water hunting in the dark

D

digum smacks

never ran into a shark at night but ran into plenty of them in the day time.we used to wade fish in everglades city.we would have a stringer full of fish in tow behind us and would have to swat the sharks away, pesky things.in the keys they come off the reef at night.we would destroy them off the marquases islands back when we would longline for grouper.i commercial fished for years out of marathon and chokoloskee.the same sharks are out there in the day as same as the night

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
lmao ... you are a funny guy artyfacts,....hh

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I beach hunt, I typically follow the ultra low tides (-1ft or better). It happens twice a day, the lowest are usually at night.

I ALWAYS feel creeped out when I get deeper than thigh high. I usually talk myself into going deeper, until I get bumped and QUICKLY head back to wet sand. HAHAHA

Best-Mike

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
Don't think that fresh water lakes are safe at night either. Maybe you haven't seen some of our 12-14 foot reptiles cruising around but I'm sure they have seen you. Night time is when they are on the move. And they are attracted to anything splashing in the water. If you want to feel safe take a dog or some other small mammal with you. When it disappears you know that it is time to get out of the water. Also the Florida cottonmouth water moccasin is an aggressive reptile. He will not flee when approached like other snakes. He will charge anything that comes near him, except maybe a larger reptile

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:
bigscoop said:
A few years ago I was at New Smyrna Beach, a low tide night hunt sounded great. I was in about knee deep water and the lighting from one of the condo buildings was offering me just enough light to see the 6 -7 shark cruising around about 15 feet away from me. My first thought was, "wonder what he's looking for?" My second thought was, "Oh sh*t! I think I know the answer to that one!" A few calculated strides later and I was hunting the wet sand. :laughing7:

NSB is the shark attack capitol of the world if you didnt already know.

I knew it but it all came down to, "Hu, what are the odds?" Then there was that night I just spoke of and it sort of changed to, "No sense in increasing those odds!" :laughing7: I mean to say, in the day a shark has a lot more human meals to choose from, but at night, during prime feeding time, and you're the only one in the water..........uh.......du! :laughing7:

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I was on a date long ago in the water a little over waist deep with my back to the ocean when something roughly 5-7 feet long brushed against the backs of my legs causing my knees to buckle forward! I looked at my date and said haul ass for the beach and think I may have left a rather large ink cloud like a squid to cover our escape!! LOL!! I have NEVER been in the water again at night! POOLS ONLY!! :tongue3:

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I used to hunt some a fresh water lake that had some very large snakes. Just to make myself more comfortable, before I got into the water, I'd throw some waterproof firecrackers in (weighed). When those things went off, all wildlife took off and didn't come back for a long time and I could detect in peace. I still carry some in my detector bag......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread