Upvote 0

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Re: found a cool "coin" at the beach

Interesting coin Jim.

What's the story behind the coin. Where and how was it found?

Cheers,

Ralph

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a cool coin... :thumbsup:

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jiminsandiego said:
It's about the size of half dollar with brtitan nia and jacobus secundus on it. Trying to post a picture for the first time here.. so might not be an image :)

It seems you found an English tin half penny, from the late 1600's:

(3/4 of the way down page 481, The Coin Collectors Manual: Coinage of England)
http://books.google.com/books?id=nw...&resnum=3&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

"Of copper money, very little appeared in the reign of James II. (1684-1688), the halfpennies and farthings being of tin, with a copper plug. The reverses are the same as those of his predecessor, but they are not quite so well executed; both half-pennies and farthings have "Famulus Nummorum" on the edge. The tin half-pennies have the legend "Jacobus Secondus".

Edit: Found this after my initial post. Yep. It's an excellent find!
More info on Brit half-pennies here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfpenny_(British_pre-decimal_coin)

The halfpennies of King James II (1685–1688) were made of tin with a small square plug of copper in the centre. The corrosion properties of tin mean that very few coins survive in a good state of preservation, not helped by the electrochemical reaction between copper and tin. The objects of using tin were to produce coins at a profit while at the same time producing a coin which would be difficult to counterfeit, and at the same time to assist the ailing tin-mining industry. The coins weighed between 10.5 and 11.6 grams, with a diameter of 28–30 millimetres. The obverse showed the right-facing effigy of the king with the inscription IACOBVS SECVNDVS – James the Second – while the reverse shows the same Britannia as before. Unusually, the date appears not on the reverse but on the edge of the coin, which has the inscription NVMMORVM FAMVLVS date – an ancillary coinage. The coins were produced in 1685, 1686, and 1687.

Having been minted for ONLY 3 years over 333 years ago, I'd say you have a VERY rare find in VERY good condition! I'd hit that area REALLY hard in case there are more. ;)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Razorback Recovery said:
jiminsandiego said:
It's about the size of half dollar with brtitan nia and jacobus secundus on it. Trying to post a picture for the first time here.. so might not be an image :)

It seems you found an English tin half penny, from the late 1600's:

(3/4 of the way down page 481, The Coin Collectors Manual: Coinage of England)
http://books.google.com/books?id=nw...&resnum=3&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

"Of copper money, very little appeared in the reign of James II. (1684-1688), the halfpennies and farthings being of tin, with a copper plug. The reverses are the same as those of his predecessor, but they are not quite so well executed; both half-pennies and farthings have "Famulus Nummorum" on the edge. The tin half-pennies have the legend "Jacobus Secondus".

Edit: Found this after my initial post. Yep. It's an excellent find!
More info on Brit half-pennies here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfpenny_(British_pre-decimal_coin)

The halfpennies of King James II (1685–1688) were made of tin with a small square plug of copper in the centre. The corrosion properties of tin mean that very few coins survive in a good state of preservation, not helped by the electrochemical reaction between copper and tin. The objects of using tin were to produce coins at a profit while at the same time producing a coin which would be difficult to counterfeit, and at the same time to assist the ailing tin-mining industry. The coins weighed between 10.5 and 11.6 grams, with a diameter of 28–30 millimetres. The obverse showed the right-facing effigy of the king with the inscription IACOBVS SECVNDVS – James the Second – while the reverse shows the same Britannia as before. Unusually, the date appears not on the reverse but on the edge of the coin, which has the inscription NVMMORVM FAMVLVS date – an ancillary coinage. The coins were produced in 1685, 1686, and 1687.

Having been minted for ONLY 3 years over 333 years ago, I'd say you have a VERY rare find in VERY good condition! I'd hit that area REALLY hard in case there are more. ;)
No what he has found is a fake coin...this is a Tin half Penny :read2:

SS

Attachments

• tinhalfp.jpg
    tinhalfp.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 442

Rooster Cogburn

Jan 19, 2009
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 + PROformance coil/ Vibra-probe 580 / Waitin' for enough finds to finance an AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Makes sense. Too good of condition and obvious differences with no copper in the center.

Now I remember why I just lurk here. :tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread