Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been sitting here for weeks, getting texts from Snooksion about his finds and although happy for him, getting a bit depressed..
I was kind of hoping that the spinal implant I was going to have would get me back out hunting... The temporary one was placed on the 15th and it was amazing how it improved my walking.... BUT... Just before they took it out (on tuesday), I hit a sandy beach (FW)near me... I couldnt get my MXT to act right. It kept screaming at me like I had a beer can sitting on the coil... Kept lowering the gain down until it stopped... What the heck, I was thinking... Then it hit me... The implant has a pretty strong electrical field... Crap...
So now I am wondering if I am going to have to give up the hobby... What good is MD'ing if you have to turn your machine down to almost the lowest setting??
And in the salt, with the very sensitive Excal, I am sure it wont be much better... But I will have the ability to turn the unit completely off via remote, but then the walking issue comes to play....
Well, I have the permanent implant surgery on the 25th, so wish me luck... I would hate to have to give up this hobby...

BTW, you impress the hell out of me Dave, keep it up!!

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always Coin roll hunt. Thats what I do in the winter

D

digum smacks

hey cristov,it shouldnt effect it that bad,if at all.try the excal.you still got hunting left in you,it aint over yet,plus its easier in the water and you cant get in yet.so that is a plus,land is harder good practice.good luck,and we will send prayers.hang in there.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres allways a way!!!!!!! i like what snooksion suggested, water hunting would be best.
chuck.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is this some kind of electric stimulator? If so, you might be right, I have a large (3' x 5') coil PI and it goes off when near 300' -400' from big -coming into town, high power lines. So maybe you are right. Being a paramedic, when we do an EKG on someones bed who has an electric blanket, it shows up as 60 cycle interferance. Perfect even 60 beats per second, which is not anything like an EKG. We turn off the blanket and all is good. If it is just a piece of metal implant, it shouldnt have any effect.

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
A shot in the dark, but I wonder if there were any materials that would shield the electrical field away from your machine. Could you possible wear a vest with a thin layer of that material to at least reduce the overall effect of the emf. Try talking to a few electrical engineers to see if there in fact any local materials that could be utilized.

I worked in robotics for quite a few years, and I remember that due to emf 's caused by power cables, we ended up having to go to shielded cables with braided stainless shielding in order to reduce the interference on the motor controllers.

I don't know how much emf your spinal implant puts out, but I would think that it wouldn't be so extreme that a bit of shielding around your mid torso couldn't handle. You might even be able to incorporate it into a utility vest for carrying items (eg. a fly vest).

Anyways, just a thought. Hope that it works well for you. Good luck!

Ralph

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Number one, your health is more important. Have you considered being a bottle hunter? All you need is a good spring steel probe, a sifter on a stand and a shovel. Or if you are a diver, go one mile offshore of Venice Beach, FL and dive for prehistoric sharks teeth. I know a guy who has found hundreds of them. Digging for Indian Artifacts can be enjoyed just about anywhere in the United States. There are many avenues of treasure hunting without having to use a metal detector.
Get well soon! :headbang:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aurora64blue said:
A shot in the dark, but I wonder if there were any materials that would shield the electrical field away from your machine. Could you possible wear a vest with a thin layer of that material to at least reduce the overall effect of the emf. Try talking to a few electrical engineers to see if there in fact any local materials that could be utilized.

I worked in robotics for quite a few years, and I remember that due to emf 's caused by power cables, we ended up having to go to shielded cables with braided stainless shielding in order to reduce the interference on the motor controllers.

I don't know how much emf your spinal implant puts out, but I would think that it wouldn't be so extreme that a bit of shielding around your mid torso couldn't handle. You might even be able to incorporate it into a utility vest for carrying items (eg. a fly vest).

Anyways, just a thought. Hope that it works well for you. Good luck!

Ralph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage - no idea how you would wear it

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
Is this some kind of electric stimulator?
yes, electric ... the temp one made my mxt nearly useless. The wires for that one came out of my back, the permanent one will be all internal, maybe that will make a difference. I will be able to remotely turn it off, but then walking will be an issue. The shielding idea is worth looking into..
Not complaining really, the stimulator is a miracle really...

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anyone here ever experimented with Ferrite Core EMI Filters?

They just clip on to your coil cable for EMI Noise Suppression and they are very cheap.

I haven't tried one but noticed someone on Ebay selling them for metal detectors.

Amazon has 'em for a buck!

Attachments

• Ferrite.jpg
    Ferrite.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 170

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread