GPS

rivercatguy

Oct 9, 2004
Indialantic, Florida
Hi guys...........I'm looking for an affordable GPS unit for beach detecting. I'm in Indialantic, Florida and all references here for 1715 Plate Fleet locations seem to be at their best using GPS coordinates. I stopped at Walmart today and they have a decent selection (about 9 different models) ranging from $95. to around $300. What do you reccommend? I don't want something for less money that won't do the job, but I don't want to have to spend unnecessarily either. Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
What I have found about purchasing a gps unit is that the units costing under 200 bucks dont have built in base maps. The units above $200 do ( Generally speaking that is). You may not need a base map if your using it on the beach only. But then, it is nice to have some roads and a coastline to referance your position on that beach.? Hope this is some help to you.? ? I have a Garmin GPSIII Plus and I Love it!? Its been all over the country with me> Its great for marking spots you would like to return to in the future.? Check out The GPS Store.com , good info and prices. HH? ?Dennis

D

Dragon

Been using GPS since "day one" and any one with 8 channels or more will do the job and get you within 15 feet now that selective availability has been turned off. I use an old Garmin GPS 40 and it works great, has every feature except graphic maps, but who cares? The maps aren't that detailed and the maps don't go down to the resolution that the unit will measure. With mine I find deer stands in complete darkness and never wander off the trail or route.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rivercatcatguy, if its treasure hunting you wants to do with a GPS, then this is what I have to say about that. Never go treasure hunting with out a GPS. I am using the GARMIN 12XL that I carry in my pack along with everything else I could possibly need for a long day at the beach. However, I am about to move to the GARMIN eTrex, this little baby can do everything the 12XL can do but in half the size.
Additionally, I purchased the Garmin World map CD for my lap top in order to build a data base of shipwrecks, along with the artifacts that I recover up and down the coast. I am also set up to download and upload directly from the PC to the GPS unit.
I am currently researching the best options for a new GPS for the boat. Up to now I have just been throwing the Garmin on the fly bridge consol and navigating my way with that. This has worked out OK so fare. But my requirements for the boat are a little higher than for the back pack. First I will need a DGPS (differential GPS) aka WAAS enabled, a state requirement for salvaging in state waters. It will also need to be Blue Chart compatible, just because I like the idea of having my navigation charts on an electronic display.
I guess I should have the wife read this before Christmas.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions