Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Treasure_Hunter

Thread: Wats a good detector for wet sand? (salt water)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    mx
    Nov 2010
    Cancun Mexico
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Wats a good detector for wet sand? (salt water)

Ive been asking this at another post but everyone keeps telling me about submersible ones that are quite expensive, i don't really want to get into the water, its just that my BH tracker IV wont work at the wet sand close to the sea, it gets a lot of bad signals.

So, what detector would u recommend for sand wet by salt water?

Pls try to give me the cheapest options

Thanks!
    Chopinco

us
    Apr 2010
    St. Pete, Fl
    CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
    74 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Wats a good detector for wet sand? (salt water)

Hi Chopinco, I live in Florida and hunt the beach every now and then. I run a Minelab Safari. Minelabs that have multi-freq abilities have no problem going from dry sand to wet sand even near salt water. You can pick up a good one used I am sure. Not sure of how much you want to spend but check them out.
    Hope this helps you a little.
    Best of luck,
    Bunker
    Bunker

"Lost Recovered...History Discovered"

us
    Jul 2010
    Central Florida
    A Propointer tied to a stick
    25 times
    Metal Detecting

"Cheap" and wet sand beach hunting don't typically go together.

Do you have to buy new or are you comfortable buying used. That can have a lot to do with the answer.

If you can buy used, the Excalibur or Beachhunter ID are both good options for VLF detectors. The Sand Shark is a good PI unit to buy used also.

mx
    Nov 2010
    Cancun Mexico
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Wow that Minelab Safari looks like an awesome option they're going new for about 900 usd
    ill keep an eye on that one thanks! :O
    Chopinco

us
    Swingin' Diggin' fool

Oct 2010
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

I have a whites DFX 300 that works awesome in the wet sand and even into the surf a bit, Just dont get the box wet! Great depth and the 12" coil lets you cover a lot of ground fast! It is also an incredible coin shooter for inland! I have seen them used with warranty still for around $800- $900!

HH and GL with your decision!

Mike
    Mike L

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2166 times

Not all salt water beaches are the same as far as salt concentrations and amounts of magnetic black sand so what works well in one area may not in another. It is an established fact that one of the best beach detectors for wet and dry sand is the Sov GT for its depth and iron mask features. PI's are deeper, but how deep do you wanna dig a hairpin? Minelabs however hold their prices high.

(C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

OBN
    us
    83+ on the CB List, Hammer time

Dec 2008
    Ocean City / Chesapeake Bay
    ViperII / Diablo titanium scoops
    1102 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

I would go with the Sovereign like Sandman said....

Another Option is a used minelab explorer, {about 350 for a xs} in a otter box or aquapac drybag...VB Max has a setup like this with the old XS and now has upgraded to the SE...alot of the oldtimers still use there explorers with the lower shafts silicon closed so water does not run down to the control box. But my first choice would be like Sandman said...Sovereign by far the best for what you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COMPARISON.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	475478  

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    Florida- Somewhere in the middle
    MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Couldnt go wrong on the Dual PI I am selling.... And you wouldnt have to worry if it got wet... Goes DEEP, and although it wont disc iron out, in only 5 times used I started to learn how to differentiate bobby pins/nails from good target (very easy to do)...
    Just to deep for me, cant dig that much..
    You never think you need an extra machine, until the one you have breaks down...

us
    Swingin' Diggin' fool

Oct 2010
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

The only problems you might have with minelab is that if you have a problem you could possibly wait months to get your machine repaired from them! I have heard horror stories of people waiting up to 5 or 6 months to get their excal back! Whites has the reputation of having the best and fastest customer service in the business! If you even need it. Everyone with a whites I know has never had a problem, but that is only 7 people! LOL
    Mike L

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9657 times

For wet salt sand Minelabs Sovereign GT with a 15 inch Coiltec WOT coil or a 12x15 inch SEF Butterfly coil is the way to go...
    rolypolypudding likes this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Nov 2007
    So Gulf Coast, FL
    Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
    45 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter
    For wet salt sand Minelabs Sovereign GT with a 15 inch Coiltec WOT coil or a 12x15 inch SEF Butterfly coil is the way to go...
    X2. I bought mine 1 week old for $350.00 then added the coil. Best wet sand unit I have hunted with in 16 years.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors