Excal II-- Hunting in all metal (pin point) mode. Advantages/Disadvantages

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Apparently I have missed the reason that hunting in all metal mode has its advantages.I have read posts and watched videos on this particular way of hunting--but I do not remember anyone telling me WHY! I hunt in discrimination "0" mode as I will dig anything. Why would you hunt in all metal mode and constantly have to switch back to disc. to see if your target is iron or not? They say the more discrimination the less the depth, but if you have the disc. set at 0, it really should not matter--right? Also, is the amount ( area under the coil) covered in pp mode less than disc. mode? If so it just does not seem to make sense. I have about 25 hours under my belt, so I am not an expert by any stretch--just looking for advice from seasoned beach hunters. Set me straight please.

Upvote 0

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also hunt in the discriminate mode with the sensitivity on manual.My Excalibur ll gets more depth in this mode but I know several hunters that their machines get better depth in Pin Point Mode. Not all machines are the same.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though many claim hunting in All Metal or Pinpoint mode is deeper, I feel the time wasted switching back and forth hinders the time you have to sweep. I hunt in disc mode at O (Zero) and let the Iron mask take care of me not wasting time digging hairpins. If you want an all metal hunt, why not do it all the way and hunt with a PI? :icon_scratch: I've done that and can't dig all them holes anymore. I don't see anymore depth with my Excal in PP mode than Disc, but maybe my detector is different or I am. I also think it could wear out the switch. Am I all wet? :laughing7:

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
Sandman said:
I also think it could wear out the switch. :laughing7:

I hunt in all metal as ALL my beach targets are deep, and I definitely get more depth this way.
Good point Sandman... My switch has become unreliable through constant use. Still rotates
smoothly, but the stops are not precise any more.

D

digum smacks

i find on mine it doesnt matter.ive tested it dozens of times. there is no target i get in all-metal mode that i cant in disc. mode. but i know some machines that do.only way is to test yours

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
With mine, I have found it to be more sensitive in all metal mode. I have gotten really faint whispers, switched back to disc mode and nothing.

I have also noticed that when sweeping the coil mine is more sensitive in all metal or pinpoint mode. I do not even have to pass the coil over the target, I can be six inches away from it and it makes a slight disruption in the threshold, just enough to slow down and extend my reach until I find the exact location. It is easier to listen to also.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 15 inch WOT coil on my Excal and 15x18 inch SEF Butterfly on my Sovereign......I am already hunting deeeep.... ;D

I have hunted in reverse, but like Sandman says it is a lot of wear and tear on the switch and as Snooksion says, I haven't seen a big enough difference to make it worth while.....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
stichlips

With mine, I have found it to be more sensitive in all metal mode. I have gotten really faint whispers, switched back to disc mode and nothing.

I have also noticed that when sweeping the coil mine is more sensitive in all metal or pinpoint mode. I do not even have to pass the coil over the target, I can be six inches away from it and it makes a slight disruption in the threshold, just enough to slow down and extend my reach until I find the exact location. It is easier to listen to also.
100% correct

AM/PP is more then just a chirp of the target......................Once you have hunted AM/Pp for a few years you begin to see that there is just as much information to the AM/PP signal as there is to the discriminate tone, You will notice in the video I pass many targets , hunting Rev/disc and AM/PP only, digging only the targets I have learned using both together to find treasure. There are many advantages hunting this style, does it work at every beach NO, but at most it does. Some say why not get a PI, Because you have the depth of a PI, the option of discrimination if needed. JoelB, I see you go to OC, MD once and a while? Let me know, I will take the day off and meet you there, nothing better then seeing with your own two eyes, then you can post what you seen on this thread............Also I am looking for someone that's a experienced Dual Field user for a compare with my 10 inch Amp/ed Excalibur in OC, MD.........Treasure Hunter, I got see the Wot in action also, {trip to Orl,FL/next spring maybe?} CJC uses the WOT on the Excalibur with a Amp in Am/PP, now that's a killer machine, coverage, depth, discrimination............

Been switching my 10 inch for 2 years now, when she wears out then I get to tear her apart and do a Mel Parker Modification, remote handle PP button....joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beechnut,

When you are close to your vacation time in Orlando, send me an IM and we will hook up and go hunting, maybe if you you and I have the time we can do a Miami trip for a couple days, if not we can hit the local beaches....... :icon_thumright:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds good, maybe we can grab MT also, 2 day trip to the south will be good....one day of video, one day of hunting........Perfect................joe

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I used my Excal, running in all metal was supposed to give you more depth. You were then supposed to check a target in discriminate.

Only trouble there was if you got no signal, was it because it was junk or was it because the target was outside the depth capability of the discriminate mode?

So you would have dig a couple of scoops just to see if you got a signal or not.

Found it to be a bit of a pain actually.

That's why I've personally switch to a PI detector. I just prefer to dig everything. Besides, my fat butt can use the exercise! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread