Toe of the dune?

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Good question...Around here I say where the sea grass starts is the toe to me...but that is my assumption..

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I would stay out of any dune area with any vegetation growing on it.

A "flat dune"
th_flatdune.jpg

Toe of the dune
th_dunetoe.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metaldetectorguy said:
Good question...Around here I say where the sea grass starts is the toe to me...but that is my assumption..
What he said.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My research shows it a place after the last vegetation growth, on the dune. Also while researching it seems most localities have a rule that there be no beach raking within 25 feet of the Toe. This allows for growth. I am guessing from our point of view this would include digging?

OP
OP
B

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm yeah, some places the growth is a bit... sporadic... most of it though is in one main line.... Just occasionally you get those one or two plants that want to blaze a trail...

Marye

Greenie
Aug 11, 2008
Frontal Dune
The first dune located landward of the ocean beach. The N.C. Division of Coastal Management defines this dune as the first dune having sufficient vegetation, height, continuity and configuration to offer protective value. The toe of the frontal dune is the seaward extent of the frontal dune and it begins where the contour of the dune rises up from the landward extent of the ocean beach creating a distinct change in slope or elevation. Where an erosion escarpment exists on the seaward edge of a frontal dune, there will often be no visible toe of the dune and the erosion escarpment will represent the seaward extent of the frontal dune.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions