food for thought

D

digum smacks

attitude or state of mind before going hunting, i find is almost always key to finding gold.so many times myself and friends will go hunting and say before you get there. "we arent going to find anything". a nd the conclusion is almost always finding nothing. but when spirits are high and you are hyped up knowing you are going to find gold,almost always the yellow pops up.the other day i found a nice platinum diamond ring,the next day i go hunting and find a $240 pair of costa del mars.well heres where it changed.the guy who lost them left and said"there is something in it if you find them"and would be back in 45min. well i found them and waited till he got back in the boat,he pulls up hands me a can of soda and high tails it out of there.from then all day nothing ,my state of mind was shot and i found squat after that.sometime regrouping makes all the difference in the world when you are out hunting.

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean. Sometimes I simply don't want to be there, or my mind is preoccupied, on those days I seldom find anything worth the time. On the other hand, (and to borrow a phrase from Vibes that I've grown to appreciate), when I'm embracing the energy things tend to go much better.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found this to be true also. It is almost like we "wished" for gold, so it appeared. Maybe it is a little bit of ESP or those lucky green socks that used to be white.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the platinum

That's why with the metal detector I will look for an object for someone maybe 5 minutes depending on how nice they are. If they aren't nice I won't look at all. Just like someone wrote on another post one day, if I have problems with the roof of my house is somebody going to come over and repair it for free...and oh, I saw on the garage floor that my car is leaking, do you think the mechanic will fix it out of kindness of heart without charging money? We all paid a lot of money for our equipment, in a way they are our work tools...even though it is just a hobby. It's our choice if we want to spend our time looking for something for someone who already thinks we are stupid and scavengers. A lot of people have said to me while I was out hunting dumb comments about finding change, even dumb comments about oh we threw some pennies out there for you.

As far as sunglasses go, in August I was at one beach, there was this guy that wanted us to look for his plastic sunglasses. My thoughts were how lazy because the water was completely clear with no waves and the metal detector would never pick them up because they are made of plastic. It would have been different if I had been asked in a nice way but everyone has this thought like we are obligated to hunt for their things. The guy was acting like I had found them but was hiding them from him. I have seen hundreds of pairs of sunglasses on the beach in the last few years....and I never pick them.

I guess I've just had bad experiences with people wanting me to look for their things while I was out detecting. That's why I prefer to hunt on days when there aren't people on the beach. It's only me and nature when I go. Sorry if I offended anyone.

As far as a positive attitude going out for a hunt it helps. Actually having hope that one will find something seems to help more. The days I went out with the attitude of not caring if I find something are days I don't even find change.....

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
snooksion2,

You know what you said sounds about right.
I was talking to a friend of mine earlier today and said to him that San Francisco would win and they did. He asked what I thought about New York? Would they win I told him, I wanted to see them get beat. So far they are loosing.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
You have to love this hobby or it will become another chore.
This hobby is simply based on being in the right place at the right time and thats the beauty of it.
I have also had good and bad lost and found experiences. Humans are unpredictable...I'll leave it at that.

Goldinwater

Nov 1, 2007
Hurst,Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Stingwray,Cz20, Excaliber, Spectrum xlt, Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion2 said:
attitude or state of mind before going hunting, i find is almost always key to finding gold.so many times myself and friends will go hunting and say before you get there. "we arent going to find anything". a nd the conclusion is almost always finding nothing. but when spirits are high and you are hyped up knowing you are going to find gold,almost always the yellow pops up.the other day i found a nice platinum diamond ring,the next day i go hunting and find a $240 pair of costa del mars.well heres where it changed.the guy who lost them left and said"there is something in it if you find them"and would be back in 45min. well i found them and waited till he got back in the boat,he pulls up hands me a can of soda and high tails it out of there.from then all day nothing ,my state of mind was shot and i found squat after that.sometime regrouping makes all the difference in the world when you are out hunting.
:thumbsup:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with ya...I was determined I was going to find a reale.. I hit the same area, everyday that I could.. I kept saying I know I am going to find on...I am going to find one.. well that day, I swinging and swinging and had been there for hours.. It was just me, my buddy rick, and a new hunter at that time that I actually met when I found my 8 reale.. I was so excited, I was dancing around my scooper, I was waving my detector in the air, I was hooting n hollering and running in circles trying to get my buddy Ricks attention, to which he wasn't looking my way.. I caused such a ruckis that up pops this mans head from the cut in the beach, he came up to me and said, well, from the way you been a hooting n hollering and jumping around I thought for sure ya found a gold coin...I then met my new friend Ed..whose friendship I treasure and I showed him my silver 8 reale.. he said, dang am shocked, this areas been pounded and am shocked ya found it up here..and I said, well, ya cant cover every inch.. and we laughed.. so now I am on a I am gonna find a gold coin there too.. I can feel it in my bones.. it will happen.. when, who knows, but I betcha sooner or later I will find one there.. either way, That is a day I will never ever forget as long as I live.. that to me was a thrill of a lifetime for me.. and I will treasure it always... soo folks, think positive.. gets positive results.. thats my tale.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, whenever we go hunt together, I always say to myself "I bet that SOB Dave is gonna find gold again", and you always do... The day I found the gold cross, I said to myself "today I am going to be the one to find the gold for once", and I did.... I guess I should do that every time, but then that wont do YOU any good... LOL...

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what you mean Snooksion.

When I hit the beach though, I really go with no expectations. I only hope to find something at least "interesting" and to have a good time. Whatever I find, I find. It works for me and I always seem to do my best so far when I have that attitude.

Heading out this weekend and wondering what'll show up in my scoop! :icon_thumleft:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It's a state of mind. Not trying to be overly aggressive but it's like a fight. If you walk into it thinking your going to get hurt, you're going to get hurt. Also "food for thought"..."thought" being the past tense of think. I think that guy was a butt head!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try to go out with a positive attitude but there are times when you just don't "have it". It's these times that I tell myself while I am hunting "Don't ever give up!" and before you know it your holding it in your hand! That's when I scream outloud and do a spin around and yell "Don't ever give up!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions