Another case for PFDs

JMW

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 (10.5" coil), DetectorPro Headhunter PI (8", 11" coils), Tesoro Stingray (8" coil), Ace 250 (4.5" Sniper, 6.5" x 9" coils) and White's Classic ID (8" coil)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This happened last fall but just came across it this weekend.

http://www.necn.com/09/18/10/Fisher...ng_newengland.html?blockID=313676&feedID=4206

Scary thing is, this is one of my hunting grounds where I use waders. The currents in those creeks can get pretty strong. Always considered getting one, but after reading this, I will be adding a PFD to my arsenal.

Upvote 0

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMW, How goes it? Hope all is well! So far 2011 has been great! No frostbite yet :laughing7:, however I need to get a new camera so I can show some of my goodies :(! Haven't been to the beach were we met in about a month or so. I've been pounding a very productive beach with a nice fat cut! Just hope it lasts a bit longer. All these storms have been great!! See ya soon!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If any of you guys use the rubber waders, that arent tight like a wetsuit, you shouldnt. The rubber ones are not for wading in too deep of water, they will fill up and pull you down bad. The type that are made of neoprene and fit tight, are the best, you can go in the water without getting pulled down. PFDs are life vests. Mae Wests, even the tiny inflatable vests are PFD. The thinner types that are commonly used by bass fishermen are most comfortable. Most of the other types are bulky and get in the way. Probably the safeest for wading and metal detecting is a wetsuit, and wetsuit boots.

OP
OP
JMW

JMW

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 (10.5" coil), DetectorPro Headhunter PI (8", 11" coils), Tesoro Stingray (8" coil), Ace 250 (4.5" Sniper, 6.5" x 9" coils) and White's Classic ID (8" coil)
Primary Interest:
I agree regarding the neoprene waders, more buoyant. I love mine, 5 mm thick, keeps me nice and toasty in the water this time of year, too cold for the rubber ones anyway (New England waters are a bit chilly right now). Heading to Bass Pro Shops before the weekend and picking up one of the lightweight manual inflatable PFDs for piece of mind. Can't be too careful.

Good to hear from you, Surfnturf. Glad you're having a great year so far. 2011's been pretty dry as far as gold for me. Doing ok with silver but I've got gold fever bad! I did find a nice Tiffany platinum men's wedding band mid December. Sucker is heavy, weighs a 1/2 ounce.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
If any of you guys use the rubber waders, that arent tight like a wetsuit, you shouldnt. The rubber ones are not for wading in too deep of water, they will fill up and pull you down bad.

I have to disagree. I've fished for over 30 years in mountain lakes and streams, oceans included, with waders of all types and have never experienced any sort of problem with buoyancy or depth restriction. I purchased another pair, a month or two back, from bass pro, nylon type material with neoprene sock -- work great here on the Gulf Coast, all the way up to the chest line, warmth included, and cost me a whopping $59. The one complaint I do have with this particular product, is it does not breath very well. :D

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._-1_10001_44596_151008001_151000000_151008000

I wear a size 11 shoe -- I went with their $21 5 mil neoprene boots in a size 12 to accommodate the neoprene sock on the wader, and its the money.

If waders do fill up, which can/does happen if ya step in a hole, or lost ya balance and plunged in, they are quite easy to take off and you can step right out of them by simply disconnecting your suspenders and waste belt.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear from you, Surfnturf. Glad you're having a great year so far. 2011's been pretty dry as far as gold for me. Doing ok with silver but I've got gold fever bad! I did find a nice Tiffany platinum men's wedding band mid December. Sucker is heavy, weighs a 1/2 ounce.
[/quote]

Right on!!! EBay that sucker! I've talked with some other hunters that will sell good rings with nice stones and such on eBay and get much better than melt! I'm waiting for tax money to get a new camera so i can post ;D, also the wife and I are going to Maui in march can't wait a real vacation it's been years!!!!! ;D

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
I would bet it was probably more related to swimming ability than it was the waders. Here are a couple videos that illustrate my opinion.

Steve :-)

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:
If waders do fill up, which can/does happen if ya step in a hole, or lost ya balance and plunged in, they are quite easy to take off and you can step right out of them by simply disconnecting your suspenders and waste belt.

Try telling that to the guy that just died because he was wearing waders and was swept out to sea...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread