Which Detector Should I Take?

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I'm heading out on a beach holiday in the not too distant future and want to bring a detector along. Unfortunately, I don't have a beach machine, nor have I done much beach detecting, so am looking for opinions.

I have an ACE 250, a Goldmaster V-Sat and a Lobo SuperTRAQ. I've tried the ACE and the V-Sat on the beach, and while I found coins, etc with both, I wasn't thrilled with either as the sand got wet. I'm thinking about taking the Lobo, but if it's not going to handle wet sand any better, the lower pricetag on the 250 might win out. Airlines are just too good at breaking things...

Any opinions?

Upvote 0

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not familiar with the Goldmaster or Lobo machines, I do own an Ace 250. Contrary to a lot of what I've read and heard, the 250 does a decent job in the wet sand, if you have your sensitivity set correctly. I found that for the sand on the beaches around here, ( NC & SC) if you hunt in all metal with the sensitivity at four bars the machine will do just fine. Granted it probably won't go real deep, but it does work!!! Give that a try and see how it does. HH Gene

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are going to take the detector on the plane as baggage, take the ACE. You could ship it to your hotel or where you are going to stay also.

There is a chance of still hunting the wet sand with the ACE if you lower the Sens. a lot. Your question is like telling us you are going bear hunting but only have a BB gun. You don't have the detector that won't waste your time unless you stick to the dry sand where it will work well. Sorry to be blunt, but these are the facts. Though not all beaches are the same with the amount of salt concentrations or black sand.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
None you have listed will work well in wet sand unless you really crank down the sensitivity. But the beach is a big place and you can do fine if you stick to the dry sand.

Of them all, I'd take the 250 since its lightweight and you can swing it all day.

If you can get a sand scoop, even a plastic one if you're just going for the weekend, will be a big help.

Have fun!

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Thanks all. I've used the 250 a few times on beaches with the sensitivity turned down, and had some success so long as I stayed out of the surf, so will likely take that one. Just don't go to the beach often enough to justify a beach machine...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions