Florida Trip Finds

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Spent 4 days in Palm Coast. Hunted Flagler Beach, Hammock Beach and St. Augustine Beach. Hunted with my Excal II. I found very little compared to N.J. and MD. beaches. 90% was 8+ inches and all zincs were pretty ugly--which indicated to me that these coins were the "missed ones" that eluded the locals. Part of the reason, I believe, that the pickins were slim is that when the tide goes out ( I was amazed) it really goes OUT!! I mean the area in which people play, walk, swim etc... is 10 fold compared to say Ocean City MD. Therefore my reasoning is that when $$ is lost it is spread over a much wider area--coupled with many detectorists--Well, you get the picture. Tally--$3.06 change--1 diamond? stud earring--2 small silver pieces of jewelery. For what it is worth--I had an "awakining" when I was hunting at St. Augustine beach. As I was working my way down the beach a sandpiper worked the sand for food as I worked the sand for coins--kept right along side of me for a half an hour--then I looked up and saw flipper and his friends about 200 yards out--Then I thought to myself--Its not all about what you have in your pouch at the end of the day that matters-- Just being able to get out and enjoy nature and relax--it is a gift that we overlook sometimes. HH everyone

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JoelB said:
Spent 4 days in Palm Coast. Hunted Flagler Beach, Hammock Beach and St. Augustine Beach. Hunted with my Excal II. I found very little compared to N.J. and MD. beaches. 90% was 8+ inches and all zincs were pretty ugly--which indicated to me that these coins were the "missed ones" that eluded the locals. Part of the reason, I believe, that the pickins were slim is that when the tide goes out ( I was amazed) it really goes OUT!! I mean the area in which people play, walk, swim etc... is 10 fold compared to say Ocean City MD. Therefore my reasoning is that when $$ is lost it is spread over a much wider area--coupled with many detectorists--Well, you get the picture. Tally--$3.06 change--1 diamond? stud earring--2 small silver pieces of jewelery. For what it is worth--I had an "awakining" when I was hunting at St. Augustine beach. As I was working my way down the beach a sandpiper worked the sand for food as I worked the sand for coins--kept right along side of me for a half an hour--then I looked up and saw flipper and his friends about 200 yards out--Then I thought to myself--Its not all about what you have in your pouch at the end of the day that matters-- Just being able to get out and enjoy nature and relax--it is a gift that we overlook sometimes. HH everyone

Joel,

Our beaches on the East coast of Florida are sanded in real bad, we haven't had a good storm since Spring of 2008 that has actually pulled any sand to speak of off the beach. Beaches are also hit pretty hard by hunters. The Sub-tropical storm that hit in Spring of 2008 pulled over 2 feet of sand off the beach, brought the original seawall at Daytona Beach back up, there were silver coins and gold rings being found left and right by the handful, but with in a week it was covered up again by the surf.

We need a good Nor-Eastern to take some of that sand off the beach. I am 100% convinced the beaches here are loaded with gold, diamonds and other precious stones, they are just buried too deep to find at the moment..

Swills

May 9, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
I for one am certainly hoping for a good storm to wash some of this beach sand out. Seems we always have a good trough, unfortunately it always seem to be in the same spot by a few feet. We need some of that upper beach sand to get moved more. Unfortunately I know there is more "renourishment" on the way and the vicious cycle of hping for storms will once again be in play.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
JoelB, glad you had a good time....Sounds like you found the best Treasure.........let me know next time you head down to Oc, Md.

I am 100% convinced the beaches here are loaded with gold, diamonds and other precious stones, they are just buried too deep to find at the moment..
Well Spoken, I agree also, that like your's, A many Ocean Beach's where the mechanic's are there to cause a loss and the same conditions are there to hinder the recovery This treasure is Lost forever, One can only imaging the amount of treasure that is there....For ever ring that you have heard that was lost,... a hundred times greater is the amount that is unheard. We all await that brief moment .......As the Treasure builds..................

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's even wider a lil S. It is tough hunting for sure... it has to be loaded just need a good nor easter...

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
St. Aug Beach has been renourished and re-renourished and re-re-renourished to the point that the beach sands you see has very little 'age' to it. Short of the offshore pump dredge getting on top of an old shipwreck and inadvertently raising artifacts (If I recall correctly they actually had to survey where they were pumping from to ensure they weren't doing that, given the number of historic wrecks that lie off St. Aug Beach), the only thing out there is whatever has fallen off the touristas since the last time a MD'er was sweeping that spot, or, whatever has washed up and got reburied quickly enough to avoid the beachcombers looking for shells. I wouldn't even waste my time with the dry sand.

The good stuff is buried many feet deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions