Can someone help me with a XLT question..??

B

Barry

:roll: Today was the third time we went out to use our XLT at the beach..(made 67 Cents !!, not enough for the toll !!) Can someone tell me why at times I will get a weak signal and when I go over the exact same spot to try an localize it, I no longer get a signal.. or if I press the trigger I get a constant tone even if the coil is in the air...Any help would be appreciated...

Barry

Upvote 0

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Barry; Click on the Whites link on the title page. They will kow exactly what the problem is and being the great folks that they are,will be glad to help you out. Fred

Spirit

Jun 12, 2003
Philly
Had the same problem with my Classic II this weekend at the wet area's. I think it has something to do with the salt water. I just moved a bit more inland, had no problems.

H

Holyfield

Hello Barry- My XLT acts childish near lakes. I found out when this phenomenon happens is when I have my 9 1/2 inch loop on. I suppose since that loop is so strong, it may be picking up something really deep or picking up a signal a couple of feet away. Try the "BULLSEYE" 5 inch loop and when you pick up a signal you will not lose it upon pinpointing. This has solved my problems, as well as It will solve yours. Happy Hunt'in-Holyfield

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found with my XLT that usually when the target disappears, the coin or object is right in the center of the bottom of the hole. This is a phenomenom that a lot of detectors have. Don't know what causes it, but next time it happens remove some of the dirt at the bottom of the hole and scan it outside the hole, then scan the hole again. Bet you will find the coin. Also, you might as well throw that xlt in the trash if you are going to use it to hunt anywhere near water. They are known to be notoriously squirlly near the water. I love my minelab for water hunting it's the best. Ever since I went to a detector that all I have to do to run it is turn it on, I hardly ever even use the xlt anymore. To many gadgets. I just want to hunt, not play with my detector to get it to do what i want. I have a computer if I want to be frustrated with a million settings! LOL

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently tried out the MXT near salt, and had teh similar experience of having the target fade out over repeated passes-- presumably this was because the automatic ground balancing assumed that the target was too similar to mineralization. I dug anyway, in most cases recovering small foil.

I have a friend who uses the DFX on salt beaches and does well with it-- he recently found a nice platinum ring.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hockeyplayer, I believe that is what my friend is using-- standard 9.5 coil, and the shaft and coil are waterproof. (Confirm this in your manual!) He keeps a plastic bag over the control box when getting near waves, however, as this is NOT waterproof.

N

nutso

I have an xlt and a specrum and they are both fine in shallow water or wet ground if you are using the right program.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
If you do not have much experience with the XLT stay in the dry sand at thee beach. I would also recommend the bigfoot coil for the beach. Covers more ground and does not react to mineralization as bad. the XLT can be used in the wet sand with great success if you turn the transmit boost off and make some other adjustments. May want to turn auto track off and manually ground balance. Good luck and keep it up it takes some time to learn but it is a great detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread