🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Hey,
So, I would like to buy a metal detector for the dry sand and the shallows at a saltwater beach. I am looking to bye one to leave at my house in Florida so I only plan on using it a couple of times a year therefore, I don't really want to spend a whole lot of money. I would like to spend somewhere around $200. I am looking to buy a used one cause that looks to be my best bet. Ive been keeping my eye out on ebay and craigslist. When I am at the house I'm going to look in the pawn shops but I am going to want to have one when I am next there so I don't really want to depend on finding one at a pawn shop. From my research, everyone says to just bite the bullet and get something expensive cause the pricey ones are the only ones worth buying. I have heard some really nasty reviews about the viper trident and the cobra beach magnet...ect. I would like to know if there is a cheap enough detector that wouldn't be too bad to use a couple times a year (maybe a detector pro pirate?). Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks CC2 :)

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $200 dollars I don't think you will even get close to a detector. You can find one for around $600 if you wait long enough.....Matt

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
The ACE 250 works great in dry sand. It is not fabulous for wet but it will work with the sensitivity turned way down. I think I would just wait till you can spend more and get one that works in the salt water though. In florida the best finds are in the water.

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
there is an almost new whites dual field PI on craigslist in sunrise florida. I talked to the guy and he will take $590.00 for it. says he only used it twice. this is a steal for that machine. Here is the ad, I hope this helps!

HH,
Mike

Date: 2011-01-16, 12:21PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

GOLD is $1400 an ounce, will pay for itself with first gold ring! Earn extra income and get exercise! Like NEW, USED TWICE with box and warranty and paperwork and $130 aluminum scoop. Moving to Europe for teaching job. Sacrifice. $1100 invested. PERFECT The White's Surf PI Dual Field metal detector is the result of over fifteen years of research and development from one of the most outstanding manufacturers in the treasure hunting business. Pulse Induction technology has been harnessed by White's to create this all new, powerful machine with circuits that reach deeper than any other detector on the most prized jewelry - gold, platinum and white gold.
FIRST $650 steals this!
Jerry 954-695-3088

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an old Sovereign. They can be had for 300.00 And are very good on the beach.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, forget the Trident, Beach Magnet and other cheapo Chinese made brands because your time is the most important thing. Everyone that buys these are kicking themselves in the butt for going cheap.

If you were only to stick to the dry sand you could do very well with about any land detector from either Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro or White's. It is in the wet sand where most of the gold rings and other jewelry are located as Cntrydncr1 said. The king of the beach that has great disc is the Excal and the Sov GT, ask anyone as besides being deep, they are very stable. True Pulses are deeper, but you can be digging huge holes for hairpins two foot down. Of course you'll also find gold rings that deep, but we're talking about fun here and the time spend digging all that deep trash could be better spent on sweeping for the good stuff. Scoop it and move on to the next one. You would not be happy with a Pulse detector because of all the digging.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Tab Hunter

Sep 24, 2009
Tiger Shark is great for fresh water......but unstable for salt water but is ok

for dry sand at the salt water beach's..............Tesoro Sand Shark is great for salt water but it's a PI machine.....Detector Pro Pirate is Ok for salt water just be sure to get the one that has a sensitivity knob for salty sand adjustment....The Detector Pro Wader is also good and is rated for 6Ft underwater just in case you drop it or a wave crashes over your head....the depth is ok for a Vlf machine.......the best is Excal or Soverign GT....Hope this helps.......HH....Tab.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
First, forget the Trident, Beach Magnet and other cheapo Chinese made brands because your time is the most important thing. Everyone that buys these are kicking themselves in the butt for going cheap.

If you were only to stick to the dry sand you could do very well with about any land detector from either Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro or White's. It is in the wet sand where most of the gold rings and other jewelry are located as Cntrydncr1 said. The king of the beach that has great disc is the Excal and the Sov GT, ask anyone as besides being deep, they are very stable. True Pulses are deeper, but you can be digging huge holes for hairpins two foot down. Of course you'll also find gold rings that deep, but we're talking about fun here and the time spend digging all that deep trash could be better spent on sweeping for the good stuff. Scoop it and move on to the next one. You would not be happy with a Pulse detector because of all the digging.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Great advice here by SM..... :icon_thumright: .......

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON'T MESS AROUND!!! You have a house to va-K @ in Fla. and you're thinking about spending 200 bucks on a piece of *#!?*%#!!!!! Really! Get a PI and dig everything! Hell if you're only going to be in Fla for a few weeks a year??? PI and dig, dig, dig! I love my XCAL but after one year use I only trust the all metal mode!!!! w/ reverse discrimination! Most of the hunting I'm in is black sand and rocks!It's been trial and error that has helped me and I have been lucky to have a great mentor to help me tweak things! Remember you get what you pay for! HH! :icon_pirat:

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Check on rentals when you're in town . Buy one and have the shop rent it out when you're not there . It will start to pay for itself . Do you know and TRUST anyone nearby ? Maybe you could share the cost of a good one with someone else . Lotsa options .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread