Florida state park hunting???

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Did anyone treat you that rudely when you asked questions on this board Jason? Just because you know how to do a google search does not mean that all other people know how to do that. The least we can do is be respectful of other people.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rsc,

Florida will not allow you to detect in state parks, but the areas outside it should be wide open depending on where you'll be.

They will confiscate your detector in the park if they catch you using it, no question. Sorry for the bad news.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How was that rude? I didn't insult the poster, call him names or anything like. And who hasn't heard of google. It's was standard search engine, built into explorer for years.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The state of FL state "parks" might have some rules about md'ing, as most state's parks rules seem to have adopted these last few decades. Whether or not its ever enforced, unless you're a nuisance poking around obvious historical monuments, is another issue. But my experience is, that "beaches" and "parks" seem to be treated differently, even though both might be under the same authority. Ie.: the "parks dept" might have, under its domain, both state beaches, and state parks. And there might be nothing that makes the rules different for each "type" of park. Yet they are still treated differently.

For example: Here in CA, we too have dire sounding things (cultural heritage, disturbing vegetation, archaeological stuff, etc...) in our state's parks codes. And at some turfed parks, campgrounds, etc... it might actually be enforced. However, our state beaches (which is most of our coast line, as very few are city or county or federal owned) are hunted all the time! Yup, no one cares less, and it's simply gone on, since time immortal. Yup, right in front of state rangers, and no one cares less. So you tell me: If I were to walk up to that same ranger that pays us no mind, and ask him: "Hi, can I metal detect on this beach? Is it 'legal'?" He might be obliged to look up in his books, call his superiors in Sacramento to get an answer, and might tell me "no". The moral of the story is, we leave good enough alone, and don't ask.

I'm willing to bet the same is true for FL: although there may be something on inland parks, I bet the state beaches get detected all the time (unless it's some sort of sacred shipwreck salvage rights type spot, or something)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on Tom!!

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
Well maybe that's the way it is in cali but I wouldn't recommend trying it here, the rangers have more power than the state police and maybe there are a few that would look the other way but I'm not willing to bet my $1400.00 detector on it! They can confiscate your detector as well as slap a hefty fine on you! There are hundreds of miles of beaches here that you can detect on legally so why chance losing your equipment and ruining your trip? HH!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Your best bet is to ask at the specific state park that you intend to visit. Don't bother with inland parks as they will be off limits. The ones on the coast allow detecting based on the whims of the park administrator.

For example: Here in St. Augustine, there is Anastasia State Park. Detecting is allowed on the beach (depending who you ask). The general consensus is from the toe of the dune to the water line. The water is an Underwater Archeological Preserve. Many of times, I've been stopped by different rangers. Some have stated that only the wet sand is allowed to be detected. Others have stated that only the dry. And another said that detecting is only allowed in the water. Go figure :icon_scratch: . Just roll with it. By asking at the guard station (admission shack), you CYA. Then if you are approached by a ranger on patrol, just state that you were given permission by so and so. If they tell you to stop and move on to a different zone, then so be it.

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver Down has it right. I have been told many different things by the rangers. Best to ask. Here they let us detect the beach but not the surf or the dunes.

Tom

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Patrol and Diver-down, would you apply your "best to ask" philosophy, if you were to be visiting here in CA? Because if so, can you see (from my post) that you would only be asking for trouble? And I wonder if people asking isn't what caused the very trouble that you guys find yourselves in, right now, in FL? I hope that cycle doesn't get started here (people coming here and asking), because at present, no one cares. And asking might only cause the very trouble you/we seek to avoid.

It's the old addage of "sometimes no one cares...... UNTIL you ask".

And as far as the CYA proof, for a busy-bodies who might stop you on the beach, you say you'll have cya because you can say "I checked at the kiosk, and they gave me permission". Why not just turn that around the other way: "I checked the park's dept. website, and rules written on the wooden sign at the beach entrance, and saw no prohibitions on this"? Because if it's not specifically forbidden, why would someone need to ask, to begin with? And no, I don't consider "archaeological protection stuff" to apply to you or I, because, afterall, you're only looking for modern change, or that boyscout ring your dad lost here when he was a kid, ..... right? ::)

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom,

I believe you when you say that's the way it is in California.

But you have to understand that in Florida state parks, they can and will confiscate your detector at the slightest provocation. I have seen it done. Let me repeat that in screaming letters: I HAVE SEEN DETECTORS TAKEN AWAY FROM DETECTORISTS BY STATE PARK RANGERS.

Now, if you want to just go in and risk it, by all means do so. But I presumed the original poster wanted to know if its ok to take detectors into state parks (in Florida) and I must advise them or anyone else "No".

If you get permission at the ranger station (something I have never been granted), wonderful. Otherwise, prepare to leave the park sans your detector. Someone asked, since I live in the state and had knowledge, I answered. Everybody is free to do as they wish.

We can discuss the inequities of that setup (and the park system's justifications for doing what they do) all day long and I'd agree with you every step of the way, but this is the reality we're dealing with.

Good luck to all and happy hunting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
smudge, you say:

"you have to understand that in Florida state parks, they can and will confiscate your detector at the slightest provocation"

Yes, that's what you have now. I'm just asking you, and anyone reading, to ask yourselves, "how did that start, to begin with?" in hopes that this will not spread, by virtue of more people asking, in more locales, "just to be safe".

Let's nip this in the bud, and stop drawing attention to ourselves, and shed this "better run to city hall and ask" philosophy, and use FL and wherever else, as lessons hard-learned.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read bottom of page 9 http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/bos/opm/Chapter15.pdf to get info on metal detectors in state parks

I don't remember the website right now, but it is one the state of Florida has. It has arrest reports of not only people being arrested for undersize fish, illegal hunting, etc, but has reports of people arrested for things like: collecting artifacts on state land, fossil collecting in the rivers, collecting shells on an island that is off limits, and there was one or two arrested for using a metal detector on state land. As a side note, it said that they not only had there metal detectors, fishing poles, scuba equipment confiscated, but also had their boats and vehicles confiscated too. Those were all items used in the commission of the "crime."

So for those that don't want to ask......

It's always best to do your research before heading there. Most of the parks have a website and give you that info....at least some do. Some parks require you to get a permit to hunt like Fort Desoto....but that's a county park....just do the research.....

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smudge said:
Tom,

I believe you when you say that's the way it is in California.

But you have to understand that in Florida state parks, they can and will confiscate your detector at the slightest provocation. I have seen it done. Let me repeat that in screaming letters: I HAVE SEEN DETECTORS TAKEN AWAY FROM DETECTORISTS BY STATE PARK RANGERS.

Now, if you want to just go in and risk it, by all means do so. But I presumed the original poster wanted to know if its ok to take detectors into state parks (in Florida) and I must advise them or anyone else "No".

If you get permission at the ranger station (something I have never been granted), wonderful. Otherwise, prepare to leave the park sans your detector. Someone asked, since I live in the state and had knowledge, I answered. Everybody is free to do as they wish.

We can discuss the inequities of that setup (and the park system's justifications for doing what they do) all day long and I'd agree with you every step of the way, but this is the reality we're dealing with.

Good luck to all and happy hunting.

I hear you Tom and I agree. The problem at least in Florida is that the rules are written sometimes so vaguely that they are freely interpreted by rangers, often to our detriment. We may be in the right in the long run, but in the short run we lose our detectors and may not get them returned.

I can understand the "no detector" rule at historically sensitive parks, but other locations make no sense at all.

Take care and happy hunting to you.

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
Tom_in_CA said:
The state of FL state "parks" might have some rules about md'ing, as most state's parks rules seem to have adopted these last few decades. Whether or not its ever enforced, unless you're a nuisance poking around obvious historical monuments, is another issue. But my experience is, that "beaches" and "parks" seem to be treated differently, even though both might be under the same authority. Ie.: the "parks dept" might have, under its domain, both state beaches, and state parks. And there might be nothing that makes the rules different for each "type" of park. Yet they are still treated differently.

For example: Here in CA, we too have dire sounding things (cultural heritage, disturbing vegetation, archaeological stuff, etc...) in our state's parks codes. And at some turfed parks, campgrounds, etc... it might actually be enforced. However, our state beaches (which is most of our coast line, as very few are city or county or federal owned) are hunted all the time! Yup, no one cares less, and it's simply gone on, since time immortal. Yup, right in front of state rangers, and no one cares less. So you tell me: If I were to walk up to that same ranger that pays us no mind, and ask him: "Hi, can I metal detect on this beach? Is it 'legal'?" He might be obliged to look up in his books, call his superiors in Sacramento to get an answer, and might tell me "no". The moral of the story is, we leave good enough alone, and don't ask.

I'm willing to bet the same is true for FL: although there may be something on inland parks, I bet the state beaches get detected all the time (unless it's some sort of sacred shipwreck salvage rights type spot, or something)

Tom is right. Here in CA, it's better to ask for forgiveness, than permission. My buddy, and I were respectively asked to leave Ocean Beach by a Federal officier. We pleaded ignorant, as we didn't know. She explained that metal detecting isn't allowed on the beach, but you can detect at Golden Gate park. Go figure. Moving some sand is not ok, digging the dirt is :dontknow:

D

digum smacks

fort desoto, they let you metal detect even in the water. wiggins pass state park they will shoot you on site.bill baggs they let you hunt also in and out of the water.as far as i know fort desoto is the only one on the west coast that you are allowed to hunt. honeymoon island state park they used to let you im not sure if they do any more,they might still let you.also lovers key state park they used to let you no i dont think they will any more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread