Some basic questions for beach veterans ...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey beach hunters ! I am trying to assist a friend who will soon be wintering in the St.
Augustine beach area in Florida . He is wanting to try metal detecting the beaches, and i
told him I would seek opinions as to a reliable detector in the $800 - $1000 price range.
Also, what are some basic facts , and useful hints regarding beach hunting for gold rings ???
Thank you ! Argentium.

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The basic facts are these:

1. Any metal detector can hunt the dry sand at the beach.

2. Most metal detectors can detect the wet sand on the beach, but on many you will need to turn the sensitivity down, which means you will lose a lot of depth. An MLF detector like Minelab should not have that problem.

3. Unless you have a waterproof housing, do not get the control box wet. Most coils are waterproof, so that will not be a problem.

4. Nothing can match the depth of a PI detector, but PI detectors offer no discrimination, so you will dig everything.

As to which metal detector to buy, first make a list of the features you know you want. I would then go to Kellyco and print the list of water detectors they sell, because they carry just about all of them. Stick to the well known brands and avoid their Viper or Cobra brands. Then come back here, log in, type the name of each detector in the search box above and go though the posts relating to that detector. You'll figure out the right one for you.

Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him to go to this link and read the beach and water hunting section......The entire website has great info, but if he wants to water hunt be sure to read the beach and water section...It is the saved website for the Goldenolde............

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he plans to stay in the hobby he has to do his reading before hand. :read2:
http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

I could recommend the name of detectors, but he can learn from the manufacturers websites which ones fit his needs.

Eric4229

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Just curious...I live in Jacksonville and have been wanting to get out and try the beaches. But I thought that all St. Augustine was off limits to detectors, or is that just St. Augustine proper? Are the beaches allowed between the dunes and surfline?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I live in the Old City and hunt the beaches of St. Johns county mostly. With over 40+ miles of coastline in the county, there is plenty to offer. The only beaches that are off limits are Fort Matanzas National Monument and Anastasia State Park (depends on who you ask and who is patrolling).

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Smudge , and thank all of you who responded , I certainly will look at the recommended
link . Argentium.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Silver Surfer said:
Tell him Snobirds need to stay home and hunt their own damn ground.... LOL.... Just had to say that...

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 257
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 255

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After the summer we have had here this year...if he wants to find gold rings, he might want to bring his own. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions