Cleaned up that "V" nickel as best as I could ....heres a pic .

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• Picture 7287.jpg
    Picture 7287.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cleaned up that "V" nickel as best as I could ....here's a pic .

Aside from using steel wool on it and ruin the thing I don't know. I've never seen those copper dots before. You did good. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

Sandman said:
Aside from using steel wool on it and ruin the thing I don't know. I've never seen those copper dots before. You did good. :thumbsup:

Thank you , Sandman; someone told me to soak the coin in Palmolive liquid soap and the copper may get re-absorbed. I'm going to try it..even though the coin has no value other than $.05. If it was in valuable condition, I wouldn't even touch it.

Lorraine

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I have had coins that were unknown, and heavily crusted, and soaked them in vinegar. After a day, it was still there but when rinsed, it did flake off, and the crust was peacock crystals, and the coins were copper pennies that were under the sand in the ocean. I do know the copper does come out of the coin. In old cobs, which had a tiny bit of copper sometimes, they would very often have a green crust, called Verdigris which I think translates to green grey in Spanish. Sometimes they would have a black silver oxide crust, either way they would clean up fine with diluted muratic acid. As for yours, the palmolive wont make the coin reabsorb the copper. I dont think anything will work. Either leave it like it is, or with a tiny dental pick, and magnifying glass stand, pick each one off. Of very carefully use a knife. If done wrong either will scar it.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:

Thank you for all that info, Steve...much appreciated

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread