Bad Economy = less gold

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I went to the beach 2 days in a row. Had a late start yesterday cause my Dual Field detector cuff broke and I had to make a SS replacement. Set me back 2 hours so I chose not to water hunt, just do the wet sand. Found $0.77 (not pictured) and a toasted cell phone (my second cell). However, when I got to the beach the water was flat as a pancake. I sure wanted to be in the water and I had my wet suite, but I left the house in a hurry and forgot my dive boots. Oh well, do the wet sand in my sneakers, which I of course got wet the first ten minutes. Winds were the same direction today, so I went prepared to water hunt. The water was almost flat again. In the water I found 1-quarter, 1-dime, 2-lead weights & 4 pennies, + a bunch of iron junk. I am thinking the sand has buried any gold in the water. Sand is being pulled from the top of the beach and being deposited in the water. Finally worked my way back to the shore at a different section of the beach than I hunted yesterday and worked the low tide line. Found 3 silver rings and the rest of the clad + 2 more lead weights. Beaches are still producing rings, just not any gold for me :( The one ring has ice and I thought for a minute that maybe it was a newer white gold ring that tarnishes, but alas it is marked 925. I wish the tourists could afford to buy decent jewelry. ::) ;D ::) I had fun and got some good exercise. Hope your hunt today were successful. HH, Ralph

Attachments

• Beach Treasures 004.JPG
    Beach Treasures 004.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 536
  • Beach Treasures 003.JPG
    Beach Treasures 003.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 542
  • Beach Treasures 002.JPG
    Beach Treasures 002.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 543
  • Beach Treasures 005.JPG
    Beach Treasures 005.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 537
Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like ya had alot of targets. better luck next time on the gold!!!! by the way......i think its more like,
"more detectorists= less gold."

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think your lead weghts is worth just as much as your silver rings. You did alright on your hunts....Matt

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
looks like ya had alot of targets. better luck next time on the gold!!!! by the way......i think its more like,

LOL I think your right especially when I get to the beach and there is more guys in the water with detectors than swimmers...............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:

That was a lot of digging that would have put me in the rest home. It is all the competition that I feel is soaking up the rings.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
seeker41 said:

That was a lot of digging that would have put me in the rest home. It is all the competition that I feel is soaking up the rings.

yes but, i always feel good when im finding tabs, foil, screwcaps etc: it shows the beach was poorly hunted!

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
the storm is still kicking up here and im plagued with work...the weekend looks promising...50s and a slight breeze...our fellow hunters in fla. would have a heart attack because its toooo COLD. Gold is coming your way ralph... patience is a virtue...HH

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Things are just as bad here in Florida, and we have 4-5 times the number of beach detectorists around here.

People aren't wearing as much gold jewelry due to the bad economy, and that means less finds overall.

I also think a lot of people are jumping into this hobby because of the price of gold these days, but when they find out detecting isn't as easy as it looks they'll jump right back out.

Gold is getting harder to find. If you want success, you either want to be using a PI detector or an Excal w/WOT coil because the easy surface hits are being scooped up by everybody else. Depth is now key at for beach success, IMHO.

But the gold is there. I'm just not swinging the coil in the right places...yet. :icon_thumleft:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Petersa - i look at it this way

man u had a nice spin and lots of targets and tickets................looks like u should go back and do it all over - fine results.

but

the first pic to me tells me.........u waisted almost 1 hr. digging pins and alike..........top half left side items......1 - 2 mins. per. each to retrieve............looking at the other pics, says u where on a nice area.......go back soon and find more.....spend more time there............... :icon_pirat:

nice results
good luck.

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Re: Petersa - i look at it this way

gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
man u had a nice spin and lots of targets and tickets................looks like u should go back and do it all over - fine results.

but

the first pic to me tells me.........u waisted almost 1 hr. digging pins and alike..........top half left side items......1 - 2 mins. per. each to retrieve............looking at the other pics, says u where on a nice area.......go back soon and find more.....spend more time there............... :icon_pirat:

nice results
good luck.

Your are dead on about wasting time on bobby pins. Oh the joys of owning a PI unit..... I hurt my digging shoulder 15 years ago building a dock. It was fine until 2 months ago when I threw a 8' cast net about 250 times for shrimp. Got lots of shrimp but now my shoulder is not liking the digging routine. I work through the pain looking for the yellow metal. :icon_pirat: If I had it to do over again, I would have opted for the Minelab with the SEF coil. Experience is a good teacher sometimes. I also think you guys are correct about the competition increasing and therefore less gold. Since the good targets are fewer, now the name of the game is being smart about your hunting. Be smart, find the gold and HH, Ralph

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
[/quote]

yes but, i always feel good when im finding tabs, foil, screwcaps etc: it shows the beach was poorly hunted!
[/quote]

I wish that was true, today you have many "new" hunters that if it isn't gold, they put it back right where they found it.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ralph, seems like times are getting tougher. Just the same it sure is fun not knowing what you might stumble upon. One just never knows :dontknow: Hopefully things will get better for all of us detectorists. Lord know we sure give it our best. :tongue3: I'm reminded of what made me finally decide to get into detecting this past spring. Some guy in the area where I hunt found a full set of uppers that were gold. Pretty disgusting eh? I know I tend to exaggerate, but that thing looked like it weighed a couple of pounds. (don't know for sure I wouldn't touch them.) Some dude must have really been toasted to not realize that was falling out of his mouth. :laughing9: Hope my next gold is not as weird, but would be happy with a toe ring at this point. Going again the end of the week. Wish me luck, HH to youl

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're finding silver and having fun. I've had worse hunts. You'll get 'em next time. :icon_thumleft:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about less gold, I see people draped with it but is it in the sand? I know there is plenty for the takin, but I have a pole I watch, last year it was even with the top of my head, earlier a few months ago it was at my waist, now its nipple height :laughing7:, if I could get it a foot above my head it would be payday!!!! :headbang:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhh, the old pole height trick! :icon_thumright: beach re-nourishment= deep soft sand and no storms or even favorable sustained winds leads to poor hunting.

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
I posted my stove-top silver cleaning process under the "Tools" section. I used it to clean the rings. Here is the outcome. I am satisfied with the results. HH, Ralph

Attachments

• Stovetop Electrolisis 007.JPG
    Stovetop Electrolisis 007.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Stovetop Electrolisis 007.JPG
    Stovetop Electrolisis 007.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 295

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I'm sure the gold is there. As you mentioned, its buried too deep because of the sand being dragged down from the top of the beach and covering the lower areas. Wait for the next deep cut in the beach and you will find the heavier deeper stuff. Keep the faith.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
petersra said:
gravediggermax-vabeachva said:

but

nice results
good luck.

Your are dead on about wasting time on bobby pins. Oh the joys of owning a PI unit..... I hurt my digging shoulder 15 years ago building a dock. It was fine until 2 months ago when I threw a 8' cast net about 250 times for shrimp. Got lots of shrimp but now my shoulder is not liking the digging routine. I work through the pain looking for the yellow metal. :icon_pirat: If I had it to do over again, I would have opted for the Minelab with the SEF coil. Experience is a good teacher sometimes. I also think you guys are correct about the competition increasing and therefore less gold. Since the good targets are fewer, now the name of the game is being smart about your hunting. Be smart, find the gold and HH, Ralph
I only used my Surf Dual 5 times, and I was to the point of not digging many bobby pins at all.... The double beep in only one direction was the key..
If it gave a double beep in both directions, then it was almost always a hoop earring... You checking both directions before digging?

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
[/quote]I only used my Surf Dual 5 times, and I was to the point of not digging many bobby pins at all.... The double beep in only one direction was the key..
If it gave a double beep in both directions, then it was almost always a hoop earring... You checking both directions before digging?
[/quote]

S. Surfer, You make a good point, I have NOT been checking in both directions. In the beginning, I would dig everything just to be sure I was not passing over a keeper, even the double beeps. I have found several double beep dimes and I have read that a gold ring on edge, which I realize is unlikely, could also produce a double beep. I have not found any double beep gold rings though...... When I am tired I do pass up on strong double beeps, that appear to clearly be small iron. Of course, I have also dug targets that had a strong single beep and turned out to be a bobby pin. Perhaps if I scanned them in the other direction, they would show as a double beep. I think I am in a "dig it all" rut, I appreciate the suggestion, and I will try scanning both directions before I dig the next hunt. I think I will also set some gold rings on edge and see if I can get a double beep signal from them, just to verify what I have read. Thanks, Ralph

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread