Bummer morning

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
This morning my daughter decided she wanted to go with me. We arrived at the beach before it was light but as last time there were hunters already there. In fact the two I spoke to last time were the ones that were there this time. One is down here on vacation from Kentucky but didn't give me his name. We hunted and hunted but most of what we got were pull tabs and a few coins. We got stopped by a security guard and told not to hunt a certain area around picnic tables and to cover our holes. We DO cover our holes! I told him that the ones he was referring to were not ours and as I went by them I even kicked sand in those but he said he watched us and we were not covering our holes and then proceeded to give us a lecture on how people run on the beach and step in those holes and get hurt. I swear we WERE covering our holes. Neither one of us generally digs very deep anyway but we ALWAYS cover up those holes so I do not know what he was talking about! We didn't argue with him. We just told him that we would be sure to do it in the future but it did make me mad. He could not have seen us leave any uncovered. I have always lectured my kids (when they go with me) to cover the holes. I guess you can see I was a little upset by this. I hate being accused of something when I didn't do it!

When it got light enough I went into the water. I hunted for about an hour before I looked up and saw a pod of dolphin pretty close to me. I edged my way into shallower water. I am a coward. LOL I found another quarter in the water, a large heart-shaped hoop earring and a cell phone that had apparently been in the water for a while.

As we were leaving my daughter also found a cell phone and this one was working! It hadn't been dropped on the sand very long ago. We packed up and started home and about 15 miles down the road the cell rang. I told her to answer it and see if she could find out who the phone belonged to. Sure enough it was the owner trying to locate his phone. I told her to tell him that we would turn around and bring it back to him which we did. When we got there he didn't look like he could afford a decent meal but he offered us a couple bucks for bringing it to him. I think he needed the money more than we did so we declined. He kept thanking us over and over. I accepted the thanks but told him no to the money. We stopped at another beach on the way home but to tell the truth by that time we were both so tired that we just did not stay there.

My finds only

031811.jpg

Cellphone031811.jpg

It was a beautiful day and we got to see some dolphins and we got to "chat" with a couple MD'ers sooooo it was not such a "bummer" morning after all. Only the part with the guard. Still, I'll take it and look forward to tomorrow's hunt! :wink:

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, I'd say that was quite a morning, Mumszie...sorry for those troubles.

I had a bummer whole day yesterday....still trying to forget it all ;D

Good luck on your next time out there.

Lorraine

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have had that guards boss out there , and I would have told him to be real careful calling me a lair.
People like him like to make them selves look self important when they are not. If I were you I would have his company on the phone looking for his boss .
I do not blame you for being mad , I would have been also. And I would not have stopped in till some one above him set it straight .

If you have a camera take it with you and record this guy and what you do. Then tell his boss you are going to put it up on YouTube for all to see how guest are treated , I would say it will not take long for the company that hired them to say good bye to the bunch .

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mumszie. I wouldn't let what the security guard said to you get you down. He was just jealous that you could be out there on the beach enjoying yourself while he had to work. It's like working in a candy store but not being allowed to sample the merchandise :tongue3:

I would say congrats on the finds but.....at least you got to the beach to hunt, I had to work....I guess I'm envious too.

See you on the beach.

HH

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wouldn't worry about the security guard, consider his pay grade and move on. He probably doesn't have enough authority to do much anyway, except trying to intimate people.

It least you can go enjoy yourself, the can't ;D

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have let him call me a liar. I may have ended getting thrown out, but his boss would have heard about it. Letting someone like him get away with stuff only leads to worse things.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Must be one of them "Experts" I heard about... Jerk. Hey lets also make the kids fill in their sand castles...wouldn't want to trip now...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mums,

Unless you were up real close to the hotel, I would have reminded him that in the State Of Florida, the public owns the beach not him or the hotel. He can't do squat if your on the public beach... I know you, I know you cover your holes like all good hunters do...... :icon_thumright:

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
hey there Mumszie,

Thanks for going and detecting that area again. I agree about the bummer, wonder if the security guy would have said anything if I was there detecting with ScoopZilla!!!!! Do ya really want to see a dug hole Hmmm wonder if he would fit into one. But of course after I dug the hole with ScoopZilla and dropped the security guy in it, yep, you betcha I would ave refilled my hole!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread