My Excalibur was screwing up today and now Im screwed!

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Excalibur was screwing up today and now I'm screwed!

Hey All,

As some of you may or may not know, I recently got myself an original Excalibur (with the horseshoe coil). I got some helpful suggestions on setting it up and went out today to do some beach detecting. Almost immediately I started finding coins. Pretty cool, (although all modern). But here's where the problems start...

I'm constantly having to play with the Threshold because it seems to raise in volume. I know that the Threshold should be set so that it is barely audible. It is. As I detect the Threshold seems to go up and I find myself constantly making minor adjustments. This may be normal as conditions and landscapes change as you walk, or the knobs just may be hitting against my jacket, but I am unaware of it. So, the first question... Is it normal to have to constantly tweak the Threshold?

Here's another volume issue (more to come too), whenever I turn the Excalibur on or off, there is a huge audio pop - and it's damn painful. Now, you'd think it would be easy to remember that I have my headphones on, but sometimes I get caught up in what I'm doing and just want to hear silence, (again, the Threshold issue mentioned above), so I just click it off. Also sometimes I want to get going and put my headphones on but do not turn on the Excalibur until I get to the place I want to begin. Is this normal - the pop, not my headphone habits?

Also every minute or so there is a loud sweeping sound as if I found a target. Is this possibly the capacitor discharging? I think I have heard this sound while watching Old Beechnut's videos on YouTube.

And now the reason I am screwed...

As I mentioned I have to make fine tweaks to my Threshold to make it barely audible. I did this on my initial outing with the Excalibur. Today about an hour in to hunting, the Threshold could no longer be adjusted. It stayed on consistently and was quite loud. Having found items and enjoying my day, I continued on. It was annoying but I did not want to stop. And now....

...and now, I am having a hard time hearing. Talk about the ultimate tinnitus. This was pure stupidity on my part. You'd think after being in the music industry for 20 years playing out live and in the studio that I would be more aware/concerned with my hearing. Damn. I sure hope it goes away.

Could the Threshold/Volume issue today possibly be a sign that the batteries need to be recharged? I'm going to do it anyway and will find out shortly, but thought I would throw it out there. I was told that one way to know that the batteries are getting low is that the machine will start acting intermittently.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Jett / LI Digger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lidigger

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Excalibur was screwing up today and now I'm screwed!

Just went and turned on the Excalibur and all seems okay with the Threshold again. Maybe some sand got into it or maybe again the batteries need to be recharged.

The other issues are still out there though.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The original first edition Excalibur was set that when turning on the detector you must have the headphones away from your ears or the tone would deafen you. The second edition corrected the problem and you could wear the headphones when turning on the machine. If the threshold keeps increasing check your battery or connections. It is not normal to keep adjusting the threshold. Someone on the forum has the E Mail address to one of the guys in Las Vegas that repairs the older Excaliburs. Hope this was some help.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if u ended up needing repairs, u can reach out to bill branin

got this from scott.

he has done work on two of my buddies excals and super fast
max.

Lookie here who I found! This is BILL from Minelab in Vegas, you know...THE ONLY GUY you want working on your Excal, IF you have to send it into Vegas, or as it were Chicago now. ANYWAY, I inquired and he said bring it on, as you can see! This is GOOD news AND another source for ikelite installation! WOW, I'm PUMPED!

"bill branin" <[email protected]>

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

If U R getting a loud scream every 30-45 seconds, volume increases and then unable to adjust threshold your BATTERY IS IN NEED OF CHARGING

OP
OP
lidigger

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the advice. I will charge the battery tonight. Still having some hearing issues today, but it is better than yesterday.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

lidigger said:
Thanks for the advice. I will charge the battery tonight. Still having some hearing issues today, but it is better than yesterday.
If it is an old battery U may not be getting a full charge I just dumped one that was doing the same thing after hunting 4-5 hours-it was a Nicad and YES (Before I get a ("TIP") I did use my SR-12 to discharge the battery to almost dead and re charge as not to create a memory about every week to 10 days. I have now replaced all my exal battery's with NiMH

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

When my Excalibur was new in 1990, it did that very thing when you turned it on. It'd pop loud enough to make your ears ring. I learned to keep the phones around my neck. After I had the on-off knob become corroded, I set the threshold and leave it alone. I disconnect the battery cable to turn off the unit. It saves my batteries incase the switch doesn't fully turn off. Secondly, I tossed the Ni-Cad pack, went to Radio Shack and got some slim 8AA battery trays and converted them to the tube using electrical tape to keep the batteries from popping out of the trays. I carry two battery tubes and replace old Alkaline batteries with Dollar store batteries usually $2.00 for a 8 pack that give me about 14 hours of hunting. I have found enough change to keep me in batteries for 10 years. Ni-Cads develop a memory and several times they'd go dead in 2 hours. New Ni-Cads run about $75.00 so I can buy 38 sets of Alkaline batteries which will give me about 532 hours of hunting time. And you can find quite a lot in 532 hours. Good Luck with your problem. :icon_thumleft: :coffee2:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

It sounds like your battery pack is not holding a charge. If your threshold problem continues shortly after you have charged the batteries, it is time to replace the batteries. If you need to replace the batteries, here is a good supplier. http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=48

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This Guy Bill branin is great on these excals, i just got mine back and he tuned it up pretty good, and he also makes headphones for the excal like the ones that they first came out and at a good price, he use to work for minelab and did the repair work and has all the equip, to work on these I've known him for years great guy to work with.
Bill Branin
10206 Cupids Dart
Las Vegas, NV 89183
Phone== 702-683-3829

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread