Is a pinpointer really a MUST HAVE for beach hunting(in soft sand)?

Chopinco

Greenie
Nov 30, 2010
Cancun Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Hey, i live in cancun and i got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and I've been beach hunting every vacations but without a pinpointer.
Ive seen posts about them that they make everything faster and that, but who know if they are really necessary while ur hunting at a beach with so soft sand?

Do i need the best pinpointer for this type of sand? or does a cheap one works good as well?

Thanks!!!
:hello:

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

Your detector will pinpoint a target. While a pinpointer is a nice tool to own, they are not a necessity. That's my opinion anyway.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel a bigger scoop would be more effecient use of time

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, you do not need a pinpointer for the beach. Since beach holes in sand are a breeze, you can just eye-ball the "x-marks the spot" as you criss-cross, and then dig your hole. Then just scan over your tailings, etc.... Pinpointers are appropriate for land (where you can't be making a mess in turf, and have to pry out targets from beneath roots, rocks, etc.....) But on the beach, they are unnecessary.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only use a pinpointer when land hunting because I want to make the least mess and dig the smallest holes possible.

I never use the pinpointer at the beach. I can scoop as much sand as I want and just kick it back in once I've retrieved the target.

If all you do is beach hunt, I think a pinpointer would be an unnecessary expense.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
I carry one of two pinpointers at every beach hunt and use them on average of 1 in 10 targets, sometimes more sometimes less.
Main reason for using a pinpointer, I often use PI detectors with big coils or when using a VLF detector it's always in all metal mode.
I have scopes but only use them in water hunting from knee deep to chest depth.
Some of the targets are so small they slip through the holes in the scope and so I find it faster to just use a digging tool with a long handle, pinpoint with the detector first,....... see or feel the target,........ if target is elusive the pinpointer is used.
When family beach hunting with a child or grand child, they get to carry the pinpointer and find the dug up target, there are much excitement and many big smiles this way and they get to fill the hole, if they decide to stay and play in the hole you get back the pinpointer and proceed with detecting activities as normal.

ivanll

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I guess its a matter of preference but I have a bullseye II and recently started using it on the beach as I found it expedites finding small items in the sand pile but as I said everyone is different and has they're own preference and you can't really say anyway is right or wrong or better or worse. It's whatever works best for you and you're comfortable with! Always try whatever methods or techniques that are available and make your own decision!

HH,

Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
No, you do not need a pinpointer for the beach. Since beach holes in sand are a breeze, you can just eye-ball the "x-marks the spot" as you criss-cross, and then dig your hole. Then just scan over your tailings, etc.... Pinpointers are appropriate for land (where you can't be making a mess in turf, and have to pry out targets from beneath roots, rocks, etc.....) But on the beach, they are unnecessary.

Besides Tom's advice, a pinpointer will slow you down on the beach. You can sorta X the spot and take a scoop of sand to see if you captured it. If you didn't, getting out the pinpointer will slow you down. Just take another scoop of sand. The more ground you are able to sweep over the more targets you'll dig an that is how you improve your finds per hour ratio.

Welcome to Tnet also. :hello:

Sandman

OP
OP
Chopinco

Chopinco

Greenie
Nov 30, 2010
Cancun Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Well u all gave excellent suggestions! I think i made a good choice in posting this question before i buy a pinpointer.

Ive decided i will save this money, so i can upgrade to a better detector! Mine works perfectly and I've earned a lot with it, but i need a detector that will work at the wet sand close to the sea. Or even if u submerge the coil a bit.

Mine just wont work with salt water.

What metal detector would u recommend for this, lets say, for no more than 350 usd?

OP
OP
Chopinco

Chopinco

Greenie
Nov 30, 2010
Cancun Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Oh and thank u all for the warm welcoming to the forum =)

Im glad i found this. Its good not being alone on this =) even if we're all so far =)

OP
OP
Chopinco

Chopinco

Greenie
Nov 30, 2010
Cancun Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
well i dont really pretend to get into the water. It would be just great if i could search in the wet sand also, not only dry one.

And it actually could be more, maybe around 500usd
tks

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I think one of the members here has a whites beach hunter ID for sale for around $500.00 and he refurbished it . I believe his screen name is silver surfer! I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure! That is a great all around beach machine waterproof up to 25 feet!

HH,
Mike

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Hi Chopinco

Before you go out and purchase a water machine, you may want to wait until you've been able to read the reviews for the Garrett AT Pro. Garrett makes a pretty good detector so I would be expecting a reasonable detector at a fair price.

The AT Pro was designed for both water and land hunting. It is designed to safely go into the water up to a depth of 10 Ft. I don't know the cost of this unit or, how good this unit will be in the salt mineralized beaches, but it would be a good idea to check it out before making any decision on a purchase.

Good luck on your purchase,

Ralph

Wayne P

Mar 28, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Blisstool and Fisher F 75 SE
Like others have stated a pinpointer is NOT needed for beach hunting. A bigger scoop is always a good idea and once you zero in on your target the scoop will do the rest. Find yourself a good used Minelab Elite. While not an underwater machine it does well in wet and dry sand and the coils are submersible. These are always around and can be had for anywhere from 300 and up depending on model and accessories. Good luck and HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Vibraprobe 560 and DetectorPro Uniprobe, two of the best and I don't take either with me to the beach....Knowing where your coil pinpoints and a large scoop is the secret.

The Beach Brute II scoop is 8.5 inches wide, 6 inches high, 12 inches deep, and a backhoe when digging.....Mine also has a stainless steel lip added......To me 3 of the big advantages for a good beach hunting trip is a large DD coil, recovering the target as quick as possible and moving on to the next target.......Well that and being lucky :laughing9:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I use my Garrett pro on very small finds that refuse to stay in the scoop, and also on finds where i dig 4-5 scoops out and the targets still down there.Not needed though.Handfuls of sand passed across the coil works.(don't wear watches,rings etc lol.)

As for a good medium beach machine?...Try the Minelab X-terra 305. Coils waterproof (box isn't),and i found it to be an excellent finder of goodies on the beaches when i first started the hobby. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions