Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading about the floating coil problems for some of the White's UW detectors.

This can be solved by using a rubber discus as a weight.

They come in different sizes and weights and are perfectly streamlined (designed to fly through the air) for in water use.

Holes or slots can be drilled. The discus can be cut to shape if needed to fit around the bottom shaft or to keep it perfectly centred and balanced. Velcro straps would keep it in place for easy removal.

The discus's can be had around for around $7 from sport shops or "you know where".

I would like just a bit more weight to my BHID 300 coil. I envisage a discus weight of 350g to 500g enough.

I will keep you posted on how things go.

Tony.

Upvote 0

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're talking about somewhere around a pound. The actual difference between the regular coil and the weighted coil for a White's Surf PI is about 1/2 pound, or about 225 grams (approximate). Sometimes in the surf I tie wrap a 1/2 pound slab of epoxy to the top of my coil. Only in the surf. Works for me. In still water like in a lake I would rather not add the extra weight.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding weight to make the White's coil more negative buoyant with a sand filled sock velcroed to the shaft means it can be removed for when you want to work out of the water. I've used the sinking coil on a Surfmaster when diving and found it to heavy for dry sand work. I wouldn't have had to sell it if White's had the option of changing coils like the Tesoro's.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anderson, who makes the after-market detector shafts, is now offering a disc-shaped weight that attaches to the top of the Dual Field coil that prevents its bouyancy.

I don't know the price as they haven't posted it yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread