First day with a Pulse Induction (Whites Surfmaster PI)

PKennett

Oct 18, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First day with a Pulse Induction (White's Surfmaster PI)

I bought a White's Surfmaster on eBay for $385 and had a chance to take it out today to learn how to use it. I am comfortable with a regular VLF detector, but have never used a PI before. First, I want to admit that digging up all those bobby pins is irritating. Also, the beach here in Singapore is just a few hundred meters from one of the largest sea lanes in the world with hundreds of large cargo ships passing by each day. Thus there is a lot of iron. Too much! >:(

But... :icon_pirat:

The Surfmaster certainly does a great job at pulling stuff from salt water. Here is my hall for this morning.
PulseDay1-Sterling3  29.jpg

PulseDay1--30.jpg
(14 Kt)
PulseDay1-Gold 27.jpg
(Sterling)
PulseDay1-sterling1  26.jpg
(Sterling)
PulseDay1-Sterling2  28.jpg
(Sterling)

:icon_thumright:
Peter

Attachments

• PulseDay1-Gold 27.jpg
    PulseDay1-Gold 27.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 959
Upvote 0

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: First day with a Pulse Induction (White's Surfmaster PI)

Great finds! In time, you'll be able to determine the iron signals and can skip them.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Wow, what a great day

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds with the pulse. If I didn't get so tired of digging holes now I would dust mine off.

Texcam

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II

Nice loot.

A few more days like that and you could have the machine pay itself off.

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300

Good hunt - good finds. Get it while you can! Keep workin it. GL and HH

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Great Finds! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I've got that machine too and fell instantly in Love with it. Bobby pins are smaller signals and usually give the double blip. In time you will be able to skip them. The surface ones sometimes give me a problem because they sound so loud .. but scraping the sand with your foot will find those out. Biggest problem is the aluminum bits that are very close to coin size.

HH Joe

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :icon_thumright:

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!

Wow, you kicked major butt first time out!!! :headbang:

Bobby pins usually double beep and with ear training you'll dig much less of them!

There's got to be more gold in that hotspot :wink:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congs Peter on your new machine. It will not take long for you to pay that one off with all those great finds there. Can not wait to see what else you dig up there. Keep us posted....Matt

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds!

Did you notice that the bobby-pins give a double beep signal? So do nails. It's a great way to eliminate iron targets if there are a lot of them.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellant hunt! Fine looking gold ring!

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Nice haul you got there.

I feel your pain on the bobbypins brother...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Welcome to the harsh reality of the super sensitivity that beach pulse machines afford. Yeah they cut through the nastiest of minerals, and yeah they can pick up the teensiest of chains, and go super deep on coins, but ..... it's a bear to avoid iron. There are some people who say you can tell nails by the sound (ie.: double beeps, etc...), but ....... you will find that "nagging doubts" send you back to check an aweful lot of them. And also, the "double beep" audio trick doesn't work on bent nails. Only straight ones. And I often wonder if this "double beep" trick might not also cause persons to pass up a gold stick-pin, or elongated necklace that spread out, etc...

Bottom line is, I've hunted with a lot of guys who've tried beach pulse machines on the beaches in our area (which .... like yours ..... have industrial/commercial history, and some are therefore riddled with nails) and here's what invariably happens. They come to the beach, proud that they "won't miss anything", and will find teensy earing studs through the nastiest of minerals. But if it's a day where mother nature's erosion has left targets as fast and plentiful as you want, they end up pulling their hair out digging 10 iron targets to each conductive target. They "leave for greener grounds" because they can't hack the nails (ie.: go to cleaner beaches, and leave the industrial-zone beaches to the guys with discriminators).

And also figure, that today, there are standard discriminators that can reach pretty durn deep. As deep as a regular beach pulse machine, in my opinion, for regular coin-sized targets. The Excal and Explorer for instance, can reach coins and rings just as deep, in my opinion, as most beach pulse machines. I've dug coins at a foot deep with my Excal, for instance. And even deeper if I switch over to all-metal.

I suppose if someone's working nice clean touristy beaches (Bay-watch type beaches, Hawaii, etc...) w/o a lot of industrial/commercial history, then the pulse would be ok. Or if a beach is heavily black-sand minerals, then you may not have a choice but to use a pulse. But there are other beaches where ....... it's like black-jack. Sometimes you have to play the odds, and if you spend half your day digging insanely deep bobby pins, when there was no lack of targets to begin with for a regular machine, then ..... maybe the regular machine was the better choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions