Beach Hunting Question

eddieoko

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, White's Beachunter, White's 5900 Blue and Grey
I have detected for 25 years primarily land. I recently got a beach house in Delaware and have been hitting the beach as much as I can. I have a Whites Beach hunter. Besides low tide, any tips?. I have detected dry sand but this machine works great in the wet sand.
Also when it warms up what is thw best way to detect underwater. Is it easy to swing the detetcor underwater/ in the surf etc.
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks and have a great season.

Upvote 0

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If that BHID has the spider coil you'll have no problems in the surf. But if its the older solid coil with one large hole, they tend to float. This becomes tiresome.I have seen several post that have you filling a
1 dia hose with sand and wire ties to the coil, this works. This machine is spot on its targets id, need to go a little slower than other machines. I use it in All metal mode most of the time.There is also a problem with the battery compartment. check to see if you have a orange or black seal. the black one leaks. Whites will send a new seal if you call them.

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
I also have the BHID 300 with the 12" spider coil and love it in the water! I have had no problems with the coil floating and in the water in all metal mode it picks up targets super deep! If you have an older unit I have heard if you send it in to white's for a check up a lot of times they will replace the gaskets with the orange ones and throw the bigger coil on for no extra charge! Good luck in the water, I prefer water hunting to land!

HH,

Mike

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunt just south of you, OC Md..a few times a year..Great place to detect from mid july to mid sept, waters very ruff, wear a PFD if your going in or near, watch for the rip currents. Swing in the surf, Mid-Alantic, big coil..Good Luck...10inch excal is a bear, 8 inch best. A few pic's from OC and what to look for..conditions are same up your way also. Bottom pic is ment for the summer beach, Gold can be in the lane or down low, best to hit during the summer season, or after a good storm. Lighting within 5 miles, leave the beach fast. Good Luck.....OBn

Attachments

• 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 613
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 627
  • 1 (4).jpg
    1 (4).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 585
  • 1 (5).jpg
    1 (5).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 585
  • 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 583

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Hunt just south of you, OC Md..a few times a year..Great place to detect from mid july to mid sept, waters very ruff, wear a PFD if your going in or near, watch for the rip currents. Swing in the surf, Mid-Alantic, big coil..Good Luck...10inch excal is a bear, 8 inch best. A few pic's from OC and what to look for..conditions are same up your way also. Bottom pic is ment for the summer beach, Gold can be in the lane or down low, best to hit during the summer season, or after a good storm. Lighting within 5 miles, leave the beach fast. Good Luck.....OBn

Wow! Completely disagree! I find 85% of the Gold in the wet cut area below your target area! Gold is 18 x heaver than water and will find the lowest spot to settle. So the lower end of your target zone is the beginning of Gold settling! It's whats being pulled down from the lost finds of the upper beach! That wet trough is the area that has given me the oldest and best finds! At least on my beach!HH :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldebeechnut is wise and know the beaches. The old time master was Norm G.
http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

The BHID is a good detector but I didn't like it in the water because of the floating coil. It just got tiring holding it down but this helped it work great on ashore. If adding a sand filled sock for weight make it easy to remove for dry sand searching. Good luck.... :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every beach is different, the steeper the slope the bigger the difference. I find jewelry in the cut as well as high up on the slope. Jewelry is buried at different depths depending on how long it has been lost and the storm or lack of storm activity, at least that is the way it is down here...... Cocoa has a slope, Daytona and New Symrna are fairly flat....Miami is flat, and Gulf coast is fairly flat.......

If I am not going in the water deeper then mid calf I will hunt from there all the way up to where the dry starts, when I find a target I will spiral out from that target dragging my scoop for at least 20 feet to see if there are more targets, then move on. After several targets are recovered I look at my path to see if there is a pattern and then work it from there.

Summer time I am in the water, ankle deep to chest deep

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Completely disagree! I find 85% of the Gold in the wet cut area below your target area! Gold is 18 x heaver than water and will find the lowest spot to settle. So the lower end of your target zone is the beginning of Gold settling! It's whats being pulled down from the lost finds of the upper beach! That wet trough is the area that has given me the oldest and best finds! At least on my beach!
Being 600 plus miles away I would disagree also, like treasure hunter said..each beach has different possibilities. OC borders Delaware and it's Beach's, hunting conditions are very much the same. Look at the bottom picture I posted, where is the gold in the pic? The beach's here change constantly and it is up to the hunter too change with them. About 120 times I have hit this beach, in 4 years,......... 93 gold rings from here...

Attachments

• SNAG-0004.jpg
    SNAG-0004.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 489
  • 1_(1).jpg
    1_(1).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 649

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being 600 plus miles away I would disagree also, like treasure hunter said..each beach has different possibilities. OC borders Delaware and it's Beach's, hunting conditions are very much the same. Look at the bottom picture I posted, where is the gold in the pic? The beach's here change constantly and it is up to the hunter too change with them. About 120 times I have hit this beach, in 4 years,......... 93 gold rings from here...
[/quote]

The photo with the sloping beach entering the wet cut looks identical to some of the cuts, rips or troughs that I hunt here in N.E. Yes all beaches have special characteristic, in 10min car ride I can be at a completely different style of beach and on the cape alone are hundreds, For Me the wet cut area (like the one in your photo) produces much much more! My first year with the Xcal 67 gold rings........so far in Jan & 1/2 of Feb. 16 more gold rings! Check out the photo I took before sending to ARA...

Attachments

• 2010 gold.jpg
    2010 gold.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 569

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldebeechnut,

That second picture shows the area I made my last beach hunt last year in the middle September. Started at the pier and headed North, Looked down the beach after 15 minutes and there was 6 detectors on the beach, that was it. Went up on the dry sand by the VB courts and play areas, found some junk jewelry and a few coins, but no gold on the day, too much competition that day.

I like to check around sand castles and holes left in the sand. If I strike out in the lane I go back down the dry sand looking for flat spots where blankets may have been. On a beach like OC you never know where you will find that great find.

Ed D.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Surf&turf..my ride is 2 1/2 hours down and the same back. If I lived closer it would change the numbers. Hopefully, I'm retiring in a few...(28months)..then I can challange your numbers....but until then, about 30 trips down a year..
Now do you find your best hunting during the winter? or the season of warm waters. I've Hit the beach once this year......won't go again until july...unless I head to florida..then it will be mostly with a video cam in hand.

very nice collection...

Ed, Yep, I have seen up to 10 hunters at a time on this beach, and that is just at the inlet and up. Lots of hunters on vacation with there families and several locals after they get off work. All good people....along with the crowds.....

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Very Nice Surf&turf..my ride is 2 1/2 hours down and the same back. If I lived closer it would change the numbers. Hopefully, I'm retiring in a few...(28months)..then I can challange your numbers....but until then, about 30 trips down a year..
Now do you find your best hunting during the winter? or the season of warm waters. I've Hit the beach once this year......won't go again until july...unless I head to florida..then it will be mostly with a video cam in hand.

very nice collection...

Thanks!! Your haul is very impressive!! I do hit the beach when I can, often and dedicated. With hard work and persistence, It's payed off! Mostly I just love it. The other bonus is that it keeps the weight off! ;D I Love to hunt in the winter time! Few people and lots of storms (Nor Easters)! Yep it gets cold but when you find some gold things start to warm up! This past summer was assume all spring and early summer we had a very large cut on my favorite beach this helped with the years total! I Think we are already even keeled with each other and the time I spend (2-3x a week & 2-5 hour hunts, day or night, rain or snow)! When you retire (congrads :thumbsup:) I hope you don't rub it in to much!!! :laughing7: If you are ever up here in Beantown let me know and we can hunt together! :icon_pirat:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the invite, I do have a road trip planned after the time I retire, midwest then north to mich., east to Boston, then thur Conn,. NY, Jersey, down the east coast, south to Fl..hopefully getting a few stories, tips, and video of some of the good old boys. Not sure date wise yet but I will be looking forwards to meeting you and some of the pro's along the way. Continue digging that gold Surfnturf......and I'm going to hit that low spot harder next time down to OC......joe

JMW

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 (10.5" coil), DetectorPro Headhunter PI (8", 11" coils), Tesoro Stingray (8" coil), Ace 250 (4.5" Sniper, 6.5" x 9" coils) and White's Classic ID (8" coil)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
surfnturf said:
The photo with the sloping beach entering the wet cut looks identical to some of the cuts, rips or troughs that I hunt here in N.E. Yes all beaches have special characteristic, in 10min car ride I can be at a completely different style of beach and on the cape alone are hundreds, For Me the wet cut area (like the one in your photo) produces much much more! My first year with the Xcal 67 gold rings........so far in Jan & 1/2 of Feb. 16 more gold rings! Check out the photo I took before sending to ARA...

SnT,

You're killing me! Nice haul so far this year! I'm am green with envy.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMW said:
surfnturf said:

SnT,

You're killing me! Nice haul so far this year! I'm am green with envy.

JMW, waiting for tax money to get a camera. The wife has her eye on the cannon 70D ?? Cause were going to Maui in March :hello2: :headbang: :icon_sunny:!! Old camera broke last month and haven't posted any pic's since. One ring I got last weekend is a beautiful Sapphire maybe 1 ct. and 2 small diamonds, just hope its real! Can't wait to post it! Full moon is coming with the -low tides! Hope all is well and keep diggin! :icon_pirat:

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
delaware beaches are fun... i hunted at waters edge.. i find this to be the best area to hunt usually because the keeper to crap ratio is much better... surf hunting is tuff in delaware due to strong waves as previously mentioned- face the ocean while you hunt so you can brace for shock.. be prepared to dig up a lot of brass ordinance shrapnell ,there is plenty of it there... and as far as gold goes..gold is where you find it... ive dug a fair amount of gold in the last year unfortunatly ive never found gold on a salt water beach yet.. happy huntin..

OP
OP
eddieoko

eddieoko

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, White's Beachunter, White's 5900 Blue and Grey
Thanks for all the great advice it is appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread