Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
i have an RTG all aluminum scoop now and it has served wonderfully for fresh water applications. It doesn't cut it for the saltwater beaches as it is too small. The Sunspot seems to be the weapon of choice for most people but i don't want to spend $250-$300. What do you recommend and where is the best place to buy from?
John

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Look at all the past posts on this site. There should be enough info to keep a person busy for three weeks making a decision. Or just send me the money and I'll make the decision for you. Then I'll send you one that I like.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Montauk3 said:
Look at all the past posts on this site. There should be enough info to keep a person busy for three weeks making a decision. Or just send me the money and I'll make the decision for you. Then I'll send you one that I like.
U R in RARE form tonight... :blob3: :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I have the RTG 6" Aluminum Pro Scoop, been using it in saltwater for months with no problem. I don't know how much bigger you would want.
I have put quite a bit of force on it without it bending and it's lite too.

HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the Beach Brute II, it is 8.5 inches wide, mine has a stainless steel lip I added...Sold by kellyco......Made by RTG...

For me, a large scoop is like using the 15 inch coil on my detector, once I used it, I can't go back.....

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

beachbrute-1-1.jpg

Also check out the Nuttall

NuttallScoop.jpg

http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/Detail?no=1

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Put "STAINLESS STEEL METAL DETECTOR TREASURE SCOOP" in an eBay search.

I've used one for a couple months now and I am very pleased...great quality at budget price.

HH JOE

Attachments

• sCOOP 2 SM.jpg
    sCOOP 2 SM.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,079

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:

I've used one for a couple months now and I am very pleased...great quality at budget price.

HH JOE

Nice looking scoop Joe, I see it is 7 inches wide, wish it was wider, Beach Brute II is 8.5 wide, it would be nice to try yours some time though.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many types of scoops and for the areas I have hit I liked the Sunspot Stealth. The larger one is 8 1/2" wide and 12" long. Now days I like using the smaller one because of the lighter weight. Notice the magnets epoxied just past the small holes and a junk earring stud that can't slide farther back where it can fall through. I also like the wood handle that floats the scoop right near me. I would like an angled handle, but would then have to alter my lifting method of doing it in small hops with one hand. :thumbsup:

http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

Attachments

• Sunspots.jpg
    Sunspots.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,753
  • Nikon1 025.JPG
    Nikon1 025.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 955
OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:

HH JOE
thanks for the info, i just emailed the manufacturere to see if they have these in 8 or 9" widths...when detecting along the Jersey shore the smaller scoops don't cut it 4 me...waves are too rough and u end up losing more targets than you pull out...thanks

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I have this model and think its a great scoop. It takes a lot of abuse and is nice and light. If you call rtg directly I believe you can get this smae scoop in an 8" model, they just dont advertise it. And if they don't have it they will make it for you. Talk to joe he is a great guy!

RTG PRO ALUMINUM-SCREEN BOTTOM 6" WATER SCOOP (#RTG6scr)

HH,

Mike

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
If you have decided exactly what you want from the scoop-a look at my scoop
www.stavrscoop.com
here's another model, which still is not on my site...

Attachments

• konus2396.JPG
    konus2396.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 908
  • konus2393.JPG
    konus2393.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 2,692
  • P4070584_resize.JPG
    P4070584_resize.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 886
  • monstrik-10.jpg
    monstrik-10.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 873
  • Monstrik-6E.jpg
    Monstrik-6E.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 444

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Catches all the Small stuff that the others let thru!

Here is the scoop that I use, small sq holes catch all of the small stuff that the others let thru. Takes a big bite also!

Steve

Attachments

• right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 905
  • rev c floating in sifter resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter resized.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,028
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 910
  • right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 854
  • rev c floating in sifter resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter resized.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 840
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 872

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
belly of the beast - part 2

great on those small targets that escape most scoops and drive u crazy trying to re-locate them........god they sound good, but then gone in seconds for most

Attachments

• TINYWK2.jpg
    TINYWK2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 852
  • 925HOPE2.jpg
    925HOPE2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 805
  • STUDS720.jpg
    STUDS720.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 877
  • TINYWK2.jpg
    TINYWK2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 788
  • STUDS720.jpg
    STUDS720.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 820
  • 925HOPE2.jpg
    925HOPE2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 780

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shark tooth there Max. I must be strange because I get extra thrill when I find a really small target that stays in the scoop. More the rarity of the find I think. Anybody can scoop up a larger item. How many times have we tried to bring up that .22 shell or split shot that sounds just right?

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:

HH JOE
Joe, i thought i was going to go with this scoop but i've emailed the buyer 4 times thru ebay and they do not get back to me...their ad says to inquire about additional sizes but this guy doesn't respond to any emails...i really want something just a tad larger than this but after mulling it around the size of this scoop may be adequate....i really don't want to 'buy it now' off this guy as i have doubts about ever seeing the scoop ship after he refuses to respond to email....maybe i'll just look around a bit more

OP
OP
The-Bone

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:

HH JOE
Joe i just broke down and ordered one of these...thanks for the link....was holding out for a stealth but not sure the extra inch is worth the extra $90 (though most women would disagree!)..Plus i got the scoop with the 20 degree offset...Happy New Year all!!!!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Scoops are like any other tool... some people swear by DeWalt, some my Ryobi, some Makita... The only advise I can give you is don't buy the cheap craftsman! Yes it is a ton cheaper... but when it breaks or doesn't work, you're only going to have to spend the money for a real tool anyway!

the three best scoops I've had are the nutall, sunspot stealth... and that monstrous tiny-squared-thingy that steve and max are using (my current scoop). They are all great... and just because I haven't mentioned the others (RTG, Proscoop, etc), doesn't mean they aren't - I just haven't used them.

If you're going to be hunting surf - get a BIG, HEAVY, STURDY MONSTER-OF-A-SCOOP. Do NOT get a "sand" scoop, or a light travel scoop - you will destroy it.

Do the search here... expect to spend between $100 and $200 for a scoop. Hit ebay, see if you can find a used one (that's where my nutall went). Get a quality product and you'll be rewarded.

good luck
steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread