First day

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I went out and tried my wet suit out for the first time this morning. It was a hard freeze here last night and it was real cold this morning. There was ice on my windshield and I had to wait for it to defrost before I could leave. I must be nuts going to get in the water on a day like this! When I got to the beach you could see the steam or mist lifting off the water. MAN it looked cold! The tide was definitely out. It was the lowest I've seen for a long time. OK so I now was the time to do what I came to do - get in the water and see if I was going to freeze. I waddled myself in slowly. I do mean waddled. As big as I am there was just no way I could do this gracefully. I didn't freeze. I wasn’t even cold, not at all and it was cold outside! I was warm! I was not exactly toasty warm but I was warm. I kept waiting to get cold. I never did. I could feel some water next to my skin but I just was not cold.

Today was just my “test” run to see how I would do. I didn't expect to find anything since its way too cold for anyone to be swimming. I didn't find much but I did manage to find a ring. Yep, I found a ring but don't get too excited it is just a plastic "love" ring. It came up in the same scoop as a broken earring. That was also junk. I found a bracelet but..... it is junk too. It is one of those braided leather ones but it does have a metal catch and that's how I found it. I got 2 quarters, 1 nickel and 1 penny. Not to mention all the junk I pulled up like pulltabs, bolts, nuts, pieces of soda cans and oh yes, a boat plug. LOL

The jacket is a little too tight under my arms and I don’t think it should be quite this snug. I know it is supposed to be snug but not as snug as it is. I'm betting that I'll get used to that.

I had only planned on being out there for few minutes but I was so comfortable that I was there for about two hours. When I got home is when the “fun” really began. I had to get OUT of the wet suit. I was a little worried about this maneuver. Mmmmmm the jacket was the problem. I must have really been a sight to see trying to squirm out of that jacket! I tried all kinds of things and it was not easy but at last I managed to wiggle out. **sigh** I was beginning to wonder if I could do it without help! The long john part was easy to get off. No problem there. I am going to have to work on the jacket part.

Well my first hunt in a wet suit was a success as far as I was concerned. I can't wait to get back out there again! GOLD..... here I come!

Upvote 0
D

digum smacks

wtg.you will find when the wetsuit gets wet it stretches out.when it is dry its tight and stiff.you probably didnt get the top wet so it was tight and hard to take off.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
snooksion said:
wtg.you will find when the wetsuit gets wet it stretches out.when it is dry its tight and stiff.you probably didnt get the top wet so it was tight and hard to take off.

Actually I did get the top wet. It was just awkward wiggling out of the jacket. I had no trouble with the bottom long john part, only the jacket. I really must have been a sight! ::)

NOW to find some gold! I haven't found any this year at all and YOU are going to be hard to catch! LOL :wink:

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
It's good to see you back Mumszie, and in your wet suit as well. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to sprinkle a little bit of talc powder inside of the jacket, that might help. Anyways, am looking forward to seeing all of your finds this season, and yes I bet the sea does look cold at this time of the year, but am glad you didn't feel it.

JedinNC

Jul 7, 2009
Topsail Island/Raleigh, N.C.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II , Nokta Legend, Equinox 600, Excal II, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's M6
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mumszie,
What an inspiration you are! Great job! HH

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Mumszie, I'm glad that you got to try out your wet suit...and you found some treasures, also. :hello2:

Always enjoyable to read your posts.. :icon_thumleft:

Will be waiting for your next water adventure. :icon_pirat:

Lorraine

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What works good for getting into, and out of your wetsuit, is to apply some hair conditioner-just the cheapest will do. I mix it 1/2 water 1/2 hair conditioner, in an old shampoo bottle. Then just put a little in your hand and rub it on your arms, shoulders, and legs, prior to getting your wetsuit on. It also helps to pull your wetsuit off with too. That is mostly for a tight wetsuit, but helps with the feet on any wetsuit. If you are putting a long sleeve shirt on under too, use a slick type, like a sports shirt or rash gaurd for surfing and that should help. Another trick is for your face mask. To keep it from fogging, use some Baby shampoo in the mask with just a spoonful of water, and rub it in and rinse, but dont rinse it all out. It shouldnt fog at all.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
It's a good start Mums. Glad you kept warm in your coooold surf over there. Next time...GOLD. :icon_sunny:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MZ, Remember to always rinse your wet suit with fresh water it will last years longer!! Oh ya bring it inside to dry (I hang mine in the shower after I rinse off), to much sunlight will damage it and its kinda uncomfortable putting on a wet wet suit!

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Try pantyhose for the main part. Sure makes it go on and especially OFF easier. The thin long sleeve shirt works wonders for the top. WTG Great price.. HH Gayle

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Nice post!
Taking off a wet suit jacket can indeed be very tricky sometimes. It's easiest to turn the sleeves inside out for pulling your arms out. Don't try to take it off just like a normal coat.
A friend of mine once bought a new 7 mm wetsuit, went home and tried it on.
Very nice, he was real proud.
Well- it got hot in this suit quickly while in his apartement and he was a really big guy sweating easily. Better take the suit off now- hmm- what the...??- he can't get it off! There is no way to pull it back over the shoulders. He's stuck inside the suit! And alone at home, nobody there to assist. So he tried with a coathanger, tried to hook the doorhandle into the collar in order to pull, tried with a broomstick anyhow- nothing!- it won't work. He's seweating like crazy now and breathing heavily, hands are shaking and the face blushed, he's almost panicking. So finally he went to his neighbours house, asked there for help and they got him out of his suit in the end. We had a good laugh when he told us a few days later.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
wrecker said:
Nice post!
Taking off a wet suit jacket can indeed be very tricky sometimes.

Funny.... I almost paniced too. Oh, not that bad but still I kept thinking of crazy things to try to help me get it off. It took awhile but I finally managed. Now - I can laugh about it too. :wink:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Commendable perseverance seems to be a trait of yours. Good show!

You have my respect!

HH

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had good luck with your wet suit on its maiden voyage Mumszie.
They do make a difference in keeping you warmer in the cold water. And
all the trinkets you found will soon be gold ones. Have fun, GL and HH
to you. Gold Nuggets :hello:

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to trust that your gear will do what it's made to do. I race Catamarans in NJ and we start our pre season prep in March. Air and water temps in the 40s. Yesterday while hunting a beach in NJ there about a dozen Kite Surfers. Water temp is in the 30s, air temps were mid 40s, but with a big wind. Drysuits and wetsuits really do work. Keep testing so you know where the limits are. Go on the coldest nastiest day you can find. Worst case you'll beat feet back to the car none the worse for wear. But, at least now you'll know that, that doesn't work. And, if it does work, well, good news!!! You now know that bad weather doesn't cancel a planned day of hunting. You'll have the beach to yourself on days like that.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ralph , check Craig's list for that beach where I ran into you, some moron said he had a whole bunch of junk watches and watch pieces and that he threw them out in the water for the metal detecting guys.... Have fun !!!!

Sorry Mum didnt mean to highjack the thread

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
mumszie said:
When I got home is when the “fun” really began. I had to get OUT of the wet suit. I was a little worried about this maneuver. Mmmmmm the jacket was the problem.

mumszie we need a video of you getting out of your wet suit top, bet it would go viral on U tube :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread