Big Surprise?

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
It should be no surprise what happens when you start finding alot of gold then post your finds and give away too many clues etc... ie what, where, how, why ....

There was this old miner. One day he found lots of gold. It wasnt enough to just be happy finding it, he had to go to town, get drunk, and run his mouth, bragging.
The next morning he was found dead.

If you are finding gold, the smartest thing to do is keep it to yourself.

This is the internet after all. All the info here is accessable by billions of people world wide.

The guys here that are quitting the forum because they are angry about the reprocussions of posting to much info should have thought more before they posted.

Im not putting anyone down, I'm just saying.

Upvote 0

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading on here last summer about a guy who posted a photo of where he had and was finding gold and coins.
The photo was of the wrong place but he and his friends went back an watched and saw that many many people came to the spot. And as what they said it was no one that they new from the site .
This showed me just how many scavengers watch and read this site for places to go and they will do it even if it is someones site that they had been working.
I thought it was funny , but I am glad it was put up for all to see.

After thought. I think it was this site, I will have to check as I was reading a few of the top sites when this happened. I do know that it was stated that they where going to turn this story into the Mag's .

Anyone else remember these post or can find it ?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, if you dont want people on your spots, limit the info you give. Some people take this hobby way to serious,but to each his own.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
the shark pit was a great read till it was pulled,i still say ..@@sss to those who have been greedy...

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mixed feeling on the subject. I work 5 days a week and when I find a spot on Sunday and have to work on Monday why not give the spot away. Most of the time the same spot is only going to produce for one tide anyhow, so share right? Its the beach its not secret. Lots of times we are digging coins 125 years old do you think they were lost yesterday? let somebody get them.There is so many coins lost that it will never run out. Besides its so cool to go back in where someone else cleaned up and pick out the gold or deep ones. That's really why we do it to be better than the next guy, right? How many time have you heard a seasoned hunter say you have to wade through the coins first! In many ways I hope that people go to spots I post will clean up the coins. We call them skimmers here in NJ, especially after a storm. But keep at it after they move on for the real rewards. I think this is called being arrogant, to think your better that the next guy. I call it fun!
Question when you hunt with a buddy does he call you over when he hits a spot, or tell ya he's doing bad till the end of a day. Chose you buddy carefully cause my buddies call me over to help get the targets. Its suppose to be fun!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why several that post on here give false hints to where they hunt :laughing9:

I've even heard of some that put fake posts on criagslist, etc. just to throw some off the trail.

I know now to always say I was at CWB and that I haven't found anything....... :laughing7:

Why should the ones that do all the hard work give their good sites away to the lazy ones? The lazy ones need to put their time in like the rest of us.

I told a certain person a few years ago about a secret spot that I found that no one had hunted before. My first time there I had recovered four rings in no time and a garbage bag full of old style pulltabs (signals everywhere....too many to dig). When I headed back there a week after telling one person there wasn't one signal. Oh well....live and learn.

pat s

Jun 29, 2009
no different than leaving your keys in the car with doors unlocked.you cant expect your car to be there when you get back.good hunting to all.strock

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted my finds but never of a pic of the place where I have been......Matt

OP
OP
G

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
Post all the info you want. Just dont complain about what happens when you give away too much info and quit the forum !

Personally, I dont post my finds nor give out any info about them.

I learned to resist the temptation to brag.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldfever said:
Post all the info you want. Just dont complain about what happens when you give away too much info and quit the forum !

Personally, I dont post my finds nor give out any info about them.

I learned to resist the temptation to brag.

I found a nice saphire ring with diamonds at the end of the season last year, I don't think I have even posted it here yet, I am more then happy to share where it was found.............. I found it on a beach in Florida.... ;D

Point is you still have to get a coil over a ring to find it, saying it was found on St Pete Beach, Daytona Beach, South Beach, Jacksonville Beach, Cocoa Beach doesn't really give a lot away.....Any one that has ever hunted those beaches knows they are H-U-G-E.....

au4me1

Apr 28, 2010
Don't Say to much!

I can't tell you the number of times I have told a ( Friend ) about a great spot( in confidence ) and have had that same person go there when I was not around and even bring others there and say it was there own spot and clean it out fast. If you want to go there again choose your partners carefully!!!

Texcam

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, White's Classic 5 ID, Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
You also have to watch out for the criminals that are reading the post as well.

Never know who is reading forums, cars being broken into and a few people being robbed or attempted robberies while detecting.

Be safe.

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great opinions on this subject. I have been there and done that. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

FranklinRad

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2011
Something similar happened to me sapphire mining in NC. Guy followed me to my hole and pulled out an 18 karat stone.
Biggest I had found was 6.5 karats. I was pretty angry.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually one of the reasons that I am no longer a member of the local club. Some people in the club only want to know where you are finding things, but they don't want to tell you their good spots. I even had one person show me some great finds from a park and when I asked why he didn't invite me along, his response was "We didn't want anyone else to know about it". Fine. The next summer I ran into him and his little "group" at a place that I frequent and we were talking to another person (not a detectorist) about locations and she mentioned a place that I'd discovered and had been hunting for a couple of years, when he turned to me and said (in a not very nice tone) "So, why didn't you tell us about this?". The next weekend, that group was at the other location, cleaning it out. Now I have their competition there all the time.

That's when I knew that I was done with the club. A friend had told me years ago that the only reason people join a detecting club is to find out where others are hunting. Now I agree with him.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread