Anyone every use a DD or butterfly coil? Do they pinpoint as well as a round?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thinking of getting a new to me/used ML Excal, and getting a larger than stock coil, and seeing the choices, wanted to know about the DD and butterfly coils. Do they pinpoint, or is the spot wider? I can pinpoint well with a round or oval coil, even a huge rectangular coil I can pinpoint with, but new to these. Never used one. Just wondering. This would be for wet saltwater sand and shallow saltwater wading. Thanks in advance, Steve.

Upvote 0

Sturgell

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
???????
I prefer a DD to a concentric on my land machines by a large margin. I haven't used one in the water enough to know, pinpointing is a snap once you realize how the coil works and where the hot spot begins/ends. For instance on my Explorer SE and Tesoro with the 3x18 I don't use the pinpoint function I wiggle the coil while pulling back, when the machine stops responding it is just off the toe/heel of the center of the coil.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Have DDs on all my detectors (8 of them) don't think I could go back to an original coil any more. Good luck. I also use a Garrett pinpointer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sturgell said:
I prefer a DD to a concentric on my land machines by a large margin. I haven't used one in the water enough to know, pinpointing is a snap once you realize how the coil works and where the hot spot begins/ends. For instance on my Explorer SE and Tesoro with the 3x18 I don't use the pinpoint function I wiggle the coil while pulling back, when the machine stops responding it is just off the toe/heel of the center of the coil.

This wiggle function works on all DD coils and the butterfly's too. Forget the center as that is to slow.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Excals, one has the WOT, the other has the S-12. I have a Sov GT that I use the SEF 15x18" Butterfly coil on. I have a custom waterproof Sov GT with a WOT that I also used in the water.

I have no problem pinpointing on any of them, most times I use the "X" or toe/heel method on the wetsand. In the water I pinpoint the target by using the toe/heel of the coil, and backing it up or moving it forward till the tone disappears on the front or back toe/heel, I then slide the coil forward or backward half way, mark the back of the coil with my toe, move the coil and start my scoop where my toe is.

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks all, I get it. The hot spot or center of the coil is now a long line that runs down the center. Should be an easy learning to get used to it thing. Thanks for the explanation on how you do it too. I have been using a PI and it has a round, regular coil, and the center is where the pinpoint is, so I should be OK, knowing what you all said. Thanks. Now I have to get used to a whole new machine. Hope I can figure out all the different tones!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting to within 3 ft of target with my etrac with dd,, :headbang: But I could get nearly perfect with my XLT, on the bright side I am getting closer, I used to start digging in the next county :laughing9:

Sturgell

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
???????
Dave44 said:
I am getting to within 3 ft of target with my etrac with dd,, :headbang: But I could get nearly perfect with my XLT, on the bright side I am getting closer, I used to start digging in the next county :laughing9:

I have found that pinpointing with the pinpoint button on my SE (pro coil) is quite difficult. I get within an inch or two by wiggling the coil over a good sounding target and when the sound just starts to change it is right in the v on the front of the coil even at 8-9 inches deep. Try it you may like it and if you don't then I won't charge you for the advice.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sturgell said:
Dave44 said:

I have found that pinpointing with the pinpoint button on my SE (pro coil) is quite difficult. I get within an inch or two by wiggling the coil over a good sounding target and when the sound just starts to change it is right in the v on the front of the coil even at 8-9 inches deep. Try it you may like it and if you don't then I won't charge you for the advice.

So, yesterday I went for a little bit and tried the Sturgell Wiggle method, And the wiggle is a very nice feature! Thank you very much,, who woulda thought it had that function. Also though I finally made the connection in my mind about big iron chirps and solid signals. All of a sudden I feel like a detectorist again,,, Man I was feelin LOW. I feel all warm and fuzzy now. :hello2:

Sturgell

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
???????
Dave44 said:
So, yesterday I went for a little bit and tried the Sturgell Wiggle method, And the wiggle is a very nice feature! Thank you very much,, who woulda thought it had that function. Also though I finally made the connection in my mind about big iron chirps and solid signals. All of a sudden I feel like a detectorist again,,, Man I was feelin LOW. I feel all warm and fuzzy now. :hello2:

I learned it on my Tesoro machine with the 3x18 coil, they are by far the easiest coils to use once you figure out that the hotspot is about a 1 inch line from heel to toe and that using a non-motion VCO pinpointing function is much more difficult than it is on a concentric coil.

I should also mention that I went to a trashy homesite for the first hunt with my SE and I was really frustrated, then I went to a park and did a little coin shooting to figure it out. Now I am much more in tune with the machine when it comes to high conductors, and I will be working on the middle tones for gold and nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread