Disappointment

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
This morning was a really big disappointment. My daughter wanted to go hunting and the only place she wants to go is CWB. Now that is a nice beach - don't get me wrong - but I hate that place. The water was very calm, the tide very low but still I managed only to find 2 quarters and 2 pennies the whole time I was in the water. She did better in the dry sand with a Tonka truck, a couple of sand toys and almost two dollars in clad. **sigh** Soooooo I figured I would take a look at Honeymoon Island. I've heard about this place for years but I've never gone there. I heard it cost $5.00 just to go on the island but I decided to check it out at long last. Well, it wasn't 5 dollars it was 8 dollars! Pretty high price I think. AND the lady saw I was wearing a wet suit and you can see my detector through the window. She said there there is no MD'ing allowed since it is a State Park. **sigh** Well, I already paid my eight bucks so I took a chance and decided to hunt anyway. I figured if anyone said anything I would say I didn't see any signs banning it. I hunted for about 2 hours there and only had two hits. A key with a "K" cut out in it and a pull tab. Well, that certainly wasn't worth the money! My daughter saw a pod of dolphin and tried to take a few pictures but she couldn't zoom in close enough to get a clear show. Darn.... even that didn't go right! As I was getting out there were two park rangers/attendants on the beach and I walked right by both of them. Neither one said anything to me about my hunting. My daughter said she went by them too and they didn't say anything to her either. My total for this morning............. 52 cents and one key.

022011-1.jpg

Ah well........ there's always tomorrow. :wink:

Upvote 0

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for Honeymoon Island, I am pretty sure you can metal detect there, but you are supposed to stay between the water and the dunes (unless they changed the rules). Last year I was told to get out of the water once by a ranger.

Both Honeymoon Island and CWB have tons of visitors each year. Don't give up!!!

:icon_thumright:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Tony in FL said:
As for Honeymoon Island, I am pretty sure you can metal detect there, but you are supposed to stay between the water and the dunes (unless they changed the rules). Last year I was told to get out of the water once by a ranger.

Both Honeymoon Island and CWB have tons of visitors each year. Don't give up!!!

:icon_thumright:

Yup, no hunting in the water at FL State parks..............unless you night hunt

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWB hasnt really been producing (very much) water wise, since December. The beaches are getting crowded, just not in the water due to water temps. Still a ways off for that.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you see Jackie Gleason or any other honeymooners? :tongue3:

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Blind Squirrel said:
Did you see Jackie Gleason or any other honeymooners? :tongue3:

Nah..... Ralph (Jackie) was at work driving his bus (which I used to do for MTA in Miami btw). Ed (Art) was down in the sewers and Alice and Trixie went shopping. LOL ::)

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah..... Ralph (Jackie) was at work driving his bus (which I used to do for MTA in Miami btw). Ed (Art) was down in the sewers and Alice and Trixie went shopping. LOL ::)
[/quote]
Too funny :laughing7:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been a disappointing day Mumszie, but
just think...you now know where NOT to go and the
$8 you spent can go somewhere else next time. HH
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Mumsie,

if its any consolation, went out to the beach this Saturday and found nothign but a few bits of junk. Not one single coin.

And then I saw a sign saying that effective February 28, Brevard County was going to charge $5 per car to park at this beach, and with no re-entry to boot.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mumszie, sorry about your meager finds. If you hit the beach after *just* the right storm/erosion conditions, there can be so many targets, you can't even dig them all :)

But I want to address your other situation, which I believe speaks VERY LOUDLY to a truth in our hobby: That is, there's always someone to "tell you no", but often-time, the truth is, no one cares, till you ask. I too can think of state beaches we detect here, in CA, all the time, in front of rangers, etc... and no one ever cares. But I'll bet you that if I were to go ask, and if they looked long enough and hard enough, they could find some reason to say "no". Guess what the moral of that story is? ::)

One time a fellow here was kicked off a state-of-ca owned beach, by a state archie who just *happened* to be passing by. The md'r spread the word on local CA forums, and several of us got "up in arms" figuring we'd better "set this guy straight" (because we just assumed that state of CA beaches were ok to hunt, since they'd simply been detected, all the time, since the dawn of detectors). However, the more we looked into the minutia, the more we realized we'd better not make waves, and leave good enough alone. The archie probably went back to sacramento anyhow, and it was probably just a fluke that he happened to see the hobbyist out there.

For this reason, I sometimes get suspicious when I hear someone say "such & such place is off-limits". I sometimes wonder if that information isn't born out of some ding-bat, decades ago, going and "asking permission". And then, presto, you get a rule to address your "pressing issue", when the truth is, no one probably cared.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I've been told over and over 'not to ask" but just assume it is ok. It is easier to say "I'm sorry, I didn't know". I think you are right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread