Record keeping...

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does anyone else keep records of their finds? I'm sure there are some.

It's pretty hard for me to remember where and when I scored most of the time. I had a Finds program but it was one of those that overwhelmed you with information that was not needed.

How do you keep track?

P.S.
Sorry about the inkwell spill.

Attachments

• Record (855 x 642).jpg
    Record (855 x 642).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 449
Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Google Earth has a nice interface to put "locations" onto the satellite maps.

With a small amount of effort the icons used as location markers can be turned into photo avatars of the finds. These can be put into a system of folders by years or some other relevant time frames and then manipulated to only show what you wish.

What I liked is that I had a large build up of data about where the more productive spots were.

HH Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to keep logs and even placed little tags on the rings I found to record where, when, how, etc. I tried the I-Detect software from Minelab and it just took to long to record all the finds like they should have been. It took some of the fun out of it for me and made work out of it so I quit. But everyone should try this to see if it is for you. :read2:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use powerpoint, each hunt gets identifying characteristics, pictures, and GPS coordinates. I also use google earth to make a catalogue of sites I've been too, with finds located at each spot, contact information, etc

HH
-GC

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Job on the records Montauk3, Detailed! I guess the only records I have are hours and hours of video, guess someday when I can't get around..I will have that to pass along to old goat next to me. ::)

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
What if it falls into the wrong hand....like the IRS ;D

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Chuck in Cape Coral said:
What if it falls into the wrong hand....like the IRS ;D
I can not say in public what they can do with themselves.

I may be old, but I'm not a wimp.

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
There is something wrong with my computer screen, there are orange stripes in the same place on all the pages.

I know! It's a joke. lol

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
TexasRT said:
There is something wrong with my computer screen, there are orange stripes in the same place on all the pages.

I know! It's a joke. lol
Inkwell spill.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use the Google Earth leave a tack thingy, but no detailed descriptions, just areas, and you would be surprised if ya saw the results, but that's TOP SECRET...

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree!

Sounds like more time spent infront of the computer instead of on the beach

JerseyMD

Greenie
Jul 31, 2010
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign - Minelab SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold gets cashed in...everything else goes into Ball Jars ;D

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to take pictures of all my finds and keep a log detailing date, time of day found, Depth and tide conditions. After several hundred finds I quit logging and album keeping.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received an email from someone wanting the link for the I-detect software that Minelab offered, so here it is. :thumbsup:

http://www.ginkgoware.com/

It was very nice to use for during the winter but during the summer after a hunt all I wanted to do is sleep. :coffee2:

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: Pirates prefer not to leave paper trails. Put it in your pocket and shut yer yap! Otherwise, someone may walk up and flash a badge, take yer house/detectors/boat/bank account or something real important. If ya keep yer mouth shut it can not get you in trouble. Write it down and there will always be something nagging you in the back of your mind. :laughing9: PIRATE!!!!! Take everything and give NOTHING back!

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Les West Central Fl said:
I used to take pictures of all my finds and keep a log detailing date, time of day found, Depth and tide conditions. After several hundred finds I quit logging and album keeping.

I have not found enough for the IRS to fret about since if you factored in all my expenses, I could still declare a loss. I think the issue is stated clearly above by Les. "After several hundred finds I quit logging and album keeping." For the rest of us novices who have not reached that milestone of success yet, every gold find is a treasure. I guess after "several hundred" gold finds, it will become old hat, but for now, I take pictures and make reasonable records as much to reinforce my understanding of the subtleties of the sport as I do for the pleasure of seeing what I pulled from the grasp of the sea. Once I get to the point of wanting to sell my gold, if that ever happens, I will probably quit keeping records.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I right nothing down and sell all the gold I find that the wife does not steal. Paper work is just to much work. Gold on the beach is where you find it I see no real need to keep records on it. Nothing to be gained for me to keep records. Like sandman said makes extra work and could lead to trouble later on.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions