water hunting in the dark

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really to be recommended in a lot of places due to dangers from marine life and the low life humans. Carry a pistol or hunt with buddies out of the water. You are OK in fresh water lakes, but not some rivers because Bull Sharks can tolerate fresh water.

D

digum smacks

i love it, do it as often as i can,matter of fact .last night i was out there,it was cold and rough though

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
gimmee a break ...cold on the west coast of fla. surely your not serious...i lived in port charlotte for 4 years, and went to englewood and venice and bonita springs all the time...year round...oh well...hh

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I hunt alot in the dark because often that is the only time afforded to do so. There are risks and dangers so you have to take them into consideration. I always hope that my car is not broken into or I am not robbed by some lowlife desperate. Also the ocean is un-predictable because of shark and barracuda behavior. They are attracted to a flash or irratic movement. Tiger sharks in Hawaii feed on sea turtles and monk seals which I often encounter in waist deep water. I choose areas that are well lit and carry my cell phone in a waterproof bag.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Well if the tide is right I hunt in the dark. I like the fact that there are fewer people asking what I am doing. However, I do most of my dark hunting in the wet sand or up to knee deep in the water. I have seen too many aerial photos of huge sharks just outside of the breakers and it is said that they feed more around dawn and dusk :dontknow: Better to be safe than sorry so I don't go too deep after dark.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to watch fishermen catch huge sharks on the pier of Indian Rocks Beach at night. That is FEEDING time for them and have seen them close to shore. I prefer being able to see what is next to me. I don't want to be the one sounding the dinner bell.

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I live in pompano and have seen many large sharks, large enough to take a man down, caught at night right off pompano pier! I wouldn't recommend it! same with big barracuda! the baitfish all come in close to shore at night and the bigger predators follow! Good luck and HH!

Mike

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a retired fishing charter captain -- I can tell you first hand about the sharks in and around the tampa area -- Really, anywhere - as all places are the same when it pertains to sharks. The shark trips we ran were from 5pm to 9pm - 4 hour trips - we'd catch an easy dozen and it was all done within 100 foot of shore. Sharks feed the most sun down and sun up. I've caught thousands of them. Tigers, Bulls, Hammers, Black Tips, Reef, Greys, and a number of great whites (although no GWs in our local area) - anywhere from 2 ft deep to 12 foot deep. The last BIG hammer we caught earlier this year was a 10 footer, in 4 foot of water, at or about 9pm est.

Generally, sharks will stray away from humans. During day light.
Hunting at night is just asking for a bite -- and no one is above it.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
captain ack1 said:
perhaps my fellow water hunters could could share their thoughts on hunting in the dark...thanks for any input...hh
Go, go in the water at night and then tell us how comfortable you feel.

When your "things" are bitten off, you'll have an interesting story to tell us.

Then we can all have a good laugh about our being "scaredy cats".

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
never did i say you are a scaredycat...water hunters are a breed apart...tough, adventurous and hard workers and full of courage, that think out of the box...we go the extra yard to find goodies...now many that responded are from fla...im in the North East..different place altogether with different rules and weather...but advice well taken ...ill stay knee deep or less...thanks for the input ....HH

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Haven't seen the diamond, gold or other Bling I would trade a "Bite" for If I hunt at night it is in the wet w/.45 & a buddy :thumbsup:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captain ack1 said:
gimmee a break ...cold on the west coast of fla. surely your not serious...i lived in port charlotte for 4 years, and went to englewood and venice and bonita springs all the time...year round...oh well...hh
Come on man.we had a cold front here the past couple of days and
it got down to the low 50's! bbbrrrrr!!!!! :laughing7:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
diggummup said:
captain ack1 said:
Come on man.we had a cold front here the past couple of days and
it got down to the low 50's! bbbrrrrr!!!!! :laughing7:
my heart bleeds for ya :laughing9:....i'm happy when our high's are in the 50's this time of year

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on recent trips to daytona, cocoa beach and surrounding fla beaches and at wrightsville beach in north carolina a ventured into the water up to my knees at night. each time after about 5 minnuites i decided it was a bad idea!!!!!! i would get "bumped" or my detector would get "bumped" and i could see stuff chasing other stuff in the less than knee deep water.
i like my "things" :icon_thumright: as montauk says and i guess you can call me a "scaredy cat" or maybe just wise!!!! :tongue3:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I was at New Smyrna Beach, a low tide night hunt sounded great. I was in about knee deep water and the lighting from one of the condo buildings was offering me just enough light to see the 6 -7 shark cruising around about 15 feet away from me. My first thought was, "wonder what he's looking for?" My second thought was, "Oh sh*t! I think I know the answer to that one!" A few calculated strides later and I was hunting the wet sand. :laughing7:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
A few years ago I was at New Smyrna Beach, a low tide night hunt sounded great. I was in about knee deep water and the lighting from one of the condo buildings was offering me just enough light to see the 6 -7 shark cruising around about 15 feet away from me. My first thought was, "wonder what he's looking for?" My second thought was, "Oh sh*t! I think I know the answer to that one!" A few calculated strides later and I was hunting the wet sand. :laughing7:

NSB is the shark attack capitol of the world if you didnt already know.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
bigscoop said:
i think my third thought would of been "where can i change my shorts" :laughing7:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dogpound said:
i think my third thought would of been "where can i change my shorts" :laughing7:

Well, not in the water...............

It seems to me that treasure won't migrate in with the tide, so it follows then that the same goodies will be there in the morning.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt 70% of the time at night when beach hunting in the summer at low tide. After a late August collision with something bigger then me I have elected to stay knee deep at night when in the surf. :binkybaby:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions