Warning About dangerous Hookahs

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning About dangerous Hookah's

This is a warning about a dangerous Hookah system which I copied from the General Discussion board.

Beware of Scubapumps hookah diving system!!!!!!
Posted Jan 20, 2011, 12:50:54 PM Quote

Reading this review of the Scubapumps garage built, armature hookah diving system, may very well save your life! Recently my Brownie Third Lung gave up the ghost after about 15 years of regular usage...... It was a great unit that I used for underwater detecting, in my spare time. Mistakenly I thought I could save money and get a comparable unit from a company called Scubapumps. After searching the web I found the Scubapumps Hookah, at a ridiculously low price and decided to try one out. The minute I opened the box I realized that the Scubapumps hookah diving system was a rip off, home made piece of garbage. I am a retired engineer so believe me I know how to figure out what something came from. To my disbelief, Scubapumps uses TOXIC NON-BREATHABLE air hose with nonadjustable cheap regulators. The hose is the same stuff you buy at the Home Depot for five dollars a roll. I have not tried out the unit for diving because it is completely unfit for diving, Scubapumps refuses to refund the purchase, so I suppose I will use the compressor for blowing up tires...WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!! Out of curiosity, I started the unit up and the air coming out of the hose smelled oily.. I wouldn't have my worst enemy take a breath of or a Scubapumps hookah. After some futher research I determined that statements on the Scubapumps wet site are lies. He claims to manufacture units completely in house and I have found that he purchases all compressors, most of which are not made for breathing and defaces them, claiming that he manufactures them.. The legitimate hookah manufactures I have found are; Brownie, Airline, Keene Engineering, Hookamax and Sea Breathe. According to my research they all use breathable air dive hoses and custom regulators. I hope this post will save someones life and money.

Mike
Aka Goldfinger11

Use only Hookah systems from only the major manufactures like Kneene, Airline, Brownie. Don't try to save a buck and spend a life.

Sandman

Upvote 0

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Re: Warning About dangerous Hookah's

Thank you for this information. If you don't mind I would like to quote you on another forum as I feel this should get to as many people as possible. If you do not want me to copy this let me know and I will not. Thanks Harry

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the information.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Sandman, I agree, use the top name brands, but ScubaPumps has been selling for a few years. I have never heard of a problem, and I have seen people using their pumps. They have oilless compressers, and the regulators are like what everyone else sells. The hose is supposed to be breathable air type, which should have PVC hose, and yes you can buy PVC lined hose at Home Depot, and it is what is supposed to be used. You should always run your hookah at first to flush out any trapped fumes from building everything. You would do that with anything like that. A brand new reg or snorkle will taste and smell of plastic, and should be washed and flushed before using, just like a hookah. I flush my hookah hoses if they have sat for while, as the air wont be good in there. I dont know who wrote the post originally, but I assume it was a competitor trying to knock them of a few buyers, that he would be losing, because of ScubaPumps better prices. Or he had no experience at all in this. That one is my assumtion. Many diving regs have no adjustments. Yes, Brownies has been around for a long time, and Keene still sells the same pumps as Brownies did a while ago=Gast PCA-10. The others are new to the scene, as well as the new pumps that Brownies sells. I have 2 Brownies Gas hookahs, and an electric Gast pump(same as Keenes or Brownies old pumps- all Gast PCA-10) But I have used many other hookahs over the years starting with the Johnson Sea Horse when I was young in the early 60s. And I have used the PVC lined hoses from Home Depot. For years. It is the same as the hookah companies hoses. You cant use the red or black rubber hoses, they are the bad ones. You can use the clear reinforced hose that is used for beer taps,You can buy that at Home Depot too!, and you can use the PVC lined air hose from home depot, Lowes, or anywhere else, for breathing air. It is labeled for food grade. I have also used the clear beer tap hose too. Remember all the hookah sellers that you mentioned, dont make the engines and compressers, They might have a certain model made just for them, but they have them put together. And the whole set up is what they sell. I dont know if you(or the original poster) know that. That means they make them, since they bought parts from someone else, like the engine and pump, and bolted them together, and hooked up all the fittings, and frames to hold it all together. I agree go with a solid, long time company, as if any problems happen, or you need a part, but they dont make the parts, someone else does. So they are available. But I did search for goldfinger11 posts, and he only had 2 , both are like this. And yes, ScubaPumps is selling compressers that they bought from another manufacter. And are making money from it, maybe. So buy the portable compresser from Northern Tools and make your own! And get the PVC lined hoses. Keene sells all the fittings, or you could most likely fit it all together at a good auto parts like Napa, or a good plumbing store, and go to any dive shop and get a hookah reg, or go to LeisurePro.com they have good prices on dive equipment. But it is easier to just get a whole set up. And a whole lot cheaper.. Or buy a used one on Ebay.com.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have had problems with hooka when there was no wind. The exaust would suddenly get into the mask. Also no matter what brand name you have it is important to clean your houses!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Sandman, I just checked out their web site. They use name brand compressors. Check their site out for yourself. I think you have been hoodwinked. It's happened to all of us.

HH

Desertfox

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jimb said:
I have had problems with hooka when there was no wind. The exaust would suddenly get into the mask. Also no matter what brand name you have it is important to clean your houses!

You need a snorkel for your air intake. Most of the modern gold dredge makers have added a 3 foot extention to the compressor intake to eliminate this problem.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

And if you use it on the rear area of a boat, or a dock around a bunch of boats or near a building, use a long hose to go up top and get the best air. If you ever taste exhaust, immediatly come up and fix the problem, and flush out your hoses-with air pressure. Yes with no wind and a still calm day, you could have that. Most hookahs come with a short intake pipe, if so, change it to a longer pipe. Get it up in fresh air.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

desertfox said:
Sandman, I just checked out their web site. They use name brand compressors. Check their site out for yourself. I think you have been hoodwinked. It's happened to all of us.

HH

Desertfox

Sure the site says they use good equipment and hoses, do you think they would advertise they used junk. Kansas BBB never heard of them.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

desertfox said:

HH

Desertfox

I found it odd that it was the posters 1st post. Not that anyone's first post can't be of value but it seemed like a competitors rant to me. Better safe than sorry tho.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

What about Octopumps? Anybody have anything to say about this company as I plan to buy one of their units this Spring to replace my old Keene hookah. http://www.octopumps.com/
Thanks for your info. :icon_thumleft:

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
What about Octopumps? Anybody have anything to say about this company as I plan to buy one of their units this Spring to replace my old Keene hookah. OCTOPUMPS.COM - Diving Hookahs
Thanks for your info. :icon_thumleft:
I have the older model lite weight with a Honda motor for 6 years around 50 dives a year at average 2.5 hours each, JUST Flawless . well not totally flawless the sun has bleached out my tube cover.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman, I miss him. :coffee2:

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Wow this an old thread I stumbled on. Was surprised to see I had commented way back then on this subject. So here we are almost ten years later and I finally ordered a system. I ordered the Hookamax 12v unit. Will mainly be used for gold dredging in rivers at about 4-6 feet. Hope to get it into some lakes for some metal detecting once the ice is gone. Any one have the Hookamax unit and want to give me advice please do so.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandman RIP ; Sandman can't answer your threads , He has passed away a few years back

red83hd

Dec 22, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you were talking about flushing your hoses if they sit for awhile, what do you use? is there a solution or mixture you use?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread