Cleaning items found at the beach & what detector for the beach and water?

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning items found at the beach & what detector for the beach and water?

Hello All,

Two quick questions on water detecting.

1) While detecting the beach yesterday I dug up a large hook with an eyelet on it. It's probably about 20lbs and about 2' tall. It was encrusted with years of being left in the sand. What is the best way to clean this? I'm sure it would look great back to its original state. I also found a small heavy bar in the same condition. I'm wondering if it was a cleat.

2) My primary goals of detecting were to a) search the beaches - 70%, b) go in to the water about waist/chest high - 25% and c) eventually dive - 5%. The metal detector that I currently have (Garrett GTI 2500) is nice, but can not handle this type of detecting. What detector would you suggest up to a $1300 price range? I've heard about the Excalibur 1 and found one locally used, but wanted to do a bit of research first before rushing into anything.

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice!

Chris / LI Digger

Upvote 0

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cleaning items found at the beach & what detector for the beach and water?

I would recommend the Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II or the Infinium LS. Both outstanding saltwater machines and both very capable of diving when that comes around. I just sold my personal Infinium since I can't dive anymore, but it it an outstanding machine.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

The SH MK2 & the Infinium LS are both PI machines and will react to anything metal. Should you get into a trashy iron infested area you will have your hands full. Both are very good detectors and I have both but I think if you are not going to have several water machines you will be happier with an excalibur

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love my excal. nuff said

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pulse induction machines get great depth at the beach, but have no discrimination.

Try renting or borrowing one before you buy to make sure it is the right fit for you.

A lot of people buy PI machines and then sell them soon afterward because they get tired of digging trash.

Some people don't care and swear by them.

OP
OP
lidigger

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks all.

Last night I went to my monthly MD club meeting and I spoke with some people there about the Excalibur. They all said it was a great machine, but that the company recently changed ownership and is now built in a different factory. They no longer will repair old machines and the new ones have been buggy. I was told to wait about 6 months for them to work out the issues first before getting an Excalibur if that is the way I decided to go. The new ones will come with a 2-year warranty.

I'm still going to do research on this before jumping in.

Thank you again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions