Wats a good detector for wet sand? (salt water)

Chopinco

Greenie
Nov 30, 2010
Cancun Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Ive been asking this at another post but everyone keeps telling me about submersible ones that are quite expensive, i don't really want to get into the water, its just that my BH tracker IV wont work at the wet sand close to the sea, it gets a lot of bad signals.

So, what detector would u recommend for sand wet by salt water?

Pls try to give me the cheapest options :D

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chopinco, I live in Florida and hunt the beach every now and then. I run a Minelab Safari. Minelabs that have multi-freq abilities have no problem going from dry sand to wet sand even near salt water. You can pick up a good one used I am sure. Not sure of how much you want to spend but check them out.
Hope this helps you a little.
Best of luck,
Bunker

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Cheap" and wet sand beach hunting don't typically go together.

Do you have to buy new or are you comfortable buying used. That can have a lot to do with the answer.

If you can buy used, the Excalibur or Beachhunter ID are both good options for VLF detectors. The Sand Shark is a good PI unit to buy used also.

OP
OP
Chopinco

Chopinco

Greenie
Nov 30, 2010
Cancun Mexico
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Wow that Minelab Safari looks like an awesome option :o they're going new for about 900 usd
ill keep an eye on that one thanks! :O

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I have a whites DFX 300 that works awesome in the wet sand and even into the surf a bit, Just dont get the box wet! Great depth and the 12" coil lets you cover a lot of ground fast! It is also an incredible coin shooter for inland! I have seen them used with warranty still for around $800- $900!

HH and GL with your decision!

Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all salt water beaches are the same as far as salt concentrations and amounts of magnetic black sand so what works well in one area may not in another. It is an established fact that one of the best beach detectors for wet and dry sand is the Sov GT for its depth and iron mask features. PI's are deeper, but how deep do you wanna dig a hairpin? Minelabs however hold their prices high.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go with the Sovereign like Sandman said....

Another Option is a used minelab explorer, {about 350 for a xs} in a otter box or aquapac drybag...VB Max has a setup like this with the old XS and now has upgraded to the SE...alot of the oldtimers still use there explorers with the lower shafts silicon closed so water does not run down to the control box. But my first choice would be like Sandman said...Sovereign by far the best for what you want.

Attachments

• COMPARISON.jpg
    COMPARISON.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 908

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldnt go wrong on the Dual PI I am selling.... And you wouldnt have to worry if it got wet... Goes DEEP, and although it wont disc iron out, in only 5 times used I started to learn how to differentiate bobby pins/nails from good target (very easy to do)...
Just to deep for me, cant dig that much..

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
The only problems you might have with minelab is that if you have a problem you could possibly wait months to get your machine repaired from them! I have heard horror stories of people waiting up to 5 or 6 months to get their excal back! Whites has the reputation of having the best and fastest customer service in the business! If you even need it. Everyone with a whites I know has never had a problem, but that is only 7 people! LOL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For wet salt sand Minelabs Sovereign GT with a 15 inch Coiltec WOT coil or a 12x15 inch SEF Butterfly coil is the way to go...

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
For wet salt sand Minelabs Sovereign GT with a 15 inch Coiltec WOT coil or a 12x15 inch SEF Butterfly coil is the way to go...

X2. I bought mine 1 week old for $350.00 then added the coil. Best wet sand unit I have hunted with in 16 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread