need to move to florida

furchaser

May 14, 2005
Des Moines Iowa
OK this is no BS i live in Iowa and the winters and snow is getting to me , i love Florida and the beaches , i get down there for 10 to 20 days a year on the bike HD , to swing my thing on the beach , keep it clean . i have a shaved ice and kettle korn business , I'm looking to set up shop close to the beach for the winter and live in my pickup camper then go home for the summer , i have a good thing hear in the summer time , so hear it is where do i go i will be down there in march or April to play on the beach and find some gold and coins HELP!!!!!

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also you like to move somewhere where it is warm in the winters months. But can not talk the other half in moving right now because she would miss the kids and grandkids......Matt

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just remember that weather wise, Floridians pay for their winters come summer time with incredible heat and hurricane threats! :o

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Shave ice and kettle corn biz can work, depending on where you go. Good luck. There are several shave ice rigs in my area, and they do well. They hang out at good corners, and also do parties. kettle corn rigs are at farmers markets, flea markets, that kind of thing, and I guess they do good too. Do both.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get used to the heat in the summer. As far as Hurricanes go other parts of the country have problems such as storms, tornadoes and floods. The only problem in Florida is low wages and high cost of living.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
furchaser said:
OK this is no BS i live in Iowa and the winters and snow is getting to me , i love Florida and the beaches , i get down there for 10 to 20 days a year on the bike HD , to swing my thing on the beach , keep it clean . i have a shaved ice and kettle korn business , I'm looking to set up shop close to the beach for the winter and live in my pickup camper then go home for the summer , i have a good thing hear in the summer time , so hear it is where do i go i will be down there in march or April to play on the beach and find some gold and coins HELP!!!!!

I have lived in Iowa, Fort Dodge, Des Moines, and a couple other small towns while installing telcom equipment, also lived in Mn, Ne, North Dakota, Il, Co, Oh, and Mo so I know what you mean about the ice and snow getting to you.

March and April is spring break down here so just about any beach would be a good choice as far as your business goes. Water is little calmer on the West coast and South Florida beaches then the East Coast beaches at that time of year, but all are busy and a lot of jewelry is lost.....

Good luck on your venture............

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just made the move, moved my parents down here and arrived here on the east coast on Dec 23rd. (I've been in the area a lot off and on prior to the move and always wanted to live here.) The move alone was nearly enough to put me in the ground, needless to say it is a huge task if you don't hire it done, and still a huge task even if you do. However, it's nice not to have to deal with all the ice and snow anymore and even when it's cold down here it usually only last a few days, and even when it is cold you can still get outside without risking slick roads, frost bite, etc. My days are more productive here simply because I'm not losing 3 or 4 months due to harsh winter conditions, my attiude is also much better for these same reasons, I also have more energy and motivation, something that was seriously lacking during the winter months up north, i.e, "no cabin fever syndrome here". But make no mistake, it gets super hot here in July & August and if you're an outside vendor operating away from the beach and water parks you can expect the crowds to start drying up by noon or 1:00pm. During the winter months, it can be sunny warm outside but still too windy and chilly at the beach. It was sunny and 75 the other day when I went did a drive on the beach and I saw only one vender and a lot of vacant beach, just too much wind and chilly air coming of the ocean. I'm from Indiana I've not really noticed too much difference in the daily cost of living, perhaps slighty higher here. It's suppose to be nice here on Friday and I'm hoping to spend "my first free day" at the beach with the Excal and WOT if things are all good with mom & dad. Now that the move is calming down and things are settling in, and given the current weather and long cold months I left behind, I think the move was a good one. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops...."just March & April"......just pick a beach and you should do well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
I just made the move, moved my parents down here and arrived here on the east coast on Dec 23rd. (I've been in the area a lot off and on prior to the move and always wanted to live here.)

Bigscoop, where did you move to down here?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
bigscoop said:
I just made the move, moved my parents down here and arrived here on the east coast on Dec 23rd. (I've been in the area a lot off and on prior to the move and always wanted to live here.)

Bigscoop, where did you move to down here?

Edgewater

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another Iowan...............

I moved here in 1988 , love Florida, though wish I had moved to a beach town to begin with. While it's not impossible, it's not easy getting transfers......am working on it.

Joy

OP
OP
F

furchaser

May 14, 2005
Des Moines Iowa
ha all thanks for the help looking hard at Dayton but any beach town with lots of people will work , are there any hood ::), or bad towns to stay away from , :laughing7: I bet not many gang banger's on the beach :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
furchaser said:
ha all thanks for the help looking hard at Dayton but any beach town with lots of people will work , are there any hood ::), or bad towns to stay away from , :laughing7: I bet not many gang banger's on the beach :laughing7:

You have to be careful and be aware of your surroundings when hunting the beach at night time on any beach here.... I have gone into the water on several occasions at night becasue I was being followed by a shady looking people......They gave up when I went into the water to hunt, was only knee to waist deep.

Insoc

Greenie
Jan 4, 2011
Florida
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The weather here in West Palm Beach, just voted #8 on the Forbes list of Miserable Cities 2011. ::), is currently 82F and sunny. Forbes based the rating on unemployment, foreclosures and a few other things. When it comes to the weather, I don't mind the summers and it's not that bad here. My AC bill in the summer is less then family living up in the Northeast during the winter months. Having lived in the Northeast for over 30 years, I'm no stranger to the winter. Can't say I miss it..

The biggest problem with Florida is the dismal job market, salaries in relation to the high cost of living, home prices dropped but being the state has no income tax is placing some tough times ahead for revenue generation. Recently elected Gov. Scott, has proposed closing over 50+ state parks, to save $$$. Many cities and towns are on very tight budgets, you can imagine what else will be cut that will effect you sooner or later, law enforcement and etc. The state doubled or more car registration fees, driver license renewals and etc.

There are parts of Florida where the cost of living is lower than here, but it may not be near the beach, job market and etc will probably be worse and opportunity will be dismal.

Right now there is no other place I would want to live, but it's beyond perfect here and really anyone can find faults in any area no matter where it is.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been trying to do this for two years! one thing i have found out is employers do not even want to consider you until you are living there. you hust have to pull the trigger and do it!!!!!!!!!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
been trying to do this for two years! one thing i have found out is employers do not even want to consider you until you are living there. you hust have to pull the trigger and do it!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you. This move is something I should have done 20 years ago when I was in my prime and I could have gotten the most out of it. I'm still in good shape and active, but I'm not 30 - 35 anymore either. Life changes like these should be attacked when we're in our prime and we're most capable of handling all the new challenges, we shouldn't wait until later in life when the move has to be made for other reasons. Life is a risk and loaded with challenges no matter where you live it so we may as well accept those risk and challenges in those areas of the country that most inspire and motivate us. Just one of those things I learned by not doing it when I should have. :laughing7:

harleyroadangel

Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another consideration as to which town you end up selling in, is the fees. Daytona is known for steep fees during any of their events. It pays to check all that out in advance.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
furchaser said:

You have to be careful and be aware of your surroundings when hunting the beach at night time on any beach here.... I have gone into the water on several occasions at night becasue I was being followed by a shady looking people......They gave up when I went into the water to hunt, was only knee to waist deep.
Everytime I go detecing there are people sleeping at the beach (which is illegal down here). The last time one guy was set up under one of the Tiki Huts with all his possesions. He was a real shady looking dude with long dreadlocks and big beard. There was another couple actually sleeping on top of one of the lifeguard stands. Don't know if they were homeless or just partying all night, they left when the sun came up. You can have the beach, i'm ready for the woods.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
furchaser said:

Everytime I go detecing there are people sleeping at the beach (which is illegal down here). The last time one guy was set up under one of the Tiki Huts with all his possesions. He was a real shady looking dude with long dreadlocks and big beard. There was another couple actually sleeping on top of one of the lifeguard stands. Don't know if they were homeless or just partying all night, they left when the sun came up. You can have the beach, i'm ready for the woods.

Woods are full of homeless camp sites...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread