Need help with Excal problem

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
I just got to Florida and charged my Excal batteries, went to the beach plugged one in....NOTHING. So I tried the other one....NOTHING. I just used it this summer, no problems. What could be the problem? All I get is a click from the earphones and NOTHING. Man I hate to send it in, so any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I can not help with your problem. I just got my Excal this summer. Sure hope you fin out what is wrong with it. Are you there or the winter I see you are from Ohio. When you get back up give me a shot maybe we can get a hunt together.......Matt

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Check your charger, make sure it's working. Check batteries with a meter or I guess you could do the old tongue trick

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the worst things about the excal chargable battery is that there's no indicator light to show its charging. Since it would be unusual to have both your batteries go bad, it may be the charging plug.

I guess it also pays to get the standard alkaline battery backup for situations such as this. Are you close enough to a dealer that maybe you can get one?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
U had one of these U would know for sure

Attachments

• charger small.jpg
    charger small.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 517
  • charger small.jpg
    charger small.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 514

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
OldeBeechnut said:
Check your charger, make sure it's working. Check batteries with a meter or I guess you could do the old tongue trick

What kind of a reading will the tongue give U Low, Med or High? :dontknow: :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Detector(s) used
I did charge the batteries with a new charger as my other one went bad. It

made a popping sound when I plugged it into the battery pod. Since then my machine does not work, even with a different battery. So I bought a new charger and checked the charge with a meter. One registered 12 volts(the newer one) the older one register 9 volts. Neither one allowed the Excal to work.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a short. Can you check the connector on the detector, open the connector and see if the wires are shorted inside the plastic.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Re: I did charge the batteries with a new charger as my other one went bad. It

sandnsea49 said:
made a popping sound when I plugged it into the battery pod. Since then my machine does not work, even with a different battery. So I bought a new charger and checked the charge with a meter. One registered 12 volts(the newer one) the older one register 9 volts. Neither one allowed the Excal to work.

Fully charged mine read 13.6

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Erikk,
Can you send me the info on all this stuff? Thanks, John

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
TexasDigger1 said:
Erikk,
Can you send me the info on all this stuff? Thanks, John

sent U an e mail

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandnsea49 said:
I just got to Florida and charged my Excal batteries, went to the beach plugged one in....NOTHING. So I tried the other one....NOTHING. I just used it this summer, no problems. What could be the problem? All I get is a click from the earphones and NOTHING. Man I hate to send it in, so any help is appreciated.

A good reason why you should always have at least one AA battery back as a backup, (I have 2, both came with my Excals.)......Curious why you didn't check the detector/batteries in prep for your trip.....Sorta like checking your boat engine before you take it to the lake only to find it want start.....

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the end apart that plugs into the battery and check that, sometimes they corrode and short out, it might be that,

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Excal battery packs need to cool down for an hour or so after charging sometimes. Happened to me.Charged it,unplugged,drove to beach (10 mins) switched on...nothing! Drove home and an hour or so later,switched on...worked fine! :dontknow:

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
You mentioned the batteries worked recently and that you charged both... Assuming you charged them (fairly) equally, they should not differ from each other by 3V. It's a bit much so either the charger is not working properly (AC mains connection, cable damage) or the charger worked fine and the batteries were drained by an overload (short or salty water perhaps) in the detector side of things. Maybe check the fly-lead between battery and detector as mentioned previously. If your new charger is bringing the batteries to a good charge, with both having similar Voltages, then the fault is with the detector. The batteries are unlikely to both have been damaged, unless you had them in extreme hot or cold temperatures for a long time...

Good luck :wink:

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Dano Sverige said:
Excal battery packs need to cool down for an hour or so after charging sometimes. Happened to me.Charged it,unplugged,drove to beach (10 mins) switched on...nothing! Drove home and an hour or so later,switched on...worked fine! :dontknow:

Something must be wrong with the machine! When you charge a detector battery it doesn't need to cool down before you can use it. :icon_scratch:

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Just got an email that my backordered AC for excal was being shipped by kellyco. Not cheap around 70$

OP
OP
S

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Detector(s) used
I went to my friend Les's house and we found out is was the charger. We charged it up on his charger and it worked fine. I had burned my original one out, bought a radio shack one which only charged to 12 volts. I thought this was what I needed since the battery is a 12 volt. It turns out the charger needs to be a higher voltage, say 15 volts, that's the voltage on the minelab chargers. So I will order a better, higher voltage charger. Thanks to all for the help.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandnsea49 said:
I went to my friend Les's house and we found out is was the charger. We charged it up on his charger and it worked fine. I had burned my original one out, bought a radio shack one which only charged to 12 volts. I thought this was what I needed since the battery is a 12 volt. It turns out the charger needs to be a higher voltage, say 15 volts, that's the voltage on the minelab chargers. So I will order a better, higher voltage charger. Thanks to all for the help.

You would be better off to go to Onlybatterybacks.com or EBay and ordered the 1600mah NiMH battery pack with a peak detection charger for the Excal...That is what I am using.....Gives you a full charge in 2.5 hours and will out last the stock battery by almost twice as long..

http://cgi.ebay.com/1600-BATTERY-CH...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588a98535f

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=48

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter - the best for the buck

probably 7 or more of these in va beach alone, 10 counting the 3 i have

red light while charging and green when done.........15min. to around 40 or less.

can not go wrong for 18 bucks
http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=11535.48

have excal plug options, GT plug.........etrac/explorers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread