Finally took the new Excalibur in the water

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Went to South Beach yesterday morning. Dead high tide, so I didn't go out to far. Just waded in waist deep water to get used to this machine. tourist and spring break is over so, not a lot of action on the beach. Next good day should be the 4th of July, can't wait!! Simple to use and love the tones! Didn't find any gold, but I know that if I sweep over it, it'll come since it seems to find the pop tops fine!

Just some clad and a Susan B Anthony, which is a first for me.

Thanks for looking! ;D

HH 8) surfrat

Attachments

• MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Surfrat with the Minelab. Neilo and I and a couple other know how good these machines are for dry, wet or in the water.

I tape my coil wire along the side so it cuts water resistance and natch I wear the control unit around my neck.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it does love pull tabs

but it loves gold and siver more and do not forget sinkers --------man

it is one great beach machine

good luck and post up that gold--------------u will be rolling in it soon, but do not wait unitl the 4th of july

sunday is long enough

max

OP
OP
surfrat96

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
it does love pull tabs

but it loves gold and siver more and do not forget sinkers --------man

it is one great beach machine

good luck and post up that gold--------------u will be rolling in it soon, but do not wait unitl the 4th of july

sunday is long enough

max

Max, do the sinkers give the same tone as the gold? Seems like when I tested it at home the gold gave a tone in the middle range, and bottlecaps really low. I must of dug about 20-30 bottlcaps this morning, and started skipping them when I recognized the tone really good. I'm I making a mistake by doing this?

Thanks and HH 8) surfrat

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surfrat

u just need to wait for low tide

b u t

all these new pop tops, bottle caps whatever................the 2005 versions are hard to not dig, they are all made out of something that sounds good................round to beat, but they should give a like doulbe beep sometimes

sinkers are kinda low like gold for me...................nickels and pull tags are the sounds that really get u excited.
small gold rings will be even lower as gold braclets....................

belived me, u will get use to the sounds pretty fast where u are located........................dreams are made in florida

tb

Mar 24, 2005
Nice find on the Susan B. Anthony. I agree, if you're in South Florida, I'd hit that beach every spare chance you have. Good luck.

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Surf, you will probably dig a bunch of Susan B's from the south Florida area. They were (and maybe still are) being used as MetroRail tokens when I lived down there years ago. And congrats on your Excal purchase.. So far, I really like mine and can't wait to get out and get wet when I can with mine.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Surf you have a good machine for sure, I have been using one for close on ten years and have seen some great finds. One thing I would strongly recommend is dont hip mount the machine, I have seen so many machines develop water leaks on the cable connections mainly caused through the owners over straining the coil and earphone leads.this in turn leads to costly repairs. See if you can get a balanced shaft this makes the machine very easy to handle with no threat of cable damage.Bill Babs makes them and they are readily available. Good luck with your hunting, best tip I can give you is buy yourself a really good long handled scoop and dig every signal. I set mine up with discrimination turned on but in minimum setting, volume flat out, sensitivity set not in auto but turned up to a setting where false signals start then turned back until they have just stopped.Threshold set so you can just hear it. You will find if you run the machine in all metal it will not detect as deeply.
hope you find plenty seeya Neilo ;D

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Just to make sure I am not nuts. Are you referring to the coin right above the tabs in the as the Suzy B? From what I see it looks like a Sackajawhatever type dollar. Just an observation. Good luck with the Xcal, I eventually want to pick one of those up as well, sorta minelab adicted these days.

OP
OP
surfrat96

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
neilo said:
Hi Surf you have a good machine for sure, I have been using one for close on ten years and have seen some great finds. One thing I would strongly recommend is dont hip mount the machine, I have seen so many machines develop water leaks on the cable connections mainly caused through the owners over straining the coil and earphone leads.this in turn leads to costly repairs. See if you can get a balanced shaft this makes the machine very easy to handle with no threat of cable damage.Bill Babs makes them and they are readily available. Good luck with your hunting, best tip I can give you is buy yourself a really good long handled scoop and dig every signal. I set mine up with discrimination turned on but in minimum setting, volume flat out, sensitivity set not in auto but turned up to a setting where false signals start then turned back until they have just stopped.Threshold set so you can just hear it. You will find if you run the machine in all metal it will not detect as deeply.
hope you find plenty seeya Neilo ;D

Neilo, thanks for the tips on the settings you use. It's pretty much exactly how I've got mine set up! When I ordered the machine I had bought a balanced straight shaft. Highly recommended!! I don't find needing to hip mount in the water, the weight isn't bad. Had a Quattro previous to this, and that seemed heavier and had to use a bungee.

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
surfrat96

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Visionquest said:
Just to make sure I am not nuts. Are you referring to the coin right above the tabs in the as the Suzy B? From what I see it looks like a Sackajawhatever type dollar. Just an observation. Good luck with the Xcal, I eventually want to pick one of those up as well, sorta minelab adicted these days.

Yes, it's the one above the pull tabs. I double checked it and it is a Suzy B. Minelab's are great machines. This is my 2nd one. I see you have a quiver of them!

HH 8) surfrat

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Thats cool, I am blind. I thought it looked gold colored like the image below. I suppose I am getting older :(
I have found a couple of the ones like below. I used to have a ton of Susan B's but the stupid things look so much like quarters, I probably spent them without thinking about it. I not only want an XCal, I am thinking GP3500 before AZ this winter too. Like I said, completely addicted to the Minelabs :D

Attachments

• sacagawea.jpg
    sacagawea.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 385
OP
OP
surfrat96

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Visionquest said:
Thats cool, I am blind. I thought it looked gold colored like the image below. I suppose I am getting older :(
I have found a couple of the ones like below. I used to have a ton of Susan B's but the stupid things look so much like quarters, I probably spent them without thinking about it. I not only want an XCal, I am thinking GP3500 before AZ this winter too. Like I said, completely addicted to the Minelabs :D

That's what it should look like, but you gotta remember it's been in the ocean for a while!

HH 8) surfrat

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Does that mean the one you found is gold colored and the same as the image I posted? I am not sure whay you are saying in your last post. Not really all that important in the big scheme of things, just to make sure my mind isn't slipping too far ya know.

OP
OP
surfrat96

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Visionquest said:
Does that mean the one you found is gold colored and the same as the image I posted? I am not sure whay you are saying in your last post. Not really all that important in the big scheme of things, just to make sure my mind isn't slipping too far ya know.

Yes, it's the same as the one you posted. Just a little faded from being in the ocean for a while.

HH 8) surfrat

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
I was trying to help get to that conclusion without actually saying someone was wrong. I am trying to be a nicer, less abrasive VQ these days ;) It really is a small thing anyway, I am just a bit of a detail freak. Or maybe just a freak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread