Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone explain the price increase? Did they change something or what? I'm glad I got mine before the increase.
Also I did a snow test I put a silver quarter in the snow about 6 in. dn. and put a small piece of iron on top of the snow and you loose the quarter in the null of the iron. To me this means iron infested sites will mask good targets?
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I don't think there is a change other than price. They brought the price up on the GT as well which is another known beach detector. Beach detecting seems to be growing big time as all of the glamorous pictures show the fortunes. Unfortunatly competition was fierce last year in my area and only looks to get worse. Some like that this hobby is so popular, but the other side of the coin makes for tougher hunting and fewer finds where areas used to produce. :coffee2:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think they changed the Excal II but if it nulled out on the small piece of iron and didn't pick up the quarter is is operating different than my Excal. Maybe they have dumbed it down on the circuits to save money while raising the price to take care of the cost of repairs.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did you read in your owners manual that the Excal does not air test well, or maybe that was in Clive's book. Speaking of price increase, have you been to the grocery store lately? Talk about price increases, I wonder if other manufactures will be raising their prices so their employs can eat.

With the price of gold up, and MORE people buying detectors, maybe they had to slow sales down to be able to keep up with production, therefore a price increase.

OP
OP
Broken knee

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John (Ma) said:
I don't think there is a change other than price. They brought the price up on the GT as well which is another known beach detector. Beach detecting seems to be growing big time as all of the glamorous pictures show the fortunes. Unfortunatly competition was fierce last year in my area and only looks to get worse. Some like that this hobby is so popular, but the other side of the coin makes for tougher hunting and fewer finds where areas used to produce. :coffee2:
I'm in western Ma, also and I to have seen an increase in md activity and a drop in good finds. Was that you I saw on the other side of that field? LOL On the other hand I don't think a site is ever hunted out? I fish for striped bass and use the mxt on the beach but it is to erratic in the wet sand so I got the excal. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

OP
OP
Broken knee

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
Did you read in your owners manual that the Excal does not air test well, or maybe that was in Clive's book. Speaking of price increase, have you been to the grocery store lately? Talk about price increases, I wonder if other manufactures will be raising their prices so their employs can eat.

With the price of gold up, and MORE people buying detectors, maybe they had to slow sales down to be able to keep up with production, therefore a price increase.
That's not in the owners manual, and I don't have Clive's book either. Every thing is increasing in price except
my labor rate! :icon_scratch:
Thanks Broken Knee

OP
OP
Broken knee

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I didn't think they changed the Excal II but if it nulled out on the small piece of iron and didn't pick up the quarter is is operating different than my Excal. Maybe they have dumbed it down on the circuits to save money while raising the price to take care of the cost of repairs.
I'm going to try it again, I don't think any thing is wrong with the unit. One other thing I noticed when set in auto the depth suffered is this normal or just the result of the air/snow test? I ran a whites 4900 for years and could pretty accurately
determine what I was over by the tone the machine was giving me and it to nulled on iron. when iron was over a good target you would get a more broken good tone if you know what I mean? :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
From what I heard the company (Codan) that bought out Minelab raised prices because they know people will still pay whatever is asked for them... Minelab was bringing in a good chunk of its profits...

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Can Slaw said:

Speaking of price increases have you been to the grocery store lately, or the gas pumps, or the clothing stores, or the fast food stores, or to just about anything else you buy today. According to my uncle inflation is flat and so no one gets cost of living increases. Who's fairy tale world are they living in. Excuse my sarcasm and my flat broke wallet as well. :coffee2: Rick

OP
OP
Broken knee

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craig-PI said:
From what I heard the company (Codan) that bought out Minelab raised prices because they know people will still pay whatever is asked for them... Minelab was bringing in a good chunk of its profits...
Well I guess that makes sense major Co's Profit first. Spring is coming if I'm lucky it wont take to long to recover the cost. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you plan on hunting only gold laying on the surface I would not worry about an air test on the Excal.......I have dug a gold ring that nulled one direction but gave me a good signal 90 degrees the opposite direction when I resweeped the signal. In the scoop that contained the gold ring I dug up was also a small piece of iron which is why I got the null.......

Prices? Gas is $3.39 a gallon :o It use to be for $50 your grocery cart was over flowing, now it fits in 3 small bags....

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Treasure_Hunter said:
Unless you plan on hunting only gold laying on the surface I would not worry about an air test on the Excal.......I have dug a gold ring that nulled one direction but gave me a good signal 90 degrees the opposite direction when I resweeped the signal. In the scoop that contained the gold ring I dug up was also a small piece of iron which is why I got the null.......

Prices? Gas is $3.39 a gallon :o It use to be for $50 your grocery cart was over flowing, now it fits in 3 small bags....

$3.39 a gallon will seem like a good deal when gas hits around $5.00 by the summer! :dontknow: :help:
This price was quoted by a former Shell CEO recently. :-\ ??? >:(

It's already $4.09 at some stations in CA (saw that on the news).

Everything is so dependent on gas! Manufacturing, transportation, and food delivery prices will soar in relation to the Middle East in turmoil.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
According to my uncle inflation is flat and so no one gets cost of living increases. Who's fairy tale world are they living in. Excuse my sarcasm and my flat broke wallet as well.

Say it aint so. Osama Obama said there was no inflation, hence no cost of living increase for SS recipients. Rest assured he, congress, and the senators all have their yearly pay hikes. Must be all part of that Hopey Changey thing.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
DewGuru said:
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
According to my uncle inflation is flat and so no one gets cost of living increases. Who's fairy tale world are they living in. Excuse my sarcasm and my flat broke wallet as well.

Say it aint so. Osama Obama said there was no inflation, hence no cost of living increase for SS recipients. Rest assured he, congress, and the senators all have their yearly pay hikes. Must be all part of that Hopey Changey thing.

This inflation being flat lie is effecting a lot more then just Social Security recipients. Every person in America drawing a pay check is being effected by this lie. For many people it is the only pay raise they get for the whole year.

And as far as for Mr. Obama what happened to that big tax he was going to put on big oil corporations for making huge profits. They can better afford it then the poor working stiffs out here just barley getting by.

Again excuse my sarcasm. :coffee2: Rick

OP
OP
Broken knee

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:
Rockin Chairs Gold said:

JMO It doesn't matter witch side their on they are all Crooked and self serving! In the end the common man pays the price and the BILL. :nono:
Broken Knee

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using my Excal II I have dug several deep gold rings and a platinum that nulled in one direction. I dig out a scoopful and recheck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Les West Central Fl said:
Using my Excal II I have dug several deep gold rings and a platinum that nulled in one direction. I dig out a scoopful and recheck.

On all nulls, I always sweep the null from several different directions, it has proven profitable to do so..... :icon_thumright:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
How is that "HOPE AND CHANGE WORKING FOR YOU" $3.89 Diesel today

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
The old coins we find were a lot of money back in their day. Guess what? They are now a whole lot of money especially with silver and gold at the prices they are at now.

We metal detectorists have machines that can now make some serious money. The only problem is the clad that we find is now worth a whole lot less than it was even just last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread