fixing old or new excals

D

digum smacks

i felt everyones pain and delt with it when it began.heres how i feel about it .anyone with a half a brain can fix a excal as long as the circuit board is not messed up.bad headphones? no problem buy a new pair solder them on there "right" good to go.got coil problems? buy a good coil.directions are online if you can count to 3 you can fix it.battery problems?dont even need to buy a new pod if its not cracked,can you take out 2 screws?if your not blind and have 2 hands,a 5year old can do it.new batteries 1500mah cost $30 easy and fast to get. i have 4 excals and as long as the circuit board is good you have yourself a great machine.

Upvote 0

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens when the o rings go on the control knobs, how do you replace them? Harold

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
snooksion said:
i felt everyones pain and delt with it when it began.heres how i feel about it .anyone with a half a brain can fix a excal as long as the circuit board is not messed up.bad headphones? no problem buy a new pair solder them on there "right" good to go.got coil problems? buy a good coil.directions are online if you can count to 3 you can fix it.battery problems?dont even need to buy a new pod if its not cracked,can you take out 2 screws?if your not blind and have 2 hands,a 5year old can do it.new batteries 1500mah cost $30 easy and fast to get. i have 4 excals and as long as the circuit board is good you have yourself a great machine.
How to fix a flooded DF? :icon_scratch: :help: ;D ;D

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never had to fix mine yet but what you say seems to make sense... especially the battery idea....

OP
OP
D

digum smacks

2 easy answers. the o-ring is held in by a key.i have one that ive changed "all" the o-rings they dry rot and leak.ace hardware,or a hardware store that has a good supply of o-rings,i got mine at industrial marine hardware store. as for the df you send it back to whites and they send you a brand new bhid300,hee hee. oh let me add you need a good pair of needlenose pliers to change the o-rings and a tube of dielectric greese.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
if I can add one thing ...a good ground while your working on it....ground pad or a wrist ground

Attachments

• DSC_4927 copy.jpg
    DSC_4927 copy.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 341

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
What happens when the o rings go on the control knobs, how do you replace them? Harold
With the right source one can find just about anything, think it's more of a sleeve seal then a O-ring

Attachments

• DSC_5044 copy.jpg
    DSC_5044 copy.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 340
  • sleeve seals.jpg
    sleeve seals.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 336

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
OBN,
Thanks for the meaningful and well done photography. Keep posting that kind of thing and I will be inside my Excal just out of curiosity.

Thank you and best Regards,
Steve

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is posts like these that help us
not so handy detectorists to get
better acquainted with our machines.
Thanks for the posts and the pics.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
snooksion said:
2 easy answers. the o-ring is held in by a key.i have one that ive changed "all" the o-rings they dry rot and leak.ace hardware,or a hardware store that has a good supply of o-rings,i got mine at industrial marine hardware store. as for the df you send it back to whites and they send you a brand new bhid300,hee hee. oh let me add you need a good pair of needlenose pliers to change the o-rings and a tube of dielectric greese.

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 281
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 281
OP
OP
D

digum smacks

unless im retarded these look like o-rings to me,but mabie you have a different machine than me.

Attachments

• FotoFlexer_Photo set of o-rings.jpg
    FotoFlexer_Photo set of o-rings.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 250
  • FotoFlexer_Photo excal o-ring.jpg
    FotoFlexer_Photo excal o-ring.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 237

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for sharing the picture, glad you could take the time to do that.....never had mine out that far yet...just from a glance looked like sleeve seals, maybe another op..found some silicon sleeve seals look far Superior to the o-rings ..........got any more pics?

Hey snooksion, do you remember what size the O-rings are? And looks pettry hard to get those c clips off..any tips, I may go ahead and give one of the stems and O rings to my engineer buddy so he can hook me up with some type of replacements since I got it apart. thanks joe

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
Thanks a lot for the added information here. We can all learn together. Great stuff. Is there any way to lubricate those with silicone so they last longer, or is that a no, no?

Best Regards,
Steve

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
First time this machine has been apart, as far as I know, looks like these were coated very well with plummers silicon grease, or dieletric grease from the factory

Attachments

• SNAG-0007.jpg
    SNAG-0007.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 219

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions