Gold ring and two broken legs

Probed

Sep 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
V3i, Dfx, Excalibur
Had an interesting day at the local lake this week. Had my eye out for getting to Duck island so away I went deeper and deeper, closer and closer and then bloop! Down I went into the trench and over my head. My Excal noosed to one arm and scoop death gripped to the other with adrenalin for fuel I rocketed out of my situation with only my legs. Back up and over the slippery boulders beneath me I somehow managed to bring myself back to more stable ground. Then the pain in the lower legs began and by just feeling through the suit I could already detect the swelling but I was still upright and able to move. I figured I severely bruised my shins and decided to continue on. Heck! the 44 degree water could only help me like a cold ice pack so I kept at it and found me a 6 gram 14k large mans wedding band! Well that kept my mind off the pain for awhile. So for a solid week I endured the escalating pain and continued swelling as I dutifully went about my daily metal detecting ways and then finally called to see the Doc. Sure enough green-stick fracture in left tibia and chip in the other. Had I kept up my pace the green-stick would of turned into a compound as I was constantly hinging the break every time I went detecting. Doc says 3 to 6 weeks with little activity and No Metal Detecting! Damm!
Watch those holes!

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You dont often hear of someone getting hurt while detecting. Hope you get better soon! It was nice you got a big gold ring though!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm sorry to read about this mishap, Probed :(

I hope your recovery will be swift so that you can get out there again soon. :headbang:

Congratulations on the gold ring find. :hello2:

Lorraine

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
It is hard to imagine how you could continue detecting for a week with broken bones!!! ouch. well congrats on the ring!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about the mishap and it could have been a lot worse. These debilitating injuries always always seem to happen when the weather is nice so we lose detecting time. Get well soon and remember there will always be stuff to dig.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the gold ring and hope you heal
quickly and completely. Being a dedicated hunter is
great, but you were lucky this time.....careful!!!
Gold Nuggets :hello:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bummer ... Hey get well soon ..OK? You need to find some more Gold.

My right shoulder hurts when I move my arm up and down .. but as long as it doesn't hurt swinging left and right .. I'm going detecting! So I do understand your passion.

(Beats any other addiction I can think of)

HH Joe

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Dang. Sorry to hear...The price we pay for that elusive gold, huh.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
Talk about hardcore :tongue3: sorry to hear this get well soon.
drewan

OP
OP
Probed

Probed

Sep 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
V3i, Dfx, Excalibur
Thanks everyone for the good thoughts. :icon_sunny: I don't post allot but read here everyday so I almost feel like I know some of ya's. I've gotten alot of great info from this site and enjoy reading about what other folks find and their equipment preferences etc. I live in the Seattle area and usually get out at least 5 times a week. Hunt both land and water. I'm self employed so I get alot of opportunities to detect with the down economy. Thats not really me in my avatar, I'm not that handsom. ;D I need to take the time to get my camera to work on this Damm Pc so theres a project to do while I'm layed up. I'm thinking about fabing up a wooden splint boot (no metal fasteners) like the one I'm supposed to wear so I can get out there cause I'm going stir crazy and I don't want to waste the good pain pills on just couching it. Thanks again for the "get wells".

Joe

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Good Heavens! I can't imagine hunting in the pain you must have had! Talk about hardcore! WTG on the gold and I hope everything goes well and you get back out there soon.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get well soon ok !
And another thing , I do not know how old you are but you do not look my age . I was like you and pushed non stop and did not let most anything stop me from going on. Now I am paying for this in ways you cannot even begin to think of at the time when I did what it took .
Slow down and heal or you will be setting out many days of using the detector in the future if you keep doing what I did .

Don't mean to be preachy , I just know what happened to me and do not want anyone else to do what I did. Did not work out well in the long run . :-)

OP
OP
Probed

Probed

Sep 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
V3i, Dfx, Excalibur
Thanks Daedalus for your advice. That pictures just for fun til I get a better one and I'm 50 btw but think Im 21 sometimes.

Joe

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you heal soon and are able to go out and enjoy your hobby again without pain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread