Oh my, do you think they will let us hunt during construction?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow oh wow what is under these boards?
From Ocean City Website!!!

Officials To Propose Reconstruction Of Ocean City Boardwalk
Bryan Russo
December 14, 2010 -

Town officials in Ocean City, Md., will recommend a full reconstruction of the resort's famous boardwalk to the mayor and city council. The massive project could give the boardwalk a much different look.

The mayor and council will be forced to decide whether to change the layout of the resort's most famous walkway, as officials are expected to pitch putting a concrete slab down the middle of the 2.5-mile boardwalk, while the traditional yellow pine boards would flank the sidewalk on either side.

The concrete slab would alleviate the wear and tear caused by city vehicles driving on the boardwalk.

The last time the city faced a reconstruction of this magnitude was 1985, after Hurricane Gloria destroyed almost the entire boardwalk.

But even then, officials were able to use most of the wooden pilings and stringers that are beneath the decking.

Now, they say, the 50-year-old infrastructure is rotting away, making imperative a reconstruction that could cost as much as $10 million.

Upvote 0

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Man to think what you'd find hidden under all of those boards, can't even imagine.

Good luck to those who are able!

Ralph

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would have to agree with Diver-down. I mean, a beach-side urban demolition project, would probably be no different than any other old-town demolition site. Unfortunately, d/t legal liability insurance junk, it seems that anything, no matter how silly, gets cones, ribbon, and/or a fence around it. And it's been my experience, that they are there so that no one can sue them if you slipped on a bananna peel. Also, const. equipment theft (tools, etc...) has become a big problem in the last decade or two, so for that reason too, they fence sites. But it seems that if you are not a nuisance, ........ well ...... after 5pm when the workers cut out, who's to care?

They tore up a beach boardwalk like that here, to do similar rennovations. And we just helped ourselves later in the night.

I'm convinced that if any of us here, were to ask if you could hunt ANYWHERE (even on the open regular beach, or in a sand box, or park, or whatever), that you likewise would get a "no", even if no one really cared. It's the old psychology of .... "since you asked ..." because perhaps they have images of holes, or cultural heritage stuff, etc....

I know of beaches near me, for instance, that if you pried deeply enough, into enough rules minutia, you would get a technical "no" (because you might find a coin over 50 yrs. old, or you might disturb the wildlife and sandcrabs, etc...). Yet detecting goes on all the time, and no one cares. Moral of that story? So I apply the same common sense to other locales, that ..... sometimes this hobby is a lot like nose-picking: just be discreet, and odds are, no one cares (till you ask).

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been lucky enough to hunt where they tore up several hundred feet of boardwalk. First off it's no picnic to hunt. As a matter of fact if your first to arrive, leave your detector in the car and be like all the rest people and dig with a sand scoop, hands. The amount of coins and trash just won't allow for the detector to see anything one thing. The first time I saw this there were people pulling coins and filling there pockets by hand. I remember finding over 50 dollars in a few hrs. But the best is to hunt after the top stuff is found. I did pull lots of old silver after the first week went by. Now the same boardwalk as they do repair they dig out the area underneath and spread it on the beach. NICE! BUT! There's always a but the amount of trash that comes out again over powers the detector. I have found if you just wiggle the coil you can find coins over trash signals. I found this earlier last month they spread sand from under the boards,and I only had a Excalibur with me. It was nearly impossible to keep it out of the null with all the iron trash. I did find lots of coins but wasn't able to hunt more than just a small area. And it just wasn't worth the effort. I am sure that there may have been sold gold under there. I'll just wait till it spreads out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread