those nasty coins

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
okay chums ...what do my fellow hunters do with the sea spoiled coins that you find..how do you clean them so mama would be proud and they dont stink like lowwww tide...know what i mean??? and the bank doesnt call saying get these nasty things out of here... ::) i once went to the bank using their coin counter machine and wondered how much i could get in it before it crapped the bed...well it was $60.45. the guy comes over to help and says "you cant put nasty coins like that in this machine" and i said ::) why not??? he said it will break...wow i didnt know that :dontknow: so i took the rest home rolled them up and went to another bank...soooooo ... any input is good thanks ...HH ...what the hell its all fun anyway... :blob8: :laughing9:

Upvote 0
D

digum smacks

you did the right thing,use a tumbler to clean them,then coin star baby :laughing9:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I'm a novice when it comes to detecting beaches full time. I've only been doing it regularly for about 10 months. Back in late June early July I realized that I had about 30 pounds worth of those "nasty" coins. Of course not all of them are nasty but the over whelming majority are pretty cruddy. I figured if this keeps up and I stay at my current location for 4 years I could possibly end up with 200 or more pounds of coins that need cleaning. This is your new thread... "Which tumbler works best?"

The problem I really have is tecnically the movers/packers are not supposed to pack and ship money. When we moved here the packers would take my wife every candy dish or drawer that had any amount of loose change and tell her "we can't take this." It really ticked her off, especially when she realized that a little cigar box that contained a couple hundred dollars of my daughter's tips found it's way out to the truck without being packed. Fortunately she was able to recover that before it disappeared. Funny they had no problem carrying a box of cash out the house.

I've considered getting one myself but electricity here is so darn expensive that I can't bring myself to run anything unless it's a necessity. Even still there are no "coinstar" machines here for U.S. coinage. I'm hoping that the local guys when it comes time to return to the States just won't care and pack whatever I can't carry.

Did'nt mean to write a book. Good luck out there.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take the really crusty pennies (other coins dont get crusty) and put them in vinegar overnight... Takes the crust right off... Sometimes on really bad ones I may have to repeat once or even twice... I then roll them and take them to my bank...
Coinstar used to be okay, but they charge 10% now... Think about that... $5 out of your $50....
I'll roll em and deposit them thank you... BTW, my bank has never complained. And they know where the coins came from. I told them the very first time I deposited them..

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I found that a cup of white vinegar with a tablespoon of table salt works great! you'll find that most of the clad silver will turn rose colored but the clean up great other than that and I havent heard anyone complain about the color! :tongue3:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put all my coins in my tumbler. I wun them for a hour to a hour and a half depends on how dirty they are. I take them to the bank and they put them thru their counter. I have had only 3 coins that have ever been rejected and they was clipped. So the machine rejected them out. Pus the back has never had a problem with the coins that I take to them.....Matt

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put my coins in a tumbler except for the pennies, they will copper color the other others if tumbled together. Use aquarium gravel and dish washing liquid soap. Tumble, rinse and put in coin rolls, then take them to the bank.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I also tumble my coins and take them to a coinstar. To me the percentage charged is worth the hassle and time saved rolling. I don't keep any pennies, just the clad silver. I leave the pennies on a park bench or other visible place for someone else to take.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I add a dollar of 'low-tide' coins to each purchase at the gas pump. If I get too many coins, I decrease the amount of gas I buy (say, go from $11 to $6--using a ten and five dollar bill) until those coins remaining are few. I pay no commission, take no time with rolling or visiting the bank.
Don....

JMW

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 (10.5" coil), DetectorPro Headhunter PI (8", 11" coils), Tesoro Stingray (8" coil), Ace 250 (4.5" Sniper, 6.5" x 9" coils) and White's Classic ID (8" coil)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't bother cleaning them other than just a quick brush/rinse. Except for the silver, all my coins go to Coinstar, but I get Amazon.com eCertificates, so no 9.8% counting fee. Works out great me for since I use them a lot for online shopping, and they never expire. There's about a dozen other options, too (Lowes, Old Navy, Starbucks, CVS, etc.).

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMW said:
I don't bother cleaning them other than just a quick brush/rinse. Except for the silver, all my coins go to Coinstar, but I get Amazon.com eCertificates, so no 9.8% counting fee. Works out great me for since I use them a lot for online shopping, and they never expire. There's about a dozen other options, too (Lowes, Old Navy, Starbucks, CVS, etc.).

i gave up that cleaning, tumbling & rolling thing long ago.

JMW............like u, i use coinstar...........it can not see .........coins go in and a ticket comes out.......redeem for cash.....fast and easy................
NOW
i will have to look into this amazon thing .........I WAS NOT AWARE OF THAT until now.......thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread