What beaches is it legal to hunt and keep on??

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hello Treasure Seeker,

As far as i know ( so dont quote me) SC beaches are OK for MD'ing.
I am sure there are a few areas where the sea turtles lay eggs are off limits.
It would be best to call if you know where you will be going.

The only drawback is you are Required By Law to be at least 50 years old,
wear black hard leather dress shoes, white socks that must come above the ankle,bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian style shirt and a big straw hat.
LOL. Just kidding. The Straw hat is optional.

Hope you have fun,

Mike in SC

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Here in Southen Cal the state beaches are legal.permission is need for private beaches.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have no trouble in NC or SC beaches, so long as your not at a National Park. Natch, private beaches you need permission, but here again you should be ok so ling as your in the water and don't come ashore on someones property. Never show anyone what you've found!

Sandman

OP
OP
T

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys...

Yeah, I was somewhat homing ALL the beach between the dune and the water were somehow owned by the state and OK to detect... Oh well.. There are enough public beaches to keep me busy for my 6+ months here.

Any recommendations on how to get started beach hunting? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to beaches.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Seeker, go to this site to learn how to detect a beach. thegoldenolde.com/

Sandman

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
At the Outer Banks of NC you can MD from Duck down to Oregon Inlet. Once you cross the bridge to Pea Island all the way down to Cape Hattereas is National Seashore. MD'ing is a felony offense there.

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
So Cal or No Cal, even Low Cal (where I live) -- there is no such thing as a "private beach." California law says all beaches are public access. Yes, the limit is the high tide line, but there must be public access to every inch of beach below that point.

As to the state beaches being okay, I don't know about that. I've had some state park rangers tell me that even the beaches are off limits, at least in their specific parks. Best advice? Ask a ranger, get their name if they say okay. Even better -- get it in writing.

City beaches: Here in Sandy Eggo, it's okay -- I've had cops and lifeguards kid me about what I've found, but not a one has said "go away."

HH!

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
My experience detecting in the beaches in Puerto rico is there is not such sign " DO NOT DETECT HERE, OR THERE, OR IF YOU FIND SOMETHING OLD BELONG TO THE STATE, DO NOT TRASPASS" ECT. all beaches are free to detect and own anything you find no matter how old is it, believe me or not, you find more coins than any beach in the US. :)

Amona

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's a story that when I think back on it, it makes me shake in me boots! My wife and I were on a carnival cruise. I packed my detector as I always do while traveling. We made a call in Montego Bay. My wife and I went to a private beach where you paid admission. I started detecting the sand and shallow water. After about 30 minutes I had found several interesting coins and it appeared to be an undetected beach. All of a sudden a security guy in uniform came up to me and wanted to know what the heck I was doing. I naturally didn't say anything about what I had found but just told the guy it was a hobby of mine, to metal detect beaches. He told me to immediately stop. I stopped quicker than the blink of an eye! The last thing I wanted was to be hauled off to the local police station in Montego Bay, Jamaica!!!!

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
CoinSniper said:
Does anyone here know if any beaches in Maine are illegal to MD on? 1 specific beach of interest would be Old Orchard Beach.

Just yesterday I went to the Pemaquid Beach and Park near Bristol. It's a pay to enter public beach. The guy taking the money told me it was ok. All I found was a nickle, a Canadian penny, a childs toy car, and a bunch of trash. The beach had just been graded and I was using a low end detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread