Will the Whites Beach Hunter or Surfmaster Plus Work on dry land?

Johnnyboy3115

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Hello out there,

My name is John and I am going to be joining the MDing world shortly. I have been doing a lot of research in finding the right detector for my needs, and I have narrowed it down to the Whites Beach Hunter or the Surfmaster Pro (although probably the Surfmaster Pro). I will be primarily using it for the beach, but would like to take it to local parks or around the house. I was wondering if either of these two machines are versatile enough for this purpose?

Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Hi This is Robert.If you just want to seach the beach, on land or shalow water and creeks. I would really suggest Minelab SGT!!!!! You may not want to use the head phones all the time.The SGT has an external speacker.head phone jack and can be mounted several ways hip ect....

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
the surfmaster plus is all metal all the time, you get on dry land with this machice an you will go nuts, you will get a signal with almost every step.there is alot of trash iron laying in parks. if you want to do both with 1 machine, then about all you got is the beach hunter or minlab excalibur too choose from. or just have 2 machines, that do really good for there purpose.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Minelab has an underwater detector for you pricly but worth the investment "The Excalibur 800." will work on land too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to have one machine that does it all means that it will do it all badly. The surfmaster Pro has no discrimination, which was pointed out. At a salt water beach it is deep, but again you will dig deep for a nail. Plus, being a water machine, it is heavy. The Beach Hunter II has a salt water mode for the beach and it has three tone ID with lights too. It discriminates well and will work fine on dry land, but again it's heavier than a comparable land unit. The best water machine I believe is the Minelab Excalibur 1000, about $1,200.00 bucks, but for land I would use something lighter like a DFX or Explorer II. Both have visiual screens to id the probable target.

If you don't think you will trip and fall in the water, you could get by lots cheaper with one good land unit that can be hip-mounted and used in both areas so long as it has a salt water mode.

Don't pinch that nickel thinking you'll save a dime. A good detector pays for itself quickly.

Sandman

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i have an older Excalibur, the ones before the 800 and 1000... it has an 8" double d coil so it is the same as the 800 it works pretty good on land (i havent tried in the water yet) it is pretty heavy but you get used to that..... after using it my bounty hunter doesnt weigh anything lol...... yes the excal does work greta on land and there are 17 different discrimination levels

OP
OP
Johnnyboy3115

Johnnyboy3115

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2006
Well, what I have decided on is a Whites Surfmaster. I am aware that discrimination does not exist, but Id rather be picking up mroe signals than nothing at all. I am getting the unit, 1 week old, for $400, so I figure I am getting a pretty good deal. Maybe in the future when I earn a bit more money, I definately want to purchase the Minelab Excalibur 1000 or 800. It would be nice to test both units and really feel the difference. I figure the Surfmaster will be a better first MD for me. Ill keep everyone posted as to my first haul. I cant wait to get out there!!! Thanks for all the advice!!

liverpoolfc

Oct 9, 2005
liverpool, uk
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus and a Fisher CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i couldn't imagine going to a park with a PI machine.
it would end up smashed around a tree within 2 minutes.(thats not a joke btw)
i use a fisher cz6a everywhere inland (parks,fields etc..) i also use it at the beach,dry sand and wet sand and it's a fantastic machine,i dig loads of coins over 12".
when i go near the water i use a fisher cz20 which is basically the same machine in a waterproof housing.
i could get away with using the cz20 for the beach and inland(i did before i got the cz6a).
i'd never ever use a PI inland,no way.imagine digging a 2 foot deep hole in a park for a nail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread