Strange WWI find on the beach NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When out today to a beach less hunted. It was very clear as I dug a ton of trash. I did get a interesting find. It looked good in the scoop but I had no clue as to what is was.Turns out to be a WWI Imperial German oil flask. The info I found says these were turned into lighters.
It seems that's what I found. They normally have just one hole for the top. Mine has two so a flint could be installed.Mine is missing the back plate. Maybe it's off the German U-boat U-869 that was sunk off NJ

Here's some info I found so far.

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/lighters.htm

Attachments

• IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 877
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 847
Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Strange WWII find on the beach NJ

Could have been dropped by a former soldier after the war was over too. They collected a lot of souvenirs during the war.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Very interesting. I love stuff like that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Many of these were used to make what is referred to as "trench art". I've seen them as lighters, ashtrays, and several other things. They were originally belt buckles I believe. I sold a matchbook holder that had that emblem on it a couple months back on Ebay.

!B5PVZDw!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKk!EyQPUOfyQBMs2R4rcc!~~_3.jpg

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Smudge said:
Could have been dropped by a former soldier after the war was over too. They collected a lot of souvenirs during the war.
I did not think a German soldier dropped it! LOL! But when we find 1794 8 Reales on the beach I don't think that a coin collector dropped it either. Who know how stuff gets where, I am just glad it was under the coil today.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Buried Crap NJ said:
Smudge said:
I did not think a German soldier dropped it! LOL! But when we find 1794 8 Reales on the beach I don't think that a coin collector dropped it either. Who know how stuff gets where, I am just glad it was under the coil today.

Not a German soldier!!! :D An American soldier who brought it back from the war!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smudge said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
Smudge said:

Not a German soldier!!! :D An American soldier who brought it back from the war!
LOL....That's where the one I had came from... An American Soldier's souvenir.

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Smudge said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
Smudge said:

I Know what you were saying. What I was saying funny Ha Ha! German walking the beach.
I think your response was right on the first time. Someone brought it back with them and lost it since.
Still a cool find in my book.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not forget about the wonderful Army Corps Of Engineers losing a long term battle with beach erosion on the Jersey shore. If it wasn't dropped there its very possible it was pumped onto the beach. Are shoreline is one of the most dangerous coasts due to the ever changing sand. Here today gone tomorrow . Very nice find, do not give up on that area. Arty

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
That is a very interesting find!

I love historical finds like that.

Thanks for the link /information; I learned something new today.

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see we hunt the same beaches . but never met you . i hunt mostly at night . hope to met you soon one day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread