harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,
I hope to be purchasing my first metal detector when the tax refund birdie drops a few $ my way in a couple weeks. I've been reading may of the great posts here. You all really offer lots of encouragement to one another, and I hope to join the ranks. I'll be retiring within the next couple years and plan on moving closer to the beach. Metal detecting seems to be the perfect hobby/passion for me to keep active and enjoy 'the thrill of the find'. My budget for a first detector and equipt. isn't real high....around the $500 or so point.

I see kellyco has some sales on, and they are close enough for me to go there, so will try to get a good starter beach model there. I'm not a scuba diver, so won't need the fully protected underwater models. Will mostly be hunting beaches after the fact of the weekend partiers, for their lost jewlery and coins, and of course all those pop tops....lol. I collect coca cola/50's, so will no doubt make a treasure chest, painted red, to fill with pop top treasures..etc. Ya gotta have jokes/enjoyment, even with the crappy stuff or else the hobby wouldn't be fun....right?

Now , other than the detector, a good scoop, I am wondering what are the other most needed accessories? A scale ???...gold testor...??? magnifying glasses....???? etc???? I can't afford to make costly mistakes in the purchase of equipt, so appreciate advice from all you experienced folk.
Thanks,
Joy in fl

Upvote 0

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Stay away from the "Vipers" and the "Cobras" sold by Kellyco. They are cheap chinese junk. I bought two real cheap (100 bucks) to see if I liked detecting in the water, both fell apart very easily.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought mine from Kellyco. Had good service and nice people. There are several memebrs on here who also sell, (mike 4H, saltwatermax) to name a few. I have not delt with them but know they have high ratings by reputable members on TNET. You can check them out by scrolling down to classified adds. Good luck with you search. And welcome to TNET

OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone for the advice so far......seems I have much to consider. Off to the salt mines now, will reply back laters.
Joy in fl

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
harleyroadangel said:
Thanks to everyone for the advice so far......seems I have much to consider. Off to the salt mines now, will reply back laters.
Joy in fl

Yes, don't hurry and do lots of homework. There are a lot of deals out there...........but beware too ::)

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from fern Park... I bought mine from K co. I use a Pi Dual for the beach and love it. In S.W. Fl I wish I had some disc. since there is so much rusted crab trap parts. The new AT pro looks interesting for an all around machine. I also run a DFX on the wet and dry and it does well too. I would see if other dealers can work a deal with ya as ya really don't need the free crap K co gives ya. I would see if some dealer would work a deal on a scoop instead. Some will some won't. Plus if ya order else where ya will save 40 bucks in tax or so. If ya wanna try out my DF let me know the wife and I head over to the beach all the time.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
i picked up the cobra as a backup ,now i am backup trying to find it in the water for fun with my other backup :tongue3: HH

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some dealers, like Kellyco, also sell demos and you can usually save some money. Check it out but as others have stated, try to stay away from Chinese junk.

KLGourley

Apr 14, 2010
Lehigh Acres, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to the metal detector, I highly recommend getting a pinpointer as well. When you are sifting though the dirt and sand, a pinpointer is your best friend. Check out www.amazon.com for either the Bounty Hunter model or Teknetics. :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though you say your not a scuba diver keep in mind the ratio of jewelry is a lot higher in the water Vs land so even though your not going to be diving you still want a waterproof detector unless your 100% positive you will not be going in the water. Also keep in mind the salt spray, it will not hurt a waterproof detector but over time can damage a non-water proof detector. There is a lot of jewelry found ankle deep to waist deep during low tides........

You can also pick up a some good used water detectors for a good price, and save a bundle on the price of a new one, many have been sold through the for sale board here, through some dealers here, and on some other MD boards.

You will need a good scoop, don't waste your money on a cheap scoop, you need one that will stand up to the test of time, it really sucks to break your scoop when your out hunting......(speaking from experience here >:( )

You want need a pinpointer when your beach hunting, but for land it is highly recommended.

A wet suit is a welcome accessory to have as well, a full farmer john and a shortie are nice, the Atlantic gets chilly even in the summer, sometimes it does what is called "upside down", the water flows from the bottom off shore to the surface close to shore making the water very chilly even in July....

A jewelry loop is nice to have for checking the jeweler's mark, but you don't really need it at the beach, a scale is nice but not mandatory to start with, the same with the gold testers, nice to have but really not needed when first starting....Diamond tester is nice, but jewelers can also test the stones for you as can pawn shops, just DON'T sell to the pawn shops...........

Good luck and good hunting when you get out........

OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi again everyone! I thank everyone for all the good advice!

My first thoughts were to just get a little cheapie detector and be like a Nike....and Just Do It! Buttttt on the good advice of everyone here, I have been reading up on everyone's comments and also taking note of who is finding the stuff I'm looking for and what detectors they are using. I really don't want to have a closet full of cast off machines. Since this is going to be an active retirement , combination hobby/passion/income producer I will be going for the gold primarily.

I also have a friend at work that is a former full time professional underwater treasure hunter. He offered the suggestion that it is very easy to drop the detector in the water, so better get one that is totally waterproof. All this good advice taken in mind......I will probably save up just a little longer and get an excall. There's been a lot of good talk about the new garrett pro, but at that price, saving just a few more hundred, will get an excall.

I was watching vids of some of the relic hunters. It made me realize a good pinpointer will be in order. Yes, a very sturdy scoop to foot kick into the sand, along with a good knife, trowel, and so forth. Will try to bargain for some kind of combo package when I buy.

I'm going to go visit Kellyco showroom within the next two weeks and just see what there is to see, as they are local to me here in Orlando. I am hoping they are dealers that also do the repair work there, as that would be the ticket, as I would rather deal with a local person I can have a face to face conversation with. In my past lifetime, I owned a snapper/echo dealership, in which I was the manager and hubby was an authorized service person for all the brands we carried.

If all goes well, I will actually put my money down first/second week of march, just in time for my vacation. Gotta take a few days to go to Bike week in Daytona, then metal detect for the rest of the vacation. I can't wait! Once I know what's what, I wouldn't mind hooking up with some folks for a fun early morning beach hunt......open minded as to which beaches, but driving distance from Orlando.

Thanks!
Joy in Orlando

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Joy.

I live in the Orlando area as well. There is a metal detecting club there called the Central Florida Metal Detecting Club and they are meeting again on Friday, February 11, at 7:30. They meet in Sanford. Here is their web link: www.thecfmdc.com.

Might be worth a visit for you. I'm a member and there's a lot of experienced people willing to give you some good advice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Hi Joy.

I live in the Orlando area as well. There is a metal detecting club there called the Central Florida Metal Detecting Club and they are meeting again on Friday, February 11, at 7:30. They meet in Sanford. Here is their web link: www.thecfmdc.com.

Might be worth a visit for you. I'm a member and there's a lot of experienced people willing to give you some good advice.

What part of Orlando are you in Smudge, I'm in NW Orlando myself, close to Hiawassee and Maitland extension.....

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Smudge said:
Hi Joy.

What part of Orlando are you in Smudge, I'm in NW Orlando myself, close to Hiawassee and Maitland extension.....

East Orlando, out by Waterford Lakes. I have the nicest view of the power plant from my back yard... ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Smudge said:
Hi Joy.

East Orlando, out by Waterford Lakes. I have the nicest view of the power plant from my back yard... ;D

Worked out your way many times. I have finished up jobs souith of the power plant and it would take me 1:45 minutes to get home due to the traffic.........

OP
OP
harleyroadangel

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smudge said:
Hi Joy.

Yes.....I'm interested in the club. Don't know if I'm off that day yet, but it's my usual day off. Maybe some of us can do a group ride to the meet??? I am in the Sea World area. Just a thought.....

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Since you live in Orlando I'd say Kellyco is the way to go. Good advice about checking out the demo and used models especially to start with. You'll find everything you need at Kellyco. Wishing you lots of luck.

JRich

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
harleyroadangel said:
Smudge said:
Hi Joy.

Yes.....I'm interested in the club. Don't know if I'm off that day yet, but it's my usual day off. Maybe some of us can do a group ride to the meet??? I am in the Sea World area. Just a thought.....

I'm not sure who lives in your area, but you can certainly ask around. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions