Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I promised to post my results after taking the Dual Field out for the first time and here it is.

In summary, this is amazing detector.

First, it is a metal detector in the truest sense of the word: if it's metal, the Dual Field will find it.

The depth of this thing is amazing.

There was an air show over Cocoa Beach this past weekend, so I thought today would be an ideal time to go and check to see what got dropped. It turns out I wasn't the only detectorist with that idea. More on these folks in a moment.

I arrived a little after 8:00. I hip mounted the control box and gave myself enough cable to keep it slack and not tug on the box. I then set the Pulse Delay to its lowest settings and set the Gain and Threshold to their factory recommended settings. This created a light buzz that faded in and out, like a mosquito, but it didn't aggravate me so I left it there.

I headed down to the wet sand and as it was low tide, I had a good stretch of beach to cover. I did a sweeping search from the high tide mark to water and back again. First, I'm surprised there were so few targets, but what the Dual Field did find was fairly deep.

The stock shaft is not my favorite ergonomically and I think I'm going to upgrade to a straight shaft real soon. The 12" coil is cumbersome, no question about it and I know about its tendency to float, but as I never got more than calf deep in the water due to the rough tide action, so I really didn't get a chance to test this. However, I know that dual coil is there for a reason, so I'm going to learn to work with it.

My biggest mistake this trip was in not taking my larger SunSpot scoop, but instead taking my long handled 6" scoop. I should have known better. The tide was filling in my holes faster than I could dig it out. It took me nearly ten minutes to retrieve the bent pulltab you see below, because the of the water action and the fact that the target was about 12" deep.

Even in the wet sand, the scoop didn't perform much better. The hole kept collapsing and soon I had formed a crater trying to get to the target. Some passing Excal users took pity on my and handed me a larger grown-up scoop that nailed the target in two swipes. Bless you guys and thanks! I owe you! I guess they were kind of curious too to see what I'd found, which turned out to be the tent stake you see below. >:(

There weren't many goodies found in this 4 hour hunt, but the most interesting find was the key and chain I found at about 8" in the surf. I looked for the accompanying chest but found nothing. :icon_pirat:

Happy to say I also found the obligatory sparkler wires and bobby pin. No PI hunting trip would be complete without both.

I have found this detector fully living up to its hype and expectations and next time, when I'm better prepared with the right scoop, I hope my target retrievals will go more smoothly.

So a thumbs up for the Dual Field, just remember a big scoop and be ready to dig. You'll find what most other detectors can't.

I'll let you all know how it goes next time. Until then, Happy Hunting! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 846
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 852
Upvote 0
D

digum smacks

factory setting huh? next time you go try to crank it up but still keep it stable

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Not bad for the first time out. There is nothing special about the DF. Just dig every target and expect to dig a lot and dig deep. The sweep is a little slower than a VLF, at optimum 3 - 5 feet per second. When there is any break in the buzz that sounds different, scan around the area, it might just be you are on the edge of the target signal field. (I find that a lot) It seems that the 6" inner portion of the coil is the only area that you get a clear signal on gold or a coin. Outside the inner coil, and within the outer coil, you might get a waver in the signal, but not a clear tone change. Unfortunately, the bigger the piece of junk iron, the deeper it will see the target. I have never found any gold deeper than maybe 10" with mine. Air tested on a 8g 14k ring at about 13" max. HH, and hope you dig a lot. Ralph

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
Glad to hear you're happy with the machine. I need a good water machine and wanted to hear some feedback first on the newer model with the 12" spider coil. You just helped me make up my mind! Thank you smudge! HH!

Mike :icon_thumright:

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you're happy with the DF, guess you have many more hours of deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep digging. I know my similar PI Pro requires lots of fast scoopage. Love the new avatar :tongue3:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you like the DF where your searching. Don't forget even with the big coil you should over lap a little. The big Sunspot does the trick in the surf and I am starting to go back to using the smaller one since I am not in the surf anymore. I just got the new small Sunspot and don't have any magnets in it yet.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
snooksion2 said:
factory setting huh? next time you go try to crank it up but still keep it stable

Which part? The gain, threshold, or both?

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lacey333 said:
Glad to hear you're happy with the machine. I need a good water machine and wanted to hear some feedback first on the newer model with the 12" spider coil. You just helped me make up my mind! Thank you smudge! HH!

Happy to. My biggest challenge is getting used to that large coil. Be ready for that.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
I am glad you like the DF where your searching. Don't forget even with the big coil you should over lap a little. The big Sunspot does the trick in the surf and I am starting to go back to using the smaller one since I am not in the surf anymore. I just got the new small Sunspot and don't have any magnets in it yet.

I found my Sunspot a little big for the wet sand. I ought to look into the smaller Sunspot I suppose.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy your PI. Don't give up on the deep ones, and make sure to eat your spinach. Arty

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I have the same coil on my DFX 300 and love it! I'm sure you will get used to it pretty fast and learn to love it also! HH!

Smudge said:
lacey333 said:

Happy to. My biggest challenge is getting used to that large coil. Be ready for that.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sandman said:
FYI
K&N has some nice ones about 1-11/4 inch with a hole and are epoxy coated
I have 2 in my Sun Spots & they work super I use SS bolts & lock nuts 1 on each side of handle

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Smudge said:
snooksion2 said:

Which part? The gain, threshold, or both?

Smudge,
I believe he is referring to the gain. The higher the gain, the deeper it goes. Of course the background buzz has to be stable enough to discern the small whisper signals, so you just need to play with it some to see where it is best for your beach. The factory setting works OK, but if you can get more gain and keep the background buzz stable, you will get more depth. Try adjusting it on a deep whisper signal and see if it doesn't increase the signal response by boost the gain. Keep the pulse delay off if you can. Only turn it on to stabilize in black sand or electrical interference. enjoy the digging. HH, Ralph

D

digum smacks

first couple of hunts with this machine,huge platinum 950 with 7 diamonds.i believe weighed 15grams.it was down for a long long time and deep

Attachments

• plat.jpg
    plat.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 598
  • plat.jpg
    plat.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 601
OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FSS said:
Your not going to discover to much about this detector with one outing. I used it for 15 minutes and said to myself...people who design these detectors must not metal detect. A floating coil does not work for me. So I can't say much about it other than the coil floats bad, a lot worse than the older PI. Besides my Excal goes just as deep or better than any pi after the mod. HH

I don't expect to be en expert with this detector after one outing. This was my first and a couple of people asked me to post my first impressions with the Dual Field so I did.

I know the floating coil bothers a lot of people and they don't use it for that reason. The only problem on the twelve inch coil is if you add enough weight to keep it on the bottom, its likely to be impossible to use anywhere else. Too cumbersome. I'm not sure how or if White's can strike a balance on that.

Glad you're happy with your Excal w/mod (I'm assuming WOT coil) and that it is meeting all your needs. As to whether it will consistently meet or beat a PI on depth, frankly I'm skeptical on that one. But as long as you're happy with it, that's all that really matters. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smudge,
I believe he is referring to the gain. The higher the gain, the deeper it goes. Of course the background buzz has to be stable enough to discern the small whisper signals, so you just need to play with it some to see where it is best for your beach. The factory setting works OK, but if you can get more gain and keep the background buzz stable, you will get more depth. Try adjusting it on a deep whisper signal and see if it doesn't increase the signal response by boost the gain. Keep the pulse delay off if you can. Only turn it on to stabilize in black sand or electrical interference. enjoy the digging. HH, Ralph
[/quote]

Thank you! I will try that next time out and see what happens. :icon_salut:

D

digum smacks

side by side i had my excal2 with a wot coil.and the dual field and the excal didnt even come close to the depth on "any"item. a nickel ,a dime and a gold ring.actualy i think the wot coil on there made it lose depth not gain,it just helped me cover more area.and the garrett infinium goes about 2 inches deeper than the dual field.i tested that with a "real" peice of 8,"silver".that ron lord had at vaderbilt beach.on a trashy beach the excal by far is the best choice,but a "sanded in"beach or a clean beach the pi rules.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
snooksion2 said:
side by side i had my excal2 with a wot coil.and the dual field and the excal didnt even come close to the depth on "any"item. a nickel ,a dime and a gold ring.actualy i think the wot coil on there made it lose depth not gain,it just helped me cover more area.and the garrett infinium goes about 2 inches deeper than the dual field.i tested that with a "real" peice of 8,"silver".that ron lord had at vaderbilt beach.on a trashy beach the excal by far is the best choice,but a "sanded in"beach or a clean beach the pi rules.
Snooksion, refreshing to get an unbiased rebuttal backed up by good old field testing! Thanks !

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
garrett infinium goes about 2 inches deeper than the dual field

I have to agree, Have all 3, Infinium deepest, Maybe a few inch's? {10x14 mono}, DF {12in} second, then the excal {10in} AM/PP, but with a amp on the excal, the excal {AM/PP} can match the DF easily, but not the Infinium in OC, Maryand..the bad about the infinium in Oc, falsing, have to go very slow to hear the deepone's, But I do like the Df..straight forward, dig all based on shape, size..Adjusting to the coil, I guess.......Get CJC's Book on the Df good reading. Good Luck with your new machine, Keep us up on your Adventure's and Treasures....Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread