Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many locals go to the beaches over the winter, so pickings may be slim.

Cold to them is under 80. I've been on the beach in my swim suit, and seen some local guy in a snowmobile suit.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
CWB is hunted very hard by many detectorist including me but .... they don't get it all. I have never done very well hunting in the water there but do pretty good in the dry sand. Think about it..... It's a big beach and jewelry and coins are very small by comparison. You may not find anything at all but then..... you just might find something nice. Since you are going to Clearwater... you might give Sand Key a try too while you are at it. It's just across the bridge. Good luck!

:wink:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know ! One time there were 14 hunters in the water and I found 4 gold. Other times there were only 2 of us hunting and I didn't find any gold. You may hit a good day if sand has moved around. Good Luck!

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
Not many locals go to the beaches over the winter, so pickings may be slim.

Cold to them is under 80. I've been on the beach in my swim suit, and seen some local guy in a snowmobile suit.
:laughing9: :laughing9: Don"t under estimate a cracker :tongue3:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pounded, by many, daily. Still lots of goods to be found.
If there at 6p or after, park across from Pier 60 at the marina.
Parking is free there and then. If not, its $1.50 per hr or $2 on weekend.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Everyones answers above my post are correct ;D Here is some additional information. During that time period it's spring break here and there is an influx of students and traffic is really bad. Tons of teens and colledge students means additional targets in the water and on the beach. You never know what you will find this time of the year. Water temperature well I have been hunting Clearwater beach for the past 10 years and I still don't own a wet suit! When I detect it's usually for 6 to 8 hours. Sometimes I do good other times I always have find change, ear rings, bobby pins, pull tabs and bottle caps. But hey that's all part of the fun andexercise program for detecting in anytime on water or on land. The treasure to me is the people I meet, the sunrise's and sunset's, the dolphins that greet me, the other ocean creatures I see and discover. Oh yes the other detectorist I have the pleasure to share the beaches and surf with. Hope to see you there.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
kcbull10, you have a great outlook on having a good day hunting.

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Thank you, everyone, for your honest feedback and assistance. It means a lot to me that all of you would share your insights.
A few questions come up for me now based on more research and looking at your comments:
1) What kind of detector(s) AND coil(s) do you use?
2) I noticed in aerial pictures of the beach that the umbrellas are all in rows. Do they space the umbrellas out so far apart? Are they permanent? What's the deal with the straight rows?
3) Any tips on hotels to stay at or avoid?
4) Is the beach open for detecting in both directions from the pier? Any areas you know are closed off?
5) Do you know of any areas close by where there are gators...I want to be able to show my wife some of them in the wild?
Thanks again for your help. I hope I run into some of you on the beach.
Peace,
T-man

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I use an Excalibur 1000.
The beach can be detected in both directions no restrictions. The umbrellas are positioned by the vendors and they are not permanent they don't measure the distance, but they have been doing it all summer and possibly a few years so it's a guestimation distance. On guy has a beach drill that makes the holes while another guy follows putting in the umbrellas and chairs. Gators are inland in the lakes and other areas.
The best thing to remember be courteous to others on the beach in and out of the water Don't detect right next to people on the beach it makes them nervous. There are also volleyball courts there that can be detected and they have games and tournaments all the time. Fill the holes you make, if you recover a target and it's junk IE: bottle caps tin foil, pull tabs and so on please put them in your pouch and dispose of them properly. It really helps show people that we care about our great beaches. Don't forget to use sunscreen to protect yourself even if you are in the water, and most of us wear a ball cap or something similar to protect our head. If you are detecting in the water make sure you have some foot protection on to protect your feet using the water scoop. During that time of the year please shuffle your feet in the water as this is the time that we have small sting rays in the area. If you step on one of those your water / beach hunting will be over! Shuffling your feet will cause them to move away from you, when you get near them. When you see fellow detectorist say hi or nod, I know that I will be happy to talk with you as many others will also.

Looking forward to seeing you on a Clearwater beach :laughing7:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
T-man,
In Florida the water and beaches up to the high water line belong to ALL of the people. The only places from the high water line down that are closed to metal detecting are State and Federal Parks.

KC10bull about covered everything else.

Enjoy your stay and do come back.

Jlinnes

Mar 2, 2011
clearwater
Can Slaw said:
T-man,
In Florida the water and beaches up to the high water line belong to ALL of the people. The only places from the high water line down that are closed to metal detecting are State and Federal Parks.

KC10bull about covered everything else.

Enjoy your stay and do come back.

Just a side note, state and federal parks like Ft. Desoto, for example, will allow you to md if you get a permit from the office. The permits are usually free and don't expire.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You can see lots of gators in Myakka State park East of Sarasota. They rent canoes there, and have camping and picnic areas. Nice bicyling too.

Cammonk

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2011
Peterborough, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I am coming for a visit in the Clearwater area during the week of February 6 - 13, 2012. I would like to meet up with some fellow enthusiasts if you are planning a hunt. I also scuba dive with my CZ21, so if there is anyone that would be into a dive and hunt that would be good too.

Look forward to hearing from anyone out there.

Thanks,

Cam.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not have picked March - Spring break
get to the beach at sunrise before the hoards show up
I have gotten gold & silver in the water down there - got a heavy gold ID bracelet
when I went they were using Sacajawea dollar coins for parking
and on a good day you could get a handful

Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread