Indialantic Beach

rivercatguy

Oct 9, 2004
Indialantic, Florida
Too lazy to drive down to the beaches south Of the Sebastian Inlet today, so living in Indialantic I decided to try a section of the north beach; they've been inaccessible until recently. If you want to beach detect basically virgin areas, this is it. There were no other detectorists in sight. I was there at low tide and was working close to the waters edge.....lots of scrap pieces of undentifiable metal and then, since I dig everything, I got a high VDI signal and scooped down about 5 inches.....still couldn't find anything but I knew it was in the sand that I'd already scooped out. I just couldn't find it and then, looking down I see this small jade or turquoise colored ball lying there. It's about the size of a small pea. I lift it out and it is set in a small circular setting; silver I think. The total circumference is about half the size of a dime and there is a small loop at the top where a small chain might have run through. The metal looks hand hammered if that makes sense on something so small and is black with glints of silver showing through. It's sitting next to me now in a small cup of olive oil. I'll try to have it looked at tomorrow and have it identified. I'm not knowledgeable at all about the age of things coming out of the ocean. I've recently moved here from Baltinore where I primarily detected colonial sites. I'll keep you posted.

If anyone has any ideas or is in the vicinity, call me or email me. 321-848-6004 / [email protected] / Glen

Upvote 0

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glen, welcome to the neighborhood. I am just up the road from you in Satellite Beach.

Tom

OP
OP
R

rivercatguy

Oct 9, 2004
Indialantic, Florida
Well.........I guess I'm keeping my day job. I went to the Fisher Museum, and while they will be closed until around Thanksgiving, I did get to meet with Bill, their Curator. He was nice enough to unlock the back gate and spent about 35 minutes with me. My find was just an old silver pin of some sort with an opal. Nothing from the Spanish. He gave me some advice or where and what areas of the beaches to detect, while I'm sure not giving me too much information....lol. He's been with the Fisher Organization since the early '80's and is obviously very knowledgeable about this area. I very much appreciated the time he spent with me and would advise anyone with similar questions to contact him. I'll keep detecting.

If anyone is ever looking for someone to head out with, please contact me. While detecting is a solitary type activity....it's nice to travel with someone and compare finds and thoughts at the end.....not to mention grabbing a few beers.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can't say enough good about the museum in Sebastian and their staff..had a question, they put me in touch with John Brandon. He helped identify my find (a spike), introduced me to other treasure seekers, hell, even bought us a beer. Class act. Actually got my wife enthused in treasure hunting....now if I can just divert some of that enthusiasm....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread