Keep the BHID or get an Excal?

Sturgell

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
???????
I will start off by saying I have a BHID with the newer 950 coil and it is a good machine however I would like a DD coil since I have grown to love them in the past few weeks. I am confident that I can mount up a D2 or similar coil and achieve the DD coil but I won't be able to dive. Or I could buy an Excal that comes factory with a DD and be able to dive with it.

I wouldn't be diving deep 15'> with a hookah but I really don't want my machine to flood while I am out either.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you won't be able to take the White's out that deep. Some leak while wading even with the orange O ring..... Having used the Excal out in way deeper water than your 15 foot I can say it won't leak and work very good too. Heck, even the coil on the Beach Hunter wants to float.

I think you answered your own question.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Heck, even the coil on the Beach Hunter wants to float.

I think you answered your own question.

If needed you could always use the Beach Hunter coil as a life preserver...... :laughing7:

OP
OP
Sturgell

Sturgell

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
???????
I think I have too, I have had a few people contact me because of posts saying I might sell the BHID but haven't put it in the classifieds yet. Don't get me wrong the BHID is a fabulous machine but I think the Excal and its 17 tones will suit me better than 3 tones/lights since I also have an SE (that I haven't put too much time on yet) that I have taken to like a fish to water.

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal,

They shouldnt be in the same league. Nothing like hearing everything in the ground.

CB

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I have not heard of the orange gasket leaking.
You can send it to Whites for the 12 in coil or
I saw a post of a 10 inch excelerator DFX coil installed.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
gmanlight said:
I have not heard of the orange gasket leaking.
You can send it to Whites for the 12 in coil or
I saw a post of a 10 inch excelerator DFX coil installed.

They have leaked and the 12 inch coil still wants to float

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all fairness the Beach Hunter ID works fairly well on the dry sand and sometimes near the wet with reduced sensitivity. However I didn't find it to be near as deep as the Excal. I found the surf noise blocked some of the sounds in the head phones and there is no external volume control. We never know if the leaks to the BHID are from faulty closing the case after installing new batteries or what. Also if closing the case during high humidity could also cause trouble when you get the case wet and condensation happens inside.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with all the negative reports i have seen from experienced hunters over the last few years why does whites still put out such a poor detector???
chuck

OP
OP
Sturgell

Sturgell

Feb 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
???????
I don't think it is a bad machine at all, on the contrary it is a great machine easy to use and simple. It is not however purposely built for diving and I think an excal would be better for me because of the multitude of tones that I are growing on me with the SE. I think if White's factory mounted a DD coil it would be the PERFECT machine for a lot more detectorists, as it sits it is very sensitive to small items and discriminates out iron like nobody's business and hits hard on targets in the 9-10 inch range....I learned this on land and got to dig some deep holes. :thumbsup:

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
I've got a BHID 300 and I've never had any issues with it. I don't change batteries at the beach or open it up there. I always make sure the seal is clean and greased correctly before closing it up for any reason.

It hits deep if you run it in all metal and just use the lights to not dig iron. I've also got some bad black sand locations on my beaches and if adjusted correctly it can run pretty quiet. I also like the super fast recovery and as mentioned it does hit well on the smaller stuff.

There's plenty of hunters that use and like this detector. I also own and use a CZ-6A, CZ20, and Infinium. I've made many terrific finds with the 300 and I also like it in fresh water too. JMHO :icon_thumleft:

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I know there are a ton of loyal ex cal fans out there but the BHID is every bit as good a machine! Any of the leaking gasket issues they may have had are gone. I have a new model with the orange gasket and the 12" spider coil and have had no problems at all. I met up with another member from Tnet who has a couple of excal's and we did some depth comparisons on a quarter and I was able to get tones on it a few inches deeper than he was! They are both great machines and they both have their pro's and con's but for me customer service is every bit as important as the quality equipment and that's where White's outshines them all! I know of people that were without their minelabs for months while waiting for a simple repair! that is unacceptable to me!! especially if you live somewhere where you have months of downtime because of winter! and as far as the whole floating coil thing, I don't find the amount of buoyancy to be enough to hinder hunting, if anything it helps you to skim your coil just above the bottom nicely! :tongue3: So I would keep the BHID, send it in to whites for service and they will probably send it back with the new, bigger coil at no charge! good luck with your decision and HH!

Mike

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Never had a problem with mine and this one is the 300 went to the caribbean with a friend who favors a minelab and he brings two of them because of the many breakdowns these machines have Thats two !!
The only problem with this machine I find is that it has no volume, believe me I tried the threshold thingy but this thing is loud My ears are still functioning well because I used earplugs.
Other wise minelab has a good machine there but its just the time it takes for it to be repaired

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
trainer said:
Never had a problem with mine and this one is the 300 went to the caribbean with a friend who favors a minelab and he brings two of them because of the many breakdowns these machines have Thats two !!
The only problem with this machine I find is that it has no volume, believe me I tried the threshold thingy but this thing is loud My ears are still functioning well because I used earplugs.
Other wise minelab has a good machine there but its just the time it takes for it to be repaired

Just add thin rubber gasket material to each ear-cup until you have the perfect volume.
You do this once and it never changes. I found the perfect stuff at Lowe's hardware (easy fix).

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the BeachHunter 300 with great success. I sold my Excalibur and got the White's machine as the Excalibur's weakness is that it will often null on deep gold when in DISC.

I found this out when I investigated a "null".....scraped away a few inches of sand and then no more null but a coin/ring tone !

Sorry, but my confidence was shot when I discovered this out. If you run in AM then all is well.

I love the BeachHunter.....can be a bit chatty sometimes but is plenty deep for me and feels well built.

Hey, I'm an Aussie but I prefer the machine from the USA !!!

Tony.

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lacey333 said:
I know there are a ton of loyal ex cal fans out there but the BHID is every bit as good a machine! Any of the leaking gasket issues they may have had are gone. I have a new model with the orange gasket and the 12" spider coil and have had no problems at all. I met up with another member from Tnet who has a couple of excal's and we did some depth comparisons on a quarter and I was able to get tones on it a few inches deeper than he was! They are both great machines and they both have their pro's and con's but for me customer service is every bit as important as the quality equipment and that's where White's outshines them all! I know of people that were without their minelabs for months while waiting for a simple repair! that is unacceptable to me!! especially if you live somewhere where you have months of downtime because of winter! and as far as the whole floating coil thing, I don't find the amount of buoyancy to be enough to hinder hunting, if anything it helps you to skim your coil just above the bottom nicely! :tongue3: So I would keep the BHID, send it in to whites for service and they will probably send it back with the new, bigger coil at no charge! good luck with your decision and HH!

Mike

Mike is spot on with his post. They are both good machines (with neither being perfect) but at the end of the day it was the BeachHunter that won out for me.

Tony.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions