lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi,

Hunted low tide / muddy flats yesterday.

Found this ring about 6" down with Sov. Elite

Also found what appeared at first sight to be a part of a pull tab, or a piece of junk metal, but I then noticed that its shape was symmetrical , so when I returned home, I checked it further ....tested14 K; looks like it might be part of a pin .

Here's pics before and after

thanks for looking

Lorraine

Attachments

• Picture 6977.jpg
    Picture 6977.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 796
  • Picture 6981.jpg
    Picture 6981.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 798
  • Picture 6990.jpg
    Picture 6990.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 790
  • Picture 6992.jpg
    Picture 6992.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 782
  • Picture 6982.jpg
    Picture 6982.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 785
  • davey jones crew.jpg
    davey jones crew.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 760
Upvote 0

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Lorraine, that is an awesome ring, and you got to love a ring that looks like brass, but turns out to be gold!!!

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
cntrydncr1 said:
You are a genius when it comes to cleaning jewelry! awesome

Thank you for that compliment , cntrydncr1. but no genius here....this ring deceptively looked in worse condition than it actually was; a little ammonia/water followed by soft brush and a little baking soda made it easy to clean

It was so easy to clean , even a cave man could've done it. ::)

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:icon_thumleft: Wow, I really like the crucifix ring. You sure turned its appearance around. Lorraine, I know you told cntrydncr1 that it was a snap to clean, but what exactly was the water/ammonia mixture ratio and how long did you work the find with baking powder and gentle brush? :icon_salut:

Bobby

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to believe those before and after pics are of the same ring. Well done :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT said:
:icon_thumleft: Wow, I really like the crucifix ring. You sure turned its appearance around. Lorraine, I know you told cntrydncr1 that it was a snap to clean, but what exactly was the water/ammonia mixture ratio and how long did you work the find with baking powder and gentle brush? :icon_salut:

Bobby

I use a ratio of 1:1

About 4 minutes total...I alternated between soaking for about one minute / scrubbing a minute. I also used a cotton swab dipped in ammonia mixture and baking soda to clean the inside band.

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Wow nice find Lorraine!

And a real nice trick ----- Brass into Gold!!!!

Are you sure you didn't study Alchemy when you were a bit younger???

Congrats on a wonderful find girl!

Cheers, :coffee2:

Ralph

D

digum smacks

something doesnt look right,ive seen tarnished 10k and rings that been down for a mighty long time,not putting it down excellent find.could it be mud dried on it because the first ring is not gold, gold 9.999 times out of ten comes up almost the same color it went down. again way to go great find :headbang:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
snooksion said:
something doesnt look right,ive seen tarnished 10k and rings that been down for a mighty long time,not putting it down excellent find.could it be mud dried on it because the first ring is not gold, gold 9.999 times out of ten comes up almost the same color it went down. again way to go great find :headbang:

The first pic sure does look strange for a 14 K marked ring, Snooksion....could be brass ; can't always trust the karat markings....will check this one out further.

thanks for the insight on this one.

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
IMPORTANT MODIFICATION REGARDING THAT "14K" STAMPED CRUCIFIX RING:

THE KARAT MARKING IS A FRAUD! :'(

Thanks to the alertness of Snooksion this evening regarding the quality of the above posted ring, I decided to immediately check it out further with my Mizer gold test kit....result : "not gold".

I appreciate that was brought to my attention; I should know better than to trust a Karat stamping.

Thank you again, Snooksion

Next time.....

Lorraine

coinrings

Greenie
Mar 30, 2008
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Got the clone but mine is brass... :( :( :(

Tested with the acid and it won't even hold the 10K. I have found quite a few pieces of 14K Brass. Hope your is good!

Attachments

• brass 002.jpg
    brass 002.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 645
  • brass 001.jpg
    brass 001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 641

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet recovery Lorraine :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Re: Got the clone but mine is brass... :( :( :(

coinrings said:
Tested with the acid and it won't even hold the 10K. I have found quite a few pieces of 14K Brass. Hope your is good!

Coinrings, thank you for the information and photos; that's what my ring also turned out to be :( my post just above yours explains how I came to discovering my error in IDing my ring.

Lorraine

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds whatever the base material. But it is not you that got fooled by th14K mark, think of the person who paid for 14K....

SKD

coinrings

Greenie
Mar 30, 2008
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
What made me suspicious was that on my sovereign the tone was coming in too high for a small ring. Usually the tone is lower then a nickel for a ring this size, this was a bit higher thought not as high as silver. Sorry yours was not good either.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread